OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 06:03:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turkey pulls envoys to Canada, France  (Read 7220 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2006, 08:48:03 AM »

so I was right - Serbs are cheese thiefs!!!
BLASPHEMY!!!  You Sarma stealing, Haluski calling, cascaval thief!!! Anathema!!!

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2006, 08:56:43 AM »

BLASPHEMY!!!ÂÂ  You Sarma stealing, Haluski calling, cascaval thief!!! Anathema!!!

What on earth is Haluski? And I fail to see how the Latin speaking Romanians can possibly have stolen a Roman cheese from Serbs. What happened, did some ancient Serbian explorer visit Rome on an excursion from the steppes and teach them how to make cheese? Maybe you should think of writing a novel: The Cascaval Code? Anathema indeed!  Wink

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2006, 09:09:44 AM »

What on earth is Haluski?
It's derived from my all time favorite OC.net post here http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6373.msg83558#msg83558

I thought Haluski was Romanian... ooops Undecided

What happened, did some ancient Serbian explorer visit Rome on an excursion from the steppes and teach them how to make cheese?
I'm revising Serbian history.ÂÂ  My research indicates we were in the Balkans prior to the ice age... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12402157/ LOLÂÂ  Tongue

In fact, I think I will be writing a book, it's going to be calle "Serbia; The dawn of civilization and cheese".ÂÂ  Tongue Grin
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 09:10:24 AM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2006, 09:40:37 AM »

It's derived from my all time favorite OC.net post here http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6373.msg83558#msg83558

I thought Haluski was Romanian... ooops Undecided
I'm revising Serbian history.ÂÂ  My research indicates we were in the Balkans prior to the ice age... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12402157/ LOLÂÂ  Tongue

In fact, I think I will be writing a book, it's going to be calle "Serbia; The dawn of civilization and cheese".ÂÂ  Tongue Grin

Good luck with the novel and the historical revisonism! Haluski is not Romanian (not even possible given the lack of a 'k'). From what I gather it seems to be the same as sarma? If that is the case and if sarma are stuffed cabbage leaves (usually sour, made like sauerkraut in Romania and stuffed with mince meat, rice, herbs etc.), then the word for one is also sarma and the plural (which is what you will usually hear) is sarmale. Personally, I think you stole those two, but I'd have to do further research.

James

P.S.
I guess you're with me on the entirely Orthodox origins of baclava, though?

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2006, 10:24:44 AM »

I thought Haluski was Carpo-Rus or Russian; the best Haluski dish I ever had came from a Carpatho-Rus priest.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2006, 01:43:31 PM »

btw, how much $$ will it take for you to speed up Serbia's integration to Eu ?ÂÂ  Wink
hmmm....workin on it Wink
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2006, 04:27:49 PM »

Don't you guys know that the Srbs are slavicised Basques? Basques were the very first people in Europe, we're talking cro-magnon times..  Wink

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »

I thought Haluski was Carpo-Rus or Russian; the best Haluski dish I ever had came from a Carpatho-Rus priest.

Sarma?  I thought they were golubtsy?   Tongue  What is the polish name for them?
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2006, 06:29:12 PM »

"Haluski" may correspond to Romanian "galushti" Huh
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2006, 02:25:54 AM »

"Haluski" may correspond to Romanian "galushti" Huh

Perhaps, but as galusti are dumplings that would mean that there was a fair change in meaning as well as pronunciation. Glad to see that my offhand remark about cheese has led to yet another discussion on Balkan food! It's always fun to rib the Serbs here Cheesy (mainly because they all seem quite happy to take it as the joke it is intended for).

James

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2006, 08:26:25 AM »

(mainly because they all seem quite happy to take it as the joke it is intended for).
Joke???  Who said anything about joke?  I'm assembling a militia to find you across the pond and see to it, that you are taken care of appropriately.  Tongue

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Tags: Armenian Genocide Turkish Republic 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: