OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 09:54:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Where you born Orthodox, or did you Convert to Orthodoxy?
Born into Orthodoxy
Converted to Orthodoxy

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick Poll - just want to see  (Read 3182 times) Average Rating: 0
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« on: April 30, 2006, 07:44:56 PM »

sorry if this has already been done, but Im just interested, as I see many people seem to have converted to Orthodoxy.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 08:09:29 PM »

Convert- Catechuman specifically

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 08:56:10 PM »

Convert.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 09:26:50 PM »

Although one parent is Orthodox (not praticising) I grew up in the Protestant Church, so only converted to Orthodoxy 4 years ago :-)

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 09:43:58 PM »

Converted. Although it still has not fully taken  Cheesy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 10:01:03 PM »

I am a further bit along than Tom in the process. I converted, then deconverted.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Tsarina

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

St. Anastasia Royal-Martyr

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 11:21:35 PM »

Convert,  Tongue

"Orthodoxy is life; one cannot talk about it, one must live it."

St. Nectary of Optina
OrthodoxAndrew
Unworthy of being called Orthodox

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. Andrew the Apostle

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 02:40:53 AM »

Convert! Grin

"Do what you want in order to send me as soon as possible from this transient life to eternal life. I am Christ's slave, I follow Christ, for Christ I die that I may live with Him!" - St. John of Decapolis before his martyrdom at the hands of the Turkish Muslims.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 03:26:46 AM »

Cradle Orthodox.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 04:43:39 AM »

Convert
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 06:55:34 AM »

Although one parent is Orthodox (not praticising) I grew up in the Protestant Church, so only converted to Orthodoxy 4 years ago :-)

This is the second time you've said "the Protestant Church". <I>Which Protestant church?
QuoVadis

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 08:56:12 PM »

I use the name "Protestant church" as an umbrella name for all the different branches of everything else but the Orthodox and also Catholic church.  I grew up attending the "Uniting church", and then when I became more involved in Christianity I joined the "Baptist church" which is what I attended before coming to Orthodoxy.

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 08:57:58 PM »

I am a further bit along than Tom in the process. I converted, then deconverted.

You know, you're not fooling anybody Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 09:48:34 PM »

Er, sorry, I'm suppose to be bitter and rude towards Christians now, right? ÂÂ I'll try harder. Ecumenist jerk. Cool  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 09:48:58 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 10:00:32 PM »

Er, sorry, I'm suppose to be bitter and rude towards Christians now, right?  I'll try harder. Ecumenist jerk. Cool  Tongue

Nice try...but no...to an agnostic 'Ecumenist' isn't an insult. Only to a traditionalist. How about calling me 'narrow-minded' or a 'bible-thumper' or 'reactionary' or saying that I'm 'blinded by religion' or 'decieved by a primitive mythology'...now THOSE are the kinds of insults and/or comments I would expect from a good agnostic Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 10:01:22 PM »

Er, sorry, I'm suppose to be bitter and rude towards Christians now, right?  I'll try harder. Ecumenist jerk. Cool  Tongue

No, no, ÂÂ you don't have to put yourself out to such an extent. ÂÂ  Grin Cheesy Wink

Ebor <trying for the light and humourous>

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 10:08:45 PM »

Nice try...but no...to an agnostic 'Ecumenist' isn't an insult.

Sure it is. It might not be an insult if said by little Jane Hatesallthingschristian, who would repeat the stupidest lies imaginable if she thought it would hurt Christianity. But as someone who wishes to view Christianity in an intellectually honest way, I can use the word ecumenist as a pejorative just as much as I could use it as a pejorative when speaking of certain Sufi Muslims; ie. if I consider a religion to be exclusivistic, and someone considers themselves part of that religion, then it would indeed be an insult (on my part, if not on the other party) to call someone an ecumenist. Thus, it is an insult, not because I consider ecumenism itself to be wrong (what do I care?), but because by throwing the term out I am essentially claiming that the person in question is contradicting their own belief system, or at least inconsistent. I suppose less subtle attacks like "Jesus lied!" might be more in keeping with internet (and many real world published) agnostics and skeptics... but, no thanks. I like being confusing. Smiley

coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 10:26:47 PM »

I think I fall in line with Asteriktos.  I converted, and now am on my way out the back door from Orthodoxy.  I still respect the Fathers, and still read their books (extremly fond of the writings of Isaac of Syria, as you can see).  Umm...I'd probably say I'm at the "back door" looking out, but haven't yet left; in other words, I'm in a state of "spiritual limbo" if such a thing exhists.  It seems the very zeal I had for the faith has turned me away from it (funny how things work like that sometimes).  Well, I hope all is well with everyone  Smiley

shawn
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 02:41:51 PM »

I chose converted, but that doesn't say much. Being Serbian, my ancestors in recent history would largely have been Orthodox. In fact, I had a great-great-grandfather who was a priest. But I was not raised in the faith, and was an atheist until I was 12 (I was baptized 2 months before I was 10, but as an atheist). So I consider myself a convert.

NULL
Marion

Faith: Roman Catholic Searching

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 11:36:46 AM »

I am a Roman Catholic just beginning to seriously investigate Orthodoxy which I feel is really drawing me closer to our Father of Mercy. On another note, I find the name calling and snide remarks among some members childish boring and distracting. In the name of our dear Jesus, for the salvation of souls, I humbly request those who feel so inclined to act this way do so by private message only. I can't see how it is very Christian of whatever type. It is not unique to this board so don't feel I am criticizing Orthodoxy by saying so.
                 your little brother in Christ,
                 Marion

In the garden
He made it all so simple
He who lives by the sword
Shall die by the sword
And He healed the servants ear
(Apologies to Author)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 05:30:18 PM »

Convert, controvert, introvert, and hopefully not a pervert.  Grin
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 07:33:09 PM »

On another note, I find the name calling and snide remarks among some members childish boring and distracting.

No offense brother, but we are not here to convince people to convert, therefor if you dont like how some (it is a minority) people act, no one is forcing you to keep coming back or holding you against your will.

BTW, arent the words boring and childish near antonyms?

May Christ be with us all,

Srdjan

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: