OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:24:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who was Bishop Chrysostomos?  (Read 1097 times) Average Rating: 0
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« on: May 04, 2006, 02:47:36 PM »

In some of my readings, I have come across references to a Bishop Chrysostomos, who seems to have been an Old Calendarist bishop. Could someone give me some basic info about who this was, where he had his see and any interesting details they know about him?

NULL
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 03:19:32 PM »

He's still alive. He resides in Etna, California, and is the Synodal Exarch for America for the True Orthodox Church of Greece, Synod of Metropolitan Cyprian, an offshoot of my Church (the main Greek Old Calendarist Synod).

He spends most of his time lecturing and generally staying out of the Old Calendarist polemics scene these days.  He still writes books on other topics.

If you have specific questions please feel free to ask them to me via Private message and I will answer them if I feel I can.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 03:30:33 PM »

He's still alive. He resides in Etna, California, and is the Synodal Exarch for America for the True Orthodox Church of Greece, Synod of Metropolitan Cyprian, an offshoot of my Church (the main Greek Old Calendarist Synod).

He spends most of his time lecturing and generally staying out of the Old Calendarist polemics scene these days.  He still writes books on other topics.

If you have specific questions please feel free to ask them to me via Private message and I will answer them if I feel I can.

Anastasios

Wait your Church? of Saint Markella? or you have one down there in the south?

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 04:21:18 PM »

I'll assume in this post that the Bp. Chrysostomos you are thinking of is the same one that Anastasios mentioned. If that is the case, then that fellow's writings used to be the majority of the content on Orthodoxinfo.com, so many people might be familiar with his writings though not remember his name. He always struck me as very intelligent and learned, but also cold and condescending. One of the things that put me off with him was that it was common for him to complain early in a writing how others used pejoratives and were generally just being mean, and then he would do the exact same thing later on in the same writing. He also seemed to have a very unrealistic and romanticised notion of Orthodox praxis. Before my first visit to an Orthodox parish I had been reading a lot of stuff online, and my general perception of what to expect was derived primarily from his writings. Boy did I get the suprise of my life! Only later did I learn that very few parishes, if any (for long) abided by all the "proper" Orthodox practices, as given by Archbp. Chrysostomos. On the other hand, he's written some very good and balanced books (as opposed to articles and letters, where he is less guarded and speaks more freely). His book Scripture and Tradition (co-written with Bp. Auxentios), while coming in at less than 100 pages, is nonetheless the best introduction to the Orthodox view of the Scriptures that I've read yet. And at $6 at Amazon.com, you can get it at a good price.

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 05:05:10 PM »

Asteriktos - that would be the one, as I found stuff about him first on orthodoxinfo.com

NULL
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 09:47:34 PM »

Photios,

When I mentioned "My Church" I had in mind the Church as a whole, not the parish, but to be clear, my parish Church is St Markella's--there is no Old Calendarist Church in North Carolina so I am a member of that parish.  There is hope for a mission here to be started at some point.  As for what I do on a given Sunday, I worked out an arrangement with my bishop that is pastorally satisfactory for my family.

In Christ,

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: