Author Topic: Turkey pulls envoys to Canada, France  (Read 8253 times)

Offline SouthSerb99

• Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Now Internet Forum Friendly
    • Save Kosovo
Re: Turkey pulls envoys to Canada, France
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2006, 08:48:03 AM »
so I was right - Serbs are cheese thiefs!!!
BLASPHEMY!!!  You Sarma stealing, Haluski calling, cascaval thief!!! Anathema!!!
"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2006, 08:56:43 AM »
BLASPHEMY!!!ÂÂ  You Sarma stealing, Haluski calling, cascaval thief!!! Anathema!!!

What on earth is Haluski? And I fail to see how the Latin speaking Romanians can possibly have stolen a Roman cheese from Serbs. What happened, did some ancient Serbian explorer visit Rome on an excursion from the steppes and teach them how to make cheese? Maybe you should think of writing a novel: The Cascaval Code? Anathema indeed!  ;)

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline SouthSerb99

• Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Save Kosovo
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2006, 09:09:44 AM »
What on earth is Haluski?
It's derived from my all time favorite OC.net post here http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6373.msg83558#msg83558

I thought Haluski was Romanian... ooops :-\

What happened, did some ancient Serbian explorer visit Rome on an excursion from the steppes and teach them how to make cheese?
I'm revising Serbian history.ÂÂ  My research indicates we were in the Balkans prior to the ice age... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12402157/ LOLÂÂ  :P

In fact, I think I will be writing a book, it's going to be calle "Serbia; The dawn of civilization and cheese".ÂÂ  :P ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 09:10:24 AM by SouthSerb99 »
 Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here

Offline jmbejdl

• OC.net guru
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2006, 09:40:37 AM »
It's derived from my all time favorite OC.net post here http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6373.msg83558#msg83558

I thought Haluski was Romanian... ooops :-\
I'm revising Serbian history.ÂÂ  My research indicates we were in the Balkans prior to the ice age... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12402157/ LOLÂÂ  :P

In fact, I think I will be writing a book, it's going to be calle "Serbia; The dawn of civilization and cheese".ÂÂ  :P ;D

Good luck with the novel and the historical revisonism! Haluski is not Romanian (not even possible given the lack of a 'k'). From what I gather it seems to be the same as sarma? If that is the case and if sarma are stuffed cabbage leaves (usually sour, made like sauerkraut in Romania and stuffed with mince meat, rice, herbs etc.), then the word for one is also sarma and the plural (which is what you will usually hear) is sarmale. Personally, I think you stole those two, but I'd have to do further research.

James

P.S.
I guess you're with me on the entirely Orthodox origins of baclava, though?
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2006, 10:24:44 AM »
I thought Haluski was Carpo-Rus or Russian; the best Haluski dish I ever had came from a Carpatho-Rus priest.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Timos

• High Elder
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2006, 01:43:31 PM »
btw, how much $$ will it take for you to speed up Serbia's integration to Eu ?ÂÂ  ;)
hmmm....workin on it ;)

Offline Sloga

• High Elder
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2006, 04:27:49 PM »
Don't you guys know that the Srbs are slavicised Basques? Basques were the very first people in Europe, we're talking cro-magnon times..  ;)
Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »
I thought Haluski was Carpo-Rus or Russian; the best Haluski dish I ever had came from a Carpatho-Rus priest.

Sarma?  I thought they were golubtsy?   :P  What is the polish name for them?

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2006, 06:29:12 PM »
"Haluski" may correspond to Romanian "galushti" ???

Offline jmbejdl

• OC.net guru
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2006, 02:25:54 AM »
"Haluski" may correspond to Romanian "galushti" ???

Perhaps, but as galusti are dumplings that would mean that there was a fair change in meaning as well as pronunciation. Glad to see that my offhand remark about cheese has led to yet another discussion on Balkan food! It's always fun to rib the Serbs here :D (mainly because they all seem quite happy to take it as the joke it is intended for).

James

Offline SouthSerb99

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Save Kosovo
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2006, 08:26:25 AM »
(mainly because they all seem quite happy to take it as the joke it is intended for).
Joke???  Who said anything about joke?  I'm assembling a militia to find you across the pond and see to it, that you are taken care of appropriately.  :P
 Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here