OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:20:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transliterations  (Read 1366 times) Average Rating: 0
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« on: April 29, 2006, 05:52:10 AM »

Are there any good transliterated Liturgies out there?

I do not speak Greek. But I do attend a Greek Orthodox Church and I wish to follow along throughout the Divine Liturgy. When the Cantor or the Choir begin to chant, I lose it half the time while trying to follow along in the Greek. Are there any good resources to follow along, possibly transliterated? My Greek is horrible and I find it difficult to read, especially when the chant is done fast.

I know what is said during the chant, but I seriously need some help with this.

Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 08:33:46 AM »

I have seen one, but I can't remember the publisher. I have a feeling, though, that the publisher is Holy Cross Orthodox Press. I have a copy of the Small Paraklesis published by them, and it contains the Greek, it's transliteration into English and the English.
Contact their bookstore and see if they can help:

Holy Cross Bookstore
50 Goddard Avenue,
Brookline, MA 02445

Monday - Friday
9am - 5pm Eastern time

Toll Free Number: 1.800.245.0599
Fax 617.850.1430

hcbks@hchc.edu

http://store.holycrossbookstore.com/index.html
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 08:38:19 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »

The book: "The Divine Liturgy - Epistles and Gospels" has the Liturgy in Greek, English and transliterated Greek. I think you can get it from Light and Life Publishing Company. If they don't have it, contact me via PM, and I'll arrange to get you a copy.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Red Deacon

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 07:28:28 PM »

There are a lot of translations out there, it really depends on what sort of English you want. Both Antioch and the Russians have put out translations in the old English 1662 prayerbook style whereas the Greek Archdiocese in Great Britain has a liturgy book available either in just English or bilingual, in modern English. It should be available through any bookshop from Oxford University press ISBN 0-19-110012-9.
There is also a lot of available online you could try www.anastasis.org.uk which has quite a lot translated.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 01:58:27 AM »

There are a lot of translations...

Thank you for your fine info but we are talking about Transliterations not Translations. For those who might not be familiar with Transliteration it is taking words from foreign alphabets and putting them in ones native alphabet.

Joseph
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 03:38:03 AM »

If you are planning at being at a Greek parish for the long haul, the best option is to simply learn the Greek Alphabet.  The good news is that it is entirely phonetic, so it is much simpler than learning to read English.  Also if invest a little time now to learn the alphabet, as you follow the services you'll make more and more natural connections and slowly start to learn bits and pieces of the language.  If your needs are short term, just ignore this!  
Panagiotis
Libertarian/Orthodox/Lush
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Phanar

Advocating Liberty Since 1973

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 08:27:52 PM »

I am in for the long haul.

I just wanted to know where to find one or make one, which someone here offered already to transliterate for me from the original Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom from the Greek.

Thank you for all of your input and I have checked out the different publishing houses mentioned and some not mentioned. Again, thank you all!

Blessings,
Panagiotis

"The first condition for the establishment of perpetual peace is the general adoption of the principles of laissez-faire capitalism"
-Ludwig Von Mises
Red Deacon

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 12:45:18 AM »

Thank you for your fine info but we are talking about Transliterations not Translations. For those who might not be familiar with Transliteration it is taking words from foreign alphabets and putting them in ones native alphabet.

Sorry about that, the problems of being dyslexic.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 09:04:01 AM »

Our liturgy book is in Greek, Transliterated Greek and English, with nice pics with notes to explain what is going on, in general, at the important bits.  it's red...and I know they sell it at Light and Life.  I'll take a look on Sunday to find out the exact edition. It was, pardon the expression, a godsend to me when i first started, and it has helped me pick up some liturgical greek, too!

Its probably the same one that brigidsboy mentioned. Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: