OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 23, 2014, 01:23:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gerondissa Gabrielia (Papayannis)  (Read 772 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: September 29, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »

Have any y'all read or heard of her?  I have her book Ascetic of Love.  The stories told about her are really touching and amazing.  Personally, I view her as a Saint.  What say y'all?

Orthodoxwiki article:
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Gabrielia_(Papayannis)

About the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Mother-Gavrilia-The-Ascetic-Love/dp/9607298853

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:16:09 AM »

Brothers, Sisters-

Do yourselves a favor and read up on her life; I've been reading her hagiography "Ascetic of Love" again and am in awe of her life.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 04:22:57 PM »

No one's heard of her?  Interesting.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »

No one's heard of her?  Interesting.
I have.  Read the book a few years ago.  A beautiful, wonderful, saintly woman!  Many similarities to Mother Teresa.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »

For those of us who can't fork out that kind of cash, some of her sayings can be found here.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »

For those of us who can't fork out that kind of cash, some of her sayings can be found here.

Or on youtube (in Greek).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:25:52 PM by Romaios » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »

For those of us who can't fork out that kind of cash,...

Holy Moly!  I didn't see the price they're asking; That's insane!  I bought mine for around 10 - 12 bucks in '05.

Thanks for that link, btw!  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:53:09 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »

Does anyone have any idea whether or not the book will be republished?  I'd love to buy a copy and read it, esp. because of her work in India, but if I had $400+ to spend, it wouldn't be on books, unfortunately. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »

I actually came across a folder full of her personal correspondence with an English friend while going through an archive not that long ago. IIRC the letters were written during her time in India.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »

It's a wonderful book. She had a fascinating life.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »

Holy Moly!  I didn't see the price they're asking; That's insane!  I bought mine for around 10 - 12 bucks in '05.

You can check the price tag on Amazon.co.uk as well, but go gently. Fair warning.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »

Here are some of her comments on the subject of Ecumenism:

http://www.oodegr.com/english/oikoumenismos/Gavriilia1.htm
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 09:21:55 AM »

Holy Moly!  I didn't see the price they're asking; That's insane!  I bought mine for around 10 - 12 bucks in '05.

You can check the price tag on Amazon.co.uk as well, but go gently. Fair warning.

What's the deal with such an extravagant price tag?  Are these signed editions with gold and silver pages? 

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »

Holy Moly!  I didn't see the price they're asking; That's insane!  I bought mine for around 10 - 12 bucks in '05.

What's the deal with such an extravagant price tag?  Are these signed editions with gold and silver pages? 

People who think that, because they have an item that nobody else is offering, they are entitled to a fortune for it, most likely.

The sayings from the link I posted further up, as well as more (108 in total) are found in Greek here.

The book itself is available by the publisher To Perivoli tis Panaghias for 15 euros (Greek) or 20 (English).

http://www.toperivoli.gr/pages/en.htm

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »

Thank you, jah777.  I'm considering printing out as many of her comments and sayings that I can find and placing them in her book.

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »

Unfortunately, the page doesn't include comments by Mother Gabriele on "ecumenism," as advertised. Really, it's an opinion piece by the editor.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »

Unfortunately, the page doesn't include comments by Mother Gabriele on "ecumenism," as advertised. Really, it's an opinion piece by the editor.

It seems to be a logical inference, though.

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »

You must not have read over the page very carefully.  Following the introductory text, the rest appears to be excerpted from the book referenced in the OP and contains comments from the book's author as well as many quotes directly from her.  Her quotes, it is true, are not solely about ecumenism but also about other religions in general and her encounter with Hinduism in particular.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:28:50 AM by jah777 » Logged
Mor Ephrem
NO TENURE FOR DEPONIO!!
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 10:54:15 AM »

People who think that, because they have an item that nobody else is offering, they are entitled to a fortune for it, most likely.

A few years ago, when the HTM publication of The Ascetical Homilies of St Isaac the Syrian was still out of print, copies were available on Amazon starting at $1,000.  But I managed to find a copy in good condition while rummaging through the bookstore of a Russian convent, and paid only $45.  Smiley

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »

You must not have read over the page very carefully.  Following the introductory text, the rest appears to be excerpted from the book referenced in the OP and contains comments from the book's author as well as many quotes directly from her.  Her quotes, it is true, are not solely about ecumenism but also about other religions in general and her encounter with Hinduism in particular.

I am sorry but I did not see that. I agree with Pensateomnia. I just wish the author had made a clearer delineation between her words and his interpretation.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »

Does anyone have any idea whether or not the book will be republished?  I'd love to buy a copy and read it, esp. because of her work in India, but if I had $400+ to spend, it wouldn't be on books, unfortunately. 

I got my copy from St. Gregory of Palamas Greek Orthodox Monastery for about $26 or so.  Just checked their website and it shows that they're out of stock of it.   Sad Sad  Maybe you could contact them and see if they are going to be getting any more in. http://sgpm.goarch.org/Monastery/?cat=18&paged=2

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: