OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 06:12:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Did You Pick Your Screen Name?  (Read 9350 times) Average Rating: 0
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2006, 02:09:26 PM »

Panagiotis:

My chrismation name.

Christ is in our midst,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2006, 02:26:22 PM »

alexp4uni = (Alex)ander Sajam (P)uthukkunnathu 4 Unity
 my families 3 generations has always had the name 'Alex' in different variations; Alexkutty, Alex-Chaachan(younger and they keep that name for a while) and Alex achaan (elder) Smiley
OrthodoxAndrew
Unworthy of being called Orthodox

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Andrew the Apostle

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2006, 03:15:53 PM »

I'm Orthodox and my name is Andrew. Tongue

"Do what you want in order to send me as soon as possible from this transient life to eternal life. I am Christ's slave, I follow Christ, for Christ I die that I may live with Him!" - St. John of Decapolis before his martyrdom at the hands of the Turkish Muslims.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2006, 10:11:52 PM »

I'm typing in the foetal position (very difficult)

LMAO
I got a sudden vision of you drinking coffee through a straw and trying to type with your toes (a nice play on words there!)
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2006, 11:09:59 PM »

Oh, please elaborate on this one.ÂÂ  Grin

Elaborate? Come, come now...surely after my being on this board for as long as I have been you know of my great love for controversy and scandal Wink You dont think this developed only recently, do you? There is still a heavy convert influence on this board, but not the bias that I believe was here when I first came. There are still the haters of hellenism as well, but their voice is far from overpowering (the interesting thing is that these people tend to be converts to slavic-churches, but not slavs themselves). So while my screen name may no longer have the full usefulness it originally had, I'm sure it still irks a few, making it worthwhile Grin

(you don't think I take this message board too seriously do you? Wink )

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
retzev

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2006, 12:10:10 AM »

retzev (retzef) is a Hebrew term that translates "continuous motion". As a semi-driver, I likes it  Grin
The Somnifacient Joseph

Faith: In my heart, and in my head, Orthodox

Perspicuous Interlocutor

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2006, 03:12:52 AM »

Just signed up here, but anyways my name is essentially self-explanatory.ÂÂ  My name is Joseph, and if any adjective is applicable to me, it is somnifacient, meaning "to cause to fall asleep."ÂÂ  Which is what *most* people want to do when I consistently and inanely bring up the topic of my faith, or just philosophy in general.ÂÂ  

I guess I just don't understand why discussing religion/philosophy is seen as such a boring task by much of the general populace?ÂÂ  Might also have something to do with the fact that I am still a young guy and would rather discuss metaphysics than clubbing, when in fact most people my age would rather discuss the converse.ÂÂ   Huh

"The greatest happiness is to know the source of unhappiness." Fyodor Dostoevsky
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2006, 09:09:07 AM »

admiralnick comes from a couple places.

My high school english teacher gave me the nickname Admiral since I always seemed to be mentally out somewhere else when we were in class and he assumed my mind was sailing on the high seas.... Nick is the shortened version of my first name: Nicholas which I believe means Victory of the People.

The only victories I see here are:

A) Fantasy Football
B) Brett Hull being dubbed the greatest Hockey player of all time.

-theCOMMISH

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2006, 02:11:51 PM »

I overlooked this thread during my 'vacation'.

Much as I'd like to fib to my OC.net friends and piously claim St. Aristokles the Elder of Cyprus, my username, from an earlier period of Demetri's life, is Plato's real name.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2006, 02:20:48 PM »

I took my moniker from John Keble, who preached the sermon that marked the start of the Oxford Movement.
donkeyhotay

Jurisdiction: Greek

"God, Who provides for all, will not desert us"

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2006, 03:30:15 PM »

I just so often feel like Don Quixote, tilting at windmills.

I even have a Dulcinea.

A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge.
-Abba Xanthias
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2006, 05:11:28 PM »

I guess I just don't understand why discussing religion/philosophy is seen as such a boring task by much of the general populace?ÂÂ  Might also have something to do with the fact that I am still a young guy and would rather discuss metaphysics than clubbing, when in fact most people my age would rather discuss the converse.ÂÂ ÂÂ  Huh

I've never understood that one, either.  I've just figured out to steer away from the topic if people around me start looking sleepy.  Tongue

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2006, 07:27:24 PM »

I've never understood that one, either.ÂÂ  I've just figured out to steer away from the topic if people around me start looking sleepy.ÂÂ  Tongue

Its simple. People don't want their inadequacy of knowledge of the subject to be shown.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2006, 10:28:36 PM »

QuoVadis - is one of my favourite old movies, that tells vaguely the last days of Christ and the beginning of the New Christians.  What does QuoVadis mean?  I think it's Latin, and means, "Where are you going?" - are good applicable question for all people - where are you going?

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Troldhaugen
Holy Royal Martyr Alexandra - Pray for us!

Jurisdiction: Converting to Russian Orthodoxy

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2006, 10:46:38 AM »

Well, as any classical music fans will know, my screen name comes from Grieg's Peer Gynt, the piece titled, "Wedding Day at Troldhaugen". I love this piece so I adopted Troldhaugen as my screen name.  Smiley

"One must have only a little patience-and is it really so difficult? For every day that passes quietly I thank God"
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2006, 05:32:27 PM »

I could tell you but then I'd have to.....
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2006, 07:00:40 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

How did I pick 'Cephas'?  Simple, it's my name in Syriac.  Everyone does the whole Greek or Latin translation, so why not be different.   Grin

Please pray for me.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2007, 12:59:33 AM »

Marat is my cat's name. I named him for Marat Safin, a tennis player from Russia, of whom I am a big fan. I find it an appropriate screen name for this forum since he insists on sitting on my lap while I type posts
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2007, 01:53:58 AM »

I took my screen name out of Harry Potter; the Riddikulus charm.  Wink

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2007, 02:28:01 AM »

The "bel" in Lubeltri comes from Bellairs---John Bellairs. http://www.bellairsia.com/

I am known as Baeda Venerabilis on the catholic-convert.com forum. Baeda is my confirmation name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venerable_Bede

I am also known as Childermass in other contexts. Childermass comes from Professor Roderick Childermass, a character in the novels of John Bellairs. http://www.bellairsia.com/c/c_childermass_roderick.html
FHL

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2007, 02:49:16 AM »

FHL: Faith, Hope, and Love

"Let us love one another first, then in an atmosphere of love we can discuss theological matters." - H.H. Pope Shenouda III
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2007, 02:51:30 AM »

A large portion of my family is from the city of Udin in Friûl, hence the name.   Smiley

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2007, 03:34:21 PM »

Punch is a cigar brand named after a famous puppet curmudgeon.  The cigar is straight and to the point without a lot of fancy frills, and I tend to be a bit of a curmudgeon myself.  While I have taken a liking to the Davidoff cigar lately, most people that know me think that the Punch fits my personality much better.  What does this have to do with religion?  Nothing.   Kiss

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2007, 04:12:24 PM »

aserb as in a serb. I am of Serbian descent.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
SmoT
I am a verb
Banned

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2007, 04:37:21 PM »

I chose the screen name "SmoT" because I admired greatly an individual by the screen name "TomS" that used to post here. His wisdom and caustic wit was truly a blessing on this board and is sorely missed.

"I'm not saying you have to SmoT her or anything..." - Asteriktos
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2007, 04:42:06 PM »

Mine is a bastardization of another nickname of mine, Stilts.  Whilst in a recording studio, our producer could not remember to call me Stilts, but called me everything that sounded like it.

At one point, he said, "Hey..ah..um..Schultz!  Tune up!"

Being 6'5" and over 3/4 German descent, that stuck.

I also see nothing, hear nothing and know nothing.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2007, 05:34:31 PM »

Scamandrius is the name of Hector's son in the Iliad who was hurled to his death from the heights of the city by Neoptolemus, the son of Achilles.  Scamandrius, named from the river, Scamander, on whose mouth Troy was located, is better known to mythology students as  Astyanax, but I thought calling myself "king of the city" was a little too presumptuous.  As a teacher of mythology, I just came up with something different rather than Achilles or Odysseus or Oedipus, etc.

Scamandrius

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2007, 11:55:46 PM »

Brother Aidan - after the Celtic monk, saint and evangelizer of northern England, St. Aidan of Lindesfarne.
My priest never asked me to pick a name-saint when I was chrismated and I didn't know enough to ask to do so. I probably would have picked St. Aidan as my name-saint.

I will now comment on a sub-topic running through this thread:
I would have to say Lemieux was the greatest single talent of all time and could single-handedly turn a game like no one else. Gretzky the greatest player because, well, he holds most of the records. He also was blessed with longevity, protection (McSorley) and a bunch of great players alongside him (Lemieux didn't have much of a supporting cast until the Cup years and the several years after the 2 Cups).

I don't know, but watching Sydney Crosby now for a season and a half, he may become the all time best. And with Malkin, Stall, Whitney, Fleury, Malone, Christenson and Welch, he is going to have the supporting cast that Gretzky had. He could use some protection, however (I predict the evolution of a new species in hockey: the enforcer who can actually skate and play).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 12:00:14 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2007, 02:10:16 AM »

Tamara is my first name and it is also my baptismal name. I was named after my Syrian grandmother, Tumrah (in Arabic).

I was always told that my patron saint, Tamara of Georgia, was a refined, feminine Queen who ushered in the golden age of Orthodoxy in her country through building many churches and monasteries. She was also known for her patronage of poetry, art and education.

But I recently found out she rode into battle with her army against the Muslims when they invaded her country. She and her army defeated the Muslim tribes and because of her courage many of the Muslims converted to Orthodoxy.

Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2007, 12:22:20 AM »

St. Tamara is my middle daughter's Matron and Intercessory Saint.

Tamara, meet:

Tamara, my 2 year old!

Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2007, 12:49:17 PM »

St. Tamara is my middle daughter's Matron and Intercessory Saint.

Tamara, meet:

Tamara, my 2 year old!

Panagiotis

Your daughter is beautiful. The name Tamara is very popular among Russian and Syrian Orthodox women. I  know of at least two women who are Arab-American pk's with that name.  Smiley
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2007, 02:17:22 PM »

Mine is a corruption of St. Valkheedix of Utrecht.  Amatuer taxonomist and patron of perpetually annoyed service industry workers.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2007, 07:53:34 PM »

I chose the screen name "SmoT" because I admired greatly an individual by the screen name "TomS" that used to post here. His wisdom and caustic wit was truly a blessing on this board and is sorely missed.

Yes indeed.  Where have all the flowers gone?

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2012, 07:26:42 AM »

Thread revival time!

My name "ironchapman" comes from my e-mail which I developed in the eighth grade for my computer applications class. I was attending Chapel Hill Middle school, so I took the "chap" from there and added "man" because I'me a guy. I originally went with "goldchapman" because gold was a school color, but I forgot the password to that e-mail. Tried "silver" with the same result. Then, I looked at the periodic table in my school-given agenda book. First metal I saw was "iron", and I made sure to remember it. It's been that way ever since.

Nerdy, but it's unique enough that it's never taken. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:27:15 AM by ironchapman » Logged

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »

Thread revival time!

My name "ironchapman" comes from my e-mail which I developed in the eighth grade for my computer applications class. I was attending Chapel Hill Middle school, so I took the "chap" from there and added "man" because I'me a guy. I originally went with "goldchapman" because gold was a school color, but I forgot the password to that e-mail. Tried "silver" with the same result. Then, I looked at the periodic table in my school-given agenda book. First metal I saw was "iron", and I made sure to remember it. It's been that way ever since.

Nerdy, but it's unique enough that it's never taken. Tongue

Nerdy is always good! Smiley

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2012, 08:01:52 AM »

Wow, this is an old thread to revive. I see that I posted in this thread almost exactly 6 years ago (had I waited until tomorrow, it would have been exactly). My answer, of course, still remains the same as it did then, but I'm really wondering if there's any way of changing it. It looks just like a meaningless jumble of letters (even though it isn't) and I'd much rather have something obviously meaningful. Not sure I'd want to create a second profile though - I like how old this one is, even if I wasn't here for many of the intervening years.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2012, 08:09:45 AM »

James,

You can pm the admins to get your name changed (Fr. George), which is what you're asked to do anyway as you aren't allowed to make a second account. Fwiw I don't mind the jumble, it actually makes you stand out... I mean, no one else has a jumble quite like that! Grin But yeah, contact Fr. George if you want it changed...

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »

Similar thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,22115.0.html

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »

This one was the first one I saw when I searched "Screen name". Didn't think to search "nick".

Merge them or something?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2012, 11:17:28 AM »

Gabriel is my Baptismal name and I'm a proud Scots-Irish.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »

My Baptism name.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »

It was the name of a band in my hometown in the late 90s.

I have used it since buying their record in high school.

I am no longer loyal to the band, which no longer exists, but it still works as a screen name and I have not seen it replicated elsewhere.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »

Mine's obvious, I'm sure. The verse in my signature:

"With zeal have I been zealous for the Lord God of hosts" 1 Kings 19:10

It amused me to use the word "zealous" to describe the word "zeal".

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »

I figured it was just redundant repetition (my favorite kind!) or something. Though your signature would be a better explanation  angel

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »

I had a heart transplant hence "second chance."

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: