OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 10:11:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CS Lewis  (Read 1021 times) Average Rating: 0
eternity

« on: May 04, 2006, 03:44:29 AM »

Just wondering what you all think of CS Lewis.
ionus

Faith: Romanian Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 05:02:20 AM »

CS Lewis is a blessing.  Without him, I would not have the philosophical discourse I need to guide me sometimes.  Although, I'm sure he would refer me to the Spiritual Fathers of the Church, there is just something special about the way he describes certain things.  I think he is GREAT!!  Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 07:57:39 AM »

I appreciate his attempts at taking a more sound approach when viewing human nature (ie. looking for the real causes of the actions of people, rather than just attributing them to wickedness, demons, etc.) I have often found his psychologically analysis insightful. For someone in the Orthodox/Catholic tradition, he is probably much easier to read than most Protestants, both because of the depth of his insight (which is hard to deny), and because he just sounds traditional sometimes (e.g., coming close to endorsing theosis). On the other hand, I disagree with many of his arguments, especially the ones he uses to defend Christianity. I suppose in that way I probably see him much differently than most, since a lot probably remember him as a defender and explainer of Christianity (which I consider to be his weakest point), while I remember him as an explainer of people in general (regardless of religion).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 07:58:48 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 08:54:29 AM »

On the other hand, I disagree with many of his arguments, especially the ones he uses to defend Christianity.

Asteriktos

Could you describe some examples of this? It's the first time I've heard this criticism of Lewis, and I am interested in which arguments you find are his weakest.

Granted, I haven't (yet) read the whole C.S. Lewis canon, so I may not have come across all of them yet...but I'm still curious as to your take on them, if you find him at his weakest when he defends Christianity.

I love him, what I've read of him. At the end of the day, I think my favorite thing about him is how great a storyteller he is. This comes out in both the Narnia books as well as the theology books I've read thus far. Smiley

D

hmmmm...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 10:19:27 AM »

I remember as an Orthodox being sort of unsure of how to take his beliefs on joy... not that joy is a bad thing, but it just seemed like he (and other Brits like Chesterton) were overly optimistic about it's importance. I might have a different view now, I'm not sure. As to the specific Christian apologetics though, I was mainly thinking of some of his arguments in Mere Christianity; I'll read the first part of it again when I get home from work, and post some thoughts. I can post them elsewhere if people would like this thread to be about the positive views of Lewis, just let me know.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 12:06:30 PM »

Just wondering what you all think of CS Lewis.

If you like CS Lewis, you should really try to read some GK Chesterton (sp?).

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 12:48:25 PM »

I'm not a huge fan.  i've only read a couple of his books, but from those i've gathered that he's way too analytical.  Go figure!  I think he leaves a lot to be asked for in terms of equating it with actual human emotion and experience.  

In the same breath, he really is great at expounding ideas in a clear manner, which is always nice.  But I just think he goes too far.  (please keep in mind i've only read a couple books...)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: