OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 10:21:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World Cup Germany 2006: Serbia and other football discussions  (Read 1263 times) Average Rating: 0
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« on: May 04, 2006, 11:53:35 PM »

Continued from:  

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=8940.0

MS: Hey hey...watch it now.  Argentina is a good team.  I like them. By the way, any news of Egypt getting in the World Cup?

They are indeed a great team and they have tied Brazil in the qualifiers of South America. Players like Riquelme who can orchestrate the midfield and produce cunning passes to direct the offense are valuable to any team. But their star, Riquelme, can blow hot and cold. He sometimes comes up empty. There is of course other players like classy midfielder Luis Gonzalez, defender Ayala and Crispo, and the new Barcelona sensation Messi, but it seems to me that Peckerman (the coach) is still searching for the right blend. They got a humilitating loss from Brazil in Fifa Confederation Cup (4/1), and every since they have been evaluated differently.

But I am optimistic concerning Serbia chances. They are by far more talented than a Greek side that shocked Europe in 2004 and won the Euopean championship, and they are an organized tea, defensively oriented but have a great attacking power. They have influential Inter Milan midfielder Dejan Stankovic and Atletico Madrid's Mateja Kezman. I personally think that while they are great players, they compliment the crown jewels in the defense in its back four, marshaled by Mladen Krstajic, Goran Gavrancic, Dragutinovic and Manchester United Nemanja Vidic. They allowed one goal in 10 games, only to Raul, and this will come very handy against teams that have their strength in their attack. If Serbia's defense is in form in the tournament, they will neutralize Messi, Robben, Ruud Van Nistelroy and Drogba. They might produce another Greek 2004 run, completing an eastern orthodox sweep of major football tournaments in two years.

By the way, is the Ukraine and Czech Republic considered also EO nations ? Not that it is relevant to football, but just out of curiosity.

As for Kezman's display of Christ's icon, I believe he is brave to do so specially in Europe where public display of faith related signs is not welcomed. I assume that being from Serbia and having experienced the turmoil of the past two decades, there is little that can go worse. However, it is nice to see that in football fields.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Egypt, they did not qualify and it was no suprise. Football, like any other sport, is an industry that needs management and strategy, and it is almost missing in all venues of life in Egypt since 1952. Sports, in particular, is a very corrupt place in Egypt with few exceptions.
The football confederation cannot keep a coach for more than a year, and sometimes a few months. They hire some very obscure coaching names and when a honest confederation takes the helm, they do not last. The fedeartion hired a former legend in Tardelli , who was a legendary players in Italy's winning side in 1982 but has a very poor coaching record, and he got a ridiculus high salary and sent Egypt out in four games. Once he was replaced by Shehata, a former best African Nation Cup player (1974) and a great coach, for a relatively low salary, Egypt won the African Championship of 2006 for a record fifth time. Ivroy Coast, who qualified to Germany 2006 on our expense, was beaten twice in the way to the championship. Now, the Egyptian confederation is fighting this winning coach and wants to fire him at all costs because he is a man of honor who is not learnt in the dirty tricks of the sport. They want to bring back one of their followers. There is a lot of financial gains in hiring a coach, without going into details.
In such enviornment, no success can be planned. It is mostly coincidental. The local league cannot produce any good environment for players. When you watch some of the refereering errors in the league, you must but question whether they are bribed or not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Among the African teams that qualified, Ivory Coast and Tunisia have the best teams. However, it is unlikely that Ivory Coast would advance from the group of death. They have Drogba, Chealsea's top attacker and Aruna Coni, and a very disciplined team and experienced coach in Henry Michel, but they have extremely tough foes in Holland, Serbia and Argentina. Could happen, but very unlikely.

Tunisia is another story. They are also a very organized team, an experienced yet young side, have a great coach in Lumierre who won the European championship in 2000 with France, and feature Hatem Tarabulsi , one of the best right backs in the world, Namushi, Bo Azizi, Zairi, and other good players. They have Suaid Arabia in their group, and they can easily take them, and Spain and Ukraine are formidable opponents yet can be dealt with easier than the group of death.

The rest of African teams will probably have some embarassing moments. Ghana has Italy and the Czech Republic in the same group, and both are top teams in Europe. USA is becoming stronger and more organized. Ghana failed to make it past the group stage in the African nations Cup in March, loosing to Nigeria and Zimbabwy. They were without three key players, so it is hard to judge them based on that.

Angola and Togo also failed to make it past the group stage in the same championship, and they have sacked their coaches and managers, and are in a mess just a month before the tournament. They will face France, Portugal, Mexico between them, and I just hope they do not concede many goals.

But african teams are never predictable. Nigeria's 90's team was a star studded team that won the 1996 Gold medal in Atlanta and should have made it at least to the semis in 94 and 98, yet they failed. Algeria in 1982 had a memoriable victory over a brilliant German side, yet lost to a very substandard Austria in the subsequent game. African teams never lacked the talent, they lack the heart and organization to achieve and live to their full potential. The players take the national team as a stage towards playing in Europe, and then it is their last choice to join the national team. Therefore, the seeding based on previous results usually makes names like Togo and Angola qualify, because their opponents who delivered in the past years just lost interest.

Elisha: Btw, where are you located...the UK?  Egypt
I used to live in Egypt since the age of nine, but I have relocated to North America some years ago and live between the States and Canada for the time being.
I did not have the chance to visit the UK for a long period, but I wish I can spend some time on the country side in the UK once I have the time and money to do so.

Did you suspect I live in the UK because I am a football fanatic like the English  Cheesy, or because I use the word "football" instead of "soccer" ? I am not sure why North Americans refer to their rugby like game as football.  Grin . It is neither played by foot nor is it a ball but an ellipsoid.  

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 02:08:10 PM »

Stavro,

Another excellent post!

My fam is a bit football nuts to.  Back when Crvena Zvezda played in the European Cup final vs. Olympic Marseille, my father and I made the trip to Bari from Canada.

As for SCG, I think they are in tough with Argentina and Holland (and even Ivory Coast - who plays a style that gives Serbia some trouble).

You might recall what happened the last time Serbia played Holland in a major international competition?  I think the final was 5-1 for the bad guys. LOL  Teams that are physical, play long balls and are constantly attacking, give Serbia fits (or at least have in the past).

Typically, we play well against ball posession type teams (like Brazil, Argentina, Italy & Spain).  Also, we are an excellent defensive squad and *can* be explosive offensively.  We also have a few tricks up our sleave, boasting 6'7" striker Zigic, who give defenders fits in the box.

I think it is possible we could qualify, but we would need a lot of help.  Here is how I see it going...

SCG vs. Holland:  Hope for a draw.  We will NOT beat the Dutch.  Call it 1-1.

SCG vs. Argentina:  Counter attack, counter attack, counter attack.  Hopefully we catch them snoozing on one of the counters and we win this game in a real snoozer. 1-0.

SCG vs. Ivory Coast:  IC could easily win this game, especially if typical Serbian complacency sets in.  This is a MUST win game.  If we really come to play, we win this game comfortably.  Call it 2-0.

Those results would put us through to the second round.

As for other Orthodox nations.  I'm not sure if you would consider the Ukraine or the Czech republic Orthodox.  I would tend to think Ukraine more so than the Czech republic, the Czechs have the better team.  Heck, they've got some OC's, so I'll put my support behind them too. LOL Grin

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 02:14:46 PM »

You mean "soccer"  Wink

When I was growing up, REAL Americans played REAL football!  Grin
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 02:15:43 PM by TomS » Logged
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 02:18:50 PM »

Reminds me of the ad on ESPN with the English "soccer" player and the ESPN broadcaster.... "you guys should call football, soccer, and keep football as football, that way, both England and America will have football and soccer, only your football, will be our soccer and vice versa". Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 07:39:22 PM »

the Czechs have the better team.  Heck, they've got some OC's, so I'll put my support behind them too. LOL Grin

Like who? Is Miroslav Matusovic Serbian or what?

We will lose to holland because our best defender vidic will be out,  we will for sure beat Ivory coast if we dont settle for the running game with them and let them run the tempo, but the second game against argentina is the deciding game. It wont be impossible to beat them, they have flopped last 2 times and going back to world cup 1990 well... :'(

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 07:47:27 PM »

Continued from: ÂÂ

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=8940.0

As for Kezman's display of Christ's icon, I believe he is brave to do so specially in Europe where public display of faith related signs is not welcomed. I assume that being from Serbia and having experienced the turmoil of the past two decades, there is little that can go worse. However, it is nice to see that in football fields. ÂÂ

It makes me feel very good inside knowing that he is such a great patriot even after everything that he has gone through. First he went 2 years without scoring a goal for the national side, for which he ws heavily critisised. Then people began claiming he was not even serbian, or Orthodox for that matter. But even I was fooled because his last name seems slovenian and well, Mateja is sort of a lost Serbian name, replaced by Matija or Matej. He ended up having one of the biggest and most traditional Orthodox wedding in the worlds biggest Orthodox church in Beograd Roll Eyes Heck, even if he isnt Serbian by ancestry, he is whatever he feels he is, and he seems to feel he is Serbian  Smiley

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 11:13:49 PM »

I thought Mateja was Serbian for Mathew, in which case not only is it Serbian, but it's Biblical. LOL

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 06:22:20 AM »

You mean "soccer"  Wink

When I was growing up, REAL Americans played REAL football!  Grin
You mean "grid-iron"? Wink

When I was growing up, REAL Australians played REAL football!  Grin (aka Rugby League)

League doesn't have people wrapped up in cotton-wool. There's no 'special teams' that only play for 30seconds. The game that is played for 80mins goes for about 80mins; grid-iron, I think, goes for about 3 hours, doesn't it with all the time-outs, and stoppages. Sounds really boring.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 07:30:41 PM »

Peace,
SS99:My fam is a bit football nuts to.  Back when Crvena Zvezda played in the European Cup final vs. Olympic Marseille, my father and I made the trip to Bari from Canada.
It may seem like being football crazy  Smiley, but a football fan can always feel the devotion of a fellow football fan and totally understand his duties as an orthodox fan. I actually remember this game against Marseille quite well, and I followed the Red Star Belgrad campaign during this tournament because of the extraordinary results they produced. Being a Bayern Munich fan myself, I was devastated to see the second leg in the semi-final tied by an own goal by the Bavarian team 2/2 and therefore Bayern was denied a place in the final. The first leg of the semis, 2/1 for Red Star by virtue of Pancev and el-genio, the Cobra goals, was the first european defeat for bayern on home soil. Ever.

But it was a deserved win and the final featured the two best teams in 1990/91 competition. How did you feel when Pancev converted the winning penality or when the penality of Amoroso was blocked ? I do not remember the name of the goalie.

I still believe it was most unfortunate for the Serbs that a great team like the team of the early 90's was not given its full chance to compete to their full potential. It was a football tragedy. Many names did not live up to their full potential because the national team is very important for the reputation of any player.

SouthSerb,
do you know which channel or network carries the broadcasting rights for the World Cup 2006 in Canada ?

I wish your predictions come true, and I have a feeling that Argentina will bow down early in favor of Serbia and Holland. Ivory Coast is a formidable opponent. If they play their usual defensive game with the Blitz counter attacks, they can be very dangerous.

Sloga:but the second game against argentina is the deciding game. It wont be impossible to beat them, they have flopped last 2 times and going back to world cup 1990 well

The quater final in 1990 should have gone in the favor of the Yugoslavian team. They played a better game against a very ugly and physical Argentian team, who would fit in the American sport culture better than in the finess and magic of football, a team that should have never made it past the group stage and who set the ugly tone of a dull tournament. With Maradona wasting a penality, one cannot ask for more from heaven and to spoil such opportunity is a great loss.

I believe another motivation for Serbia and in fact any team in the group of death to advance is that fact that they will pick up either Mexico or Portugal in the second round, which are not as tough as the group teams and have shown signs of collapse in advanced stages of the World Cup before. Then, they will pick up two team from (Germany, Poland, England, Sweden) in the way to the finals. These teams suffer many problems between injuries, loss of form, having an adventurer at the helm (i.e. Klinsman) and being inferior talent-wise than any group death team. This is by far easier than the nightmare matchups in the lower bracket featuring (Brazil, Italy, France, Spain, Czechs, Croatia).

You mean "soccer" 

When I was growing up, REAL Americans played REAL football
By real Americans, you mean the native Americans ? Smiley

I still wonder why this rugby-like game is called football. It is not a ball, it is a thing that a drunk person invented alongside the election system, and it is not played with the foot. One could have called it Butt-ball, or noseball, and it would have made no difference.

I feel bad for the USA football team. Even when they play in the US, they are faced with an opposing crowd who jeers them for 90 minutes. This is a unique position for any sports team. Even the Clippers have fans and have a place they can call home. I remember during a WC qualifier, in a game against Mexico, and in order to eliminate any presence of Mexican fans among the immigrants to US (legal or not) , they transfered a game to some place in the North where there are no immigrants (maybe Idaho or so, in a potato field) and played on a Saturday, very early in the morning, and it was snowing. Behold, the stadium was still packed with Mexicans, die hard fans of football.

It was a dull surprise upon my arrival to the US to find that most sport channels in the US, cable or not, except for Fox Sports World, would put Football (soccer) on their list of interests after the major four sports and then other very exciting sports such as tennis, squash, ping-pong, fishing, Golf (really exciting and breath-taking), water ballet, women basketball, feather ball, women cooking sporting event, Nascar, Stone Throwing competitions, ...etc.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: