OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 07:34:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Did You Pick Your Screen Name?  (Read 9101 times) Average Rating: 0
Sarah

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: May 04, 2006, 09:52:33 AM »

There are some interesting screen names on this board, and I was just wondering how everyone picked the one he/she uses.

Mine is simple--Sarah is my chrismation name.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 09:57:30 AM »

Mine has nothing to do with Orthodoxy.

SouthSerb, is where my family comes from; Southern Serbia (Polog Valley currently).

99 is for the greatest Hockey player of all time (Wayne Gretzky).  So there you have it!

Good topic, by the way... although I can sense some pending controversy. LOL

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 10:00:03 AM »

Mine's easy, too.  Veniamin is my chrismation name (as well as the Russian variant of my birth name).

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 10:01:41 AM »

SouthSerb, is where my family comes from; Southern Serbia (Polog Valley currently).

99 is for the greatest Hockey player of all time (Wayne Gretzky).  So there you have it!

I have to admit I wondered about yours.  Wink

What "pending controversy" do you sense, though?

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 10:03:03 AM »

What "pending controversy" do you sense, though?
A couple of controversial names, which have caused a bit of an uproar. LOL

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 10:08:26 AM »

(S)herman (D)avid Cheung = sdcheung my secular name.
I use it all over the Internet.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 10:12:49 AM »

"Pedro" is "Peter" in Spanish, which was my chrismation name.

I've since been tonsured a reader and took the name "David" (my actual given first name), but since everyone here already knew me as "Pedro," I just stuck with it and put up the icon you see there to the left.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 10:19:33 AM »

In Greek, my name means something like vacillating. I may by flaky, but I'm an honest flake!  Cool Previously my name was Paradosis, which means something like tradition in Greek. With that said, I don't know a lick of Greek beyond a few a theological terms here and there.

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 10:36:54 AM »

Ebor is the abbreviation for "Eboracum" the latin name of the city of York in England which is the *other* place with an Archbishop (Canterbury being the primary one).  When an Anglican bishop signs an official letter he will use the abbreviation of his see along with his name.  For example the Archbishop of Canterbury (the "ABC"  Wink ) would sign something "+Rowan Cantuar"  Some places don't have latin names so, as another example, Desmond Tutu would sign as "+Desmond Capetown".

Now, I'm not The Most Reverend and Right Honourable Dr John Sentamu (the new ABY), nor any kind of cleric nor in England.  My 'net handle is a kind of clue that I'm not EO but Anglican.  Pretty obscure, isn't it.   Cheesy

And that's probably *way* more then anyone really wanted to know.  Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 10:46:35 AM »

Well, mine is pretty obvious....

Perhaps through the direct intercessions of St. Christopher the Great(est) Martyr, whose name day is fast approaching, was I led to go by the name pretty much everyone calls me, except for 3 people:

-the seminary chaplain;
-my 'adopted' Greek mother;
-the head librarian here at HCHC.

It was either through the intercessions of my patron, or perhaps my startling lack of creativity for my screen name to be chosen...

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 11:41:06 AM »

Ebor is the abbreviation for "Eboracum" the latin name of the city of York in England which is the *other* place with an Archbishop (Canterbury being the primary one).  When an Anglican bishop signs an official letter he will use the abbreviation of his see along with his name.  For example the Archbishop of Canterbury (the "ABC"  Wink ) would sign something "+Rowan Cantuar"  Some places don't have latin names so, as another example, Desmond Tutu would sign as "+Desmond Capetown".

Now, I'm not The Most Reverend and Right Honourable Dr John Sentamu (the new ABY), nor any kind of cleric nor in England.  My 'net handle is a kind of clue that I'm not EO but Anglican.  Pretty obscure, isn't it.   Cheesy

And that's probably *way* more then anyone really wanted to know.  Wink

Ebor

+Photios Photioupolis
hehehehehe
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:42:17 AM by sdcheung » Logged

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 11:55:58 AM »

My middle name (given).  No, I was not Orthodox until my family converted when I was 12.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 12:18:41 PM »

Well, "pravoslav" means "orthodox" in Russian.  Bob is my given name, so I just strung the two together.  It seemed kind of amusing at the time.   Wink  Lately I have begun signing things on this board "James" or "James Bob" because James is my Orthodox name.  (I took James the brother of the Lord as my saint.)  

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 12:20:07 PM »

My middle name (given).  No, I was not Orthodox until my family converted when I was 12.

Yeah, but really, we all want to know how your orange cat Falafel got his name.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:28:46 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 12:24:51 PM »

Very controversial.  A dyed-in-the-wool Leafs fan like yourself taking Gretzky's number and not Dave Keon's or Darryl Sittler's?  Even with that dive that Gretz took in '93 to effectively end the Leaf's best playoff run since '67?  The horror.  The horror.  Shocked

BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 12:33:50 PM »

Having spent several years serving on my parish's Board of Trustees, my family took my comments about the thrill level in our monthly meetings to heart and now refer to them as "Bored Meetings."
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 12:55:22 PM »

"Tom" is the reverse of my christian name: Mot, and "S" is the upside down version of the beginning letter of my last name.
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 01:04:37 PM »

Mot(t) the barber?  Mot the Hoople?  Cool  That's out there.

Oh wait.....Mott's Clamato. Mmm.  Nothing like dead sea creature remains combined with tomato juice.  Okay, sorry, I'll stop.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 04:20:55 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 01:55:02 PM »

upside down?  the saddest part is that I really sat here thinking about that...

My name comes from:  

Serb = obvious, i'm serbian and darn proud of it.  

1389 = the year of the Battle of Kosovo, which is a national and church holiday celebrating the 70,000 (number varies) martyrs of the Kosovo Polje (Kosovo field) who died for their people and country against the turks in a 2-1 odds battle.  There is a lot more to that story, especially its connection to the church.  If you want more info, Personal Message me (PM).  

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 01:59:29 PM »

This is an interesting topic!!!!

I read the post so far and the only thing I would like to suggest is if each person along with giving the "reason" for picking the screen name also provide a little etymology and background about the name. It does not have to be extensive just a little background on the word (or words used) to form the name.

For example:

"Sarah" :
Other Scripts: שָׂרָה (Hebrew)

Pronounced: SER-a ÂÂ  [key]

Means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew. This was the name of the wife of Abraham in the Old Testament. She became the mother of Isaac at the age of 90. Her name was originally שָׂרָי (Sarai), but God changed it (see Genesis 17:15).

"Peter" :
Pronounced: PEE-tur ÂÂ  [key]

Derived from the Greek Πετρος (Petros) meaning "stone". This is a translation used in most versions of the Bible of the name Cephas (meaning "stone" in Aramaic) which was given to the apostle Simon by Jesus (compare Matthew 16:18 and John 1:42).

I could not help wondering about the meanings and root meanings ov names.

My name was selected because it is my Baptismal name and I use it all the time. In Ethiopia we use our Baptismal names first after Baptism. It effectively replaces the common birth name (in usage).This keeping with BIbilical tradition when the Lord changed the names of His elect which no longer had a realtionship with the world but with HIm first and primary; such as Abram to Abraham or Simon to Peter.
Ethiopians recall the situation where Christ in rebuking Peter referred to him as "Simon"!! instead of His God given name 'Peter' and thus find it more worthy to speak the name given by God which also reminds us not to sin or anger the Lord. It is felt that when called in the judgement Christ will speak only the Baptismal name when calling His elect. Those who He will call by their secular or birth name and NOT the Baptismal name are at risk of not being among the elect.

This is not to say that the Orthodox community in Ethiopia are fixed on names as a way to grace and salvation (not at all); it is symbolic of the gift and grace we hope for and prayer for and are thankful for as promised for the true believers through the sacrament of Baptism ( Like a wedding ring, we never remove it).

We believe as all Other ancient Orthodox Christians do on salvation.

We however maintain this tradition as a way of keeping ourselves aware that we are Baptised and now our lives are now Christ' first and all things in our lives are gaged in away to NOT conflict with that fact.

I just wanted to share that part of my story and why I use the screen name I have.

I will add:

AmdeTsion: is actually two names Amde and Tsion
Meaning: Amde = Pillar or support
 ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  Tsion = Zion in English

Origin: Geez or "Ethiopic

The name Pillar of Zion implies the following:
1. The Ark of the Covenant of Israel
2. The Holy Virgin Mary
3. The ark which carried Moses
4. Noahs Ark
5. Israel
6. The Priesthood
7. The Chalice
8. The established Church of Apostles, universal and Orthodox in the Lord.

All these conditions are a repository of the grace and Power of God and His plan of salvation for mankind. Much more can be added.

The name has been given to Christian Ethiopian Kings primarily due to the power behind the meaning. It is also given as name for Patriarchs. The rare chance of it being given to a person like me is a blessing within a blessing and does happen from time to time as the Priest is guided by the Holy Spirit.

Its a very difficult name to live up to if a person is serious about his Orthodoxy.

Anyway; I love words.

So much can be learned and understood from a name.

Again; thanks for starting this subject.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 02:27:25 PM »

Sloga means Unity in serbian and a few other slavic languages...unity is what we need, Serbs, orthodox and people in general.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 02:38:42 PM »

I play the bagpipes. When registering for a bagpipe-related forum, I took the name "erracht" which refers to Alan Cameron of Erracht, the first Commanding Officer of the 79th Regiment of Foot (the Cameron Highlanders).

NULL
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 02:43:05 PM »

Yeah, but really, we all want to know how your orange cat Falafel got his name.  Grin

Easy.  He has an older brother from the prior litter named Waffles who is the priest's family's cat (younger of two).  Falafel rhymes and was one of the names the family threw around and I liked it.
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 03:16:34 PM »

Very controversial.  A dyed-in-the-wool Leafs fan like yourself taking Gretzky's number and not Dave Keon's or Darryl Sittler's?  Even with that dive that Gretz took in '93 to effectively end the Leaf's best playoff run since '67?  The horror.  The horror.  Shocked
Oh, thems fighting words!!!

Yes, Gretz broke our backs in 93, but it's better to go down to the greatest of all time, than some louse like Alfredson.  Wink

BTW, I bet your breathed a big sigh of relief when my beloved Leafs narrowly missed the playoffs, because we ALL know what happens when the heartless Sens, play the Leafs in the playoffs.  Grin Grin Grin

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »

Well, "pravoslav" means "orthodox" in Russian.
Not just in Ruskie, JB.  Wink

And now for some trivia...

How many NHL Teams have hoisted Lord Stanley's Cup, without a Canadian, or American team Captain?

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 03:41:44 PM »

Originally, I posted on the internet with the name Canisius, but when I converted, I figured it wouldn't be a good idea to continue to use the name of a Catholic Jesuit.  So, I couldn't think of a name and took my nickname (Dan, I prefer to be called Daniel, I just can't get them Yanks to figure this out.)  And Texas is my home, and I live currently in NY.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 04:02:36 PM »

As a Penguins fan, I feel that I must post here the obligatory Pittsburgher comment that Lemieux is the greatest hockey player of all time, and that it was just those pesky things out of his control--like playing for crappy teams, or serious medical issues--which prevented him from stomping all over the Gretzky's records. Grin

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2006, 04:17:29 PM »

I just used my Chrismation name as my screen name.

On the Life of St. Peter the Aleut Martyr
http://oca.org/FS.NA-Saint.asp?SID=4&Saint=Peter
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 04:33:48 PM »

As a Penguins fan, I feel that I must post here the obligatory Pittsburgher comment that Lemieux is the greatest hockey player of all time, and that it was just those pesky things out of his control--like playing for crappy teams, or serious medical issues--which prevented him from stomping all over the Gretzky's records. Grin
Hey, can't deny Lemieux's greatness and who knows what "could've been", but it wasn't.  I give him number two.  (Remember, Don Cherry says Bobby Orr is better than both of them).  Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006, 07:06:55 PM »

"Zebu" means "water buffalo" in Dutch, and its origins in relation to me are quite confusing. Bascially it started out WAYYY back in junior high when my friend Kelly and I were really bored and we started talking about what would happen if her and this Dutch guy we knew got married.  Somehow we both thought they would live on an onion farm in a biosphere, and would have waterbuffalo, and so their biosphere would be called Zebu.  Then somehow I started calling my friend Zebu, and then that stuck.  Then I used the name for this site because it was unique and I couldn't think of anything cool and theological to use...

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2006, 07:14:32 PM »

My username is my first and middle name...I took Mary the Mother of God as my patron saint when I was chrismated, and I was chrismated "Donna Mary" (since Donna is an Italian derivative of La Madonna - the Virgin Mary), but my non-church friends and family mostly know me as Donna Rose. Smiley It's also my username in a few other places.

D

hmmmm...
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2006, 09:01:25 PM »

Timos- my given name w/o the "os". Thats just a nickname some of my family members give me.

Timothy/Timotheos means "Honour of God"

In modern greek, pricy, or something of value, expense is "timi" and so my name can also mean precious...which I now no longer like after havign watched a play on "the Hobbit" - "my preciousssss"

Ppl always call me Tim Hortons which is a very popular Canadian coffee shop chain named after some popular Canadian hockey guy. I also get Timtim and as a small child "Tiny Tim" which we all know is from the Scrooge movie.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2006, 09:26:09 PM »

I chose my screen name because when I first came here the board seemed to have an anti-greek slavic-convert bias, though it doesn't seem to so much any more.

So, like most things, I chose my screen name for shock value. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2006, 09:29:20 PM »

CarpathoRussian is my ethnic background.  My ancestors come from the Carpathian Mountain region of what is now Slovakia.  My picture is of my grandparents' church in Jurkova Vola.  The following link is a view of the church's interior.  The church is dedicated to the Birth of the Mother of God.
http://www.grkatpo.sk/fotoalbumy/grafika/246_7.jpg
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 09:30:10 PM by Carpatho Russian » Logged

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2006, 09:36:04 PM »

This type of church is very familiar to me. Very Uniate-like, common throughout the former Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Ours however (built by 1820) doesn't have pews, but stalls and chairs.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 09:43:40 PM by augustin717 » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2006, 06:22:49 AM »

When I joined the forum I simply assumed the name "George" (my chistian name) was already taken, so rather than go through the trauma of a screen popping up at registration saying "sorry, that username is already taken", I added "oz" to it, Australian slang for "Australian"....then I found out that "george" had in fact, not been taken and became depressed about this for some time, never going out, refusing visitors and subsisting on a steady diet of only coffee and cigarettes. I'm over it now.....I think.......<sniff>.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 06:23:43 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2006, 06:56:25 AM »

Mine's the name I use in most places on the net. That's because my Christian name (James) is so common that it's almost always already been taken, whereas this just looks like a meaningless jumble of letters. I've thought about using James the Persian (because that's my patron saint) but by the time I thought of it I was already registered as jmbejdl.

In actual fact, there is method in the madness. It's James Meyer-Bejdl, which are my actual Christian and surnames. For those who wonder, Meyer is German and rhymes with higher (It's NOT mayer as most English seem to pronounce it) and Bejdl is Czech (that side of the family is Moravian) and rhymes, more or less, with ladle. That's probably not much of a surprise for the others with Slavic backgrounds here. I always sign my posts James, though, as everyone knows how to pronounce that, even if they struggle with the consonant heavy Czech.

James
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 06:58:03 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2006, 08:47:55 AM »

Edit to add where I got my screen name: I have answered this before so i forgot I didn't here! Cheesy

When I started playing Sims1 I joined the Roman Sim forum, I have a huge obsessive interest in ancient Greece and Rome. ÂÂ Plus I needed something for a prefix to my files, I created quite a lot of Roman/Greek themed objects and clothing for the game.  I had read The First Man In Rome (Colleeen McCullough), and Caesar's mother was Aurelia, and I really liked her. ÂÂ So when I went to pick a screen name for that, I picked Aurelia Romae (bad latin, I know) and that is the name I have used in the sim forums ever since, and quite a few other places too.

99 is for the greatest Hockey player of all time (Wayne Gretzky).

I dunno, my hub fnally met his idol Gordy Howe at the local KFC (yes it's true) and I'm sure he would argue a bit about it. ÂÂ  Wink ÂÂ He was tongue tied. ÂÂ The only two people in there, and all he can come up with is "You're Gordy Howe!"

And what about Yzerman?  I wonder if he is going to retire this year? We are highly disappointed in the Wings' playoff performance. *cry*

BUT on the other hand he used to tell me that if we had a boy and he got his hands on the birth certificate he would name the poor kid Mario TheGreatOne Mayo.  Luckily they are smart at the hospital and I always got the certificates first.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 08:59:53 AM by aurelia » Logged
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2006, 08:57:34 AM »

never going out, refusing visitors and subsisting on a steady diet of only coffee and cigarettes

Are you sure you're not just in law school?  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 08:57:55 AM by Veniamin » Logged

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2006, 10:57:11 PM »

I've used Bizzlebin for years in different places, it's just a unique name of my own creation.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Mo the Ethio
Proud Capitalist
Elder

Faith: Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2006, 11:35:24 PM »

Moses The Ethiopian ( baptismal name)

aurelia, when did you get promoted to section mod?

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2006, 11:40:49 PM »

aurelia, when did you get promoted to section mod?

March 9:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=8385.msg110511#msg110511

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2006, 11:45:53 PM »

When I joined the forum I simply assumed the name "George" (my chistian name) was already taken, so rather than go through the trauma of a screen popping up at registration saying "sorry, that username is already taken", I added "oz" to it, Australian slang for "Australian"....then I found out that "george" had in fact, not been taken and became depressed about this for some time, never going out, refusing visitors and subsisting on a steady diet of only coffee and cigarettes. I'm over it now.....I think.......<sniff>.

One is relieved that you are on the mend from the trauma, OzGeorge.
 Wink

From what you wrote about your Pascha cookout, it looks like you're up to taking a bit of protein after all that caffeine and nicotine.   Smiley

(what drink was it you mentioned some months ago? Mango  margueritas?  At least you were getting some vitamins with those)

Ebor

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 08:01:06 AM »

One is relieved that you are on the mend from the trauma, OzGeorge.
Someone has registered as "Georgos" today.......
I'm typing in the foetal position (very difficult)

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 10:00:47 AM »

I chose my screen name because when I first came here the board seemed to have an anti-greek slavic-convert bias, though it doesn't seem to so much any more.

So, like most things, I chose my screen name for shock value. Wink

Oh, please elaborate on this one.  Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: