OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 04:43:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable DVD player  (Read 1357 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: April 27, 2006, 11:50:21 AM »

So I'm looking for a portable DVD player.  Prices range from 100 to 300+ dollars (US).  Interestingly, those on the expensive side are big names, like Sony, Panasonic, etc.  While those on the cheap side are names like Zenith, Polaroid, etc.

I beg you.  Before I regret buying one and it becomes crap, I seek the wisdom of those here to help me on some pointers in buying one.  I'm fairly knowledgeable in computer/media language, so don't worry about defining things unless I ask.  Why the difference in price?  What should I look for in buying one?  I'm not interested in anything bigger than 7 inches by the way.  (I think that's a little more than 15 cm. for the non-Americans).

Any tech forum that already addressed this online, I would appreciate if you send me to it as well.

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »

Check out the forums on http://www.dvdtalk.com

Probably the best source on the net for DVD related stuff. They can surely help you.

R
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 11:38:36 PM »

When I was travelling in the USA, I bought this small portable DVD player and it works fine, and got it for a good price too.  It was very handy when travelling:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JI3CC/ref=pd_cp_title/103-8932467-0011835?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=172282

I also have a bigger portable DVD player which I bought a few years ago, off e-bay and it works fine.  So seriously ... I have no problem going for the cheaper versions.  If they don't work well, send them back and the company will either give you a new one or give your money back :-)

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 10:13:10 AM »

When I was travelling in the USA, I bought this small portable DVD player and it works fine, and got it for a good price too.  It was very handy when travelling:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JI3CC/ref=pd_cp_title/103-8932467-0011835?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=172282

I also have a bigger portable DVD player which I bought a few years ago, off e-bay and it works fine.  So seriously ... I have no problem going for the cheaper versions.  If they don't work well, send them back and the company will either give you a new one or give your money back :-)

True...although warranty stuffs give me a headache.  I just want something that's reliably working.

I bought a Philips one yesterday for $140.  I figured if the Philips boombox has such a good reputation (like the one we have which is still in good shape), then a Philips portable won't hurt.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7686042&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat13900050018&id=1134703776691

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 10:17:46 AM »

btw, if anyone is interested, I started a discussion here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=463585

God bless and Thank you Robert.

Mina
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 10:18:09 AM by minasoliman » Logged

bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 01:03:32 PM »

Those portable DVD players were very popular with the soldiers overseas in Iraq and were sold at the PX's.  The one thing that I liked was that they came with cables that enabled them to be played also on a larger TV set screen.  And I saw some that also played CD's.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: