OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 08:26:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: girlfriend  (Read 1286 times) Average Rating: 0
authio
Elder

« on: April 27, 2006, 03:31:52 AM »

I should probably ask prayers from my community, but sometimes anonyminity (sp? ~actually, I don't care.  Don't correct me) is better.

Please pray for my girlfriend.  I don't know if we're supposed to be together.  I don't know God's will.

Pray that His will be done.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 05:06:12 AM »

Lord have mercy.

(I should mention here that the "icon" that is your user image was painted by Robert Lentz, a very controversial figure that many here consider spiritually dangerous. Do a search on his name here for past discussions.)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 07:17:52 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:28:26 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 02:20:05 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 03:17:59 PM »

Been there. Lord, have mercy.

About that image: based on things I've read and its appearance it seems obviously based on the icon of Mary foretelling the Passion, well known and loved in the West as Our Lady of Perpetual Help, a Hodigitria (directress) iconic pose of Our Lady. The story of the original is Our Lord as a young child had a vision in which angels showed him the instruments of his suffering and death as an adult and, frightened as a human being, he jumped into his Mother's arms, his sandal dangling from one foot and his hands grasping Mary's thumb. (He was really scared!) The angels are where the helicopters in the modern image are.

There are a few problems:

• While an admirable man, theologically conservative and dedicated to justice, Archbishop Oscar Romero isn't a canonised saint in either his church (Roman Catholic) or the Orthodox so he shouldn't have a halo (which is how the Orthodox paint icons of the uncanonised for private veneration).
• Privately you can venerate anyone. This wouldn't belong in either church.
• Getting back to this image's obvious model, it looks well-meant but I imagine comes off to somebody who knows iconography as a kind of parody of that model. One thing that strikes me is, if I recall correctly, Romero holding the child like Mary holds Jesus says, in the visual code of icons, that the main subject is the physical parent of the child! Probably not what was intended.

One can just about forgive that from somebody who really doesn't know Orthodox culture, like a well-meaning Western liberal who likes Archbishop Romero, but Lentz does know how to paint real icons. The Orthodox taught him to.

Lord, have mercy.

BTW the name of the company that sells these was changed from Bridge-Building Icons to Bridge-Building Images after enough Orthodox complained.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: