Author Topic: C.S.Lewis and Orthodoxy.  (Read 549 times)

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
  • C.S.Lewis
  • Faith: Christian.
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Church of Canada.
C.S.Lewis and Orthodoxy.
« on: July 15, 2015, 03:30:59 AM »
C.S.Lewis is a great thinker in my opinion, and his book Mere Christianity opened the door for me to leave Atheism and come back to Christianity. I will never deny that or minimizing it,whether I'm Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox, or even JW. His book made me see the stupidity of Atheism. In the days of my Atheism, I had the false belief that you can't be a logical person, a great thinker, and remain Christian. Finding Lewis, proved me wrong.

I understand that Lewis probably had some beliefs that are contrary to the Orthodox Church dogmas. But I hope that doesn't dismiss him as a person of no value.

From Eastern Orthodox perspective, how do you view C.S.Lewis's work ?
I will continue to label myself Christian, and Anglican, in respect for my baptism. Even though I still struggle with doubts. I don't believe it is fair to dismiss it that easily because of some doubt.

Online seekeroftruth777

• Elder
  • O Most Holy Theotokos, save us
  • Faith: EO or Coptic? leaning EO
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR, Greek OR Coptic?
Re: C.S.Lewis and Orthodoxy.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 03:52:01 AM »
I see a lot people say CS Lewis brought them to Orthodoxy abd there is this affinity between Anglicians & Orthodoxy. this is a good subject because when I think of Lewis, Belloc, Chesterton, Dyoevotsky(?), Florsky, Flannery O Connor, etc. from Orthodoxy, Catholicism or Anglicians because there seem like there a lack of intellectuls in American Christianity these days outside of certain Orthodox, Anglicians and Catholics. Again Intellectualism itself shouldn't be the be all end all in the faith since God and certain  aspects of Christianity can't be rationalized it does make me cringe turning on TV and seeing what passes for Christianity in America I mean Lou Engle is scary! Sorry for getting off point but yeah there seems to be affinity for CS Lewis in Orthodoxy and his work seem to bring people to Orthodoxy.

Offline William T

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 04:05:02 AM »
From my personal experience, as someone who was born and raised "Eastern" Orthodox, and was essentially raised in the West (I guess there are a lot of Western converts on this site?) he was read more than all the Holy Fathers on the lay level by most people and is a great Western resource.  I read a lot of his works and am grateful for them.

Aesthetically, his talent as a writer is "upper middle class", so that's another plus.  As for his dogma, there is virtually nothing for us lay people to get to bent out of shape over.  He is a great a English language resource.  I've maybe read more by Lewis than by Chrysostom, and most parish lay people I know of certainly have.

As far as fiction goes, hideous strength > Narnia.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:10:22 AM by William T »
"While other animals look downwards at the ground, he gave human beings an upturned aspect, commanding them to look towards the skies, and, upright, raise their face to the stars. So the earth, that had been, a moment ago, uncarved and imageless, changed and assumed the unknown shapes of human beings."

Ovid, Metamorphosis Book I

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 06:24:45 AM »
A very good writer and a good thinker. I think many of his works are quite compatible with Orthodoxy. But like all Christian writers - including the Saints - it's important to realize that they're not infallible.

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 08:12:29 AM »
Seems like a guy I'd love to sit down with for a few hours every week and talk theology. I don't think I'd learn much of anything, but I'd enjoy the conversations nonetheless.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »
I love C.S. Lewis. He had a knack for boiling complex ideas into very simple statements. I think he was a brilliant man, although his writing tends to be focused more towards people new to Christianity or very young in their faith.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:58:48 AM by TheTrisagion »
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline truthseeker32

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA-Denver
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 12:32:06 PM »
I liked him, and I would be lying if I said he didn't have some influence on my conversion, but G.K. Chesterton played a much larger role.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 12:38:37 PM »
I see a lot people say CS Lewis brought them to Orthodoxy abd there is this affinity between Anglicians & Orthodoxy. this is a good subject because when I think of Lewis, Belloc, Chesterton, Dyoevotsky(?), Florsky, Flannery O Connor, etc. from Orthodoxy, Catholicism or Anglicians because there seem like there a lack of intellectuls in American Christianity these days outside of certain Orthodox, Anglicians and Catholics.

None of the folks you listed are exactly contemporary.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »
C.S.Lewis is a great thinker in my opinion, and his book Mere Christianity opened the door for me to leave Atheism and come back to Christianity. I will never deny that or minimizing it,whether I'm Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox, or even JW. His book made me see the stupidity of Atheism. In the days of my Atheism, I had the false belief that you can't be a logical person, a great thinker, and remain Christian. Finding Lewis, proved me wrong.

I understand that Lewis probably had some beliefs that are contrary to the Orthodox Church dogmas. But I hope that doesn't dismiss him as a person of no value.

From Eastern Orthodox perspective, how do you view C.S.Lewis's work ?

I enjoy reading his books over and over again, especially on a rainy day.
They are timeless.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
  • C.S.Lewis
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »
Glad to know that C.S.Lewis is known among Orthodox Christians.

Can you please tel me in what way he helped people to convert to Orthodoxy ? So next time I read the book again, I can focus more on how it is related to the Orthodox faith.
I will continue to label myself Christian, and Anglican, in respect for my baptism. Even though I still struggle with doubts. I don't believe it is fair to dismiss it that easily because of some doubt.

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Archon
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »
I have to confess that while I have much admiration for CS Lewis, especially his theological science fiction (The Space Trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength, I found his most popular theological work, Mere Christianity, to be much less spiritually edifying and nurturing than those works by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, who was a student at Oxford in the 1950s who occasionally passed CS Lewis in the hallways.  This being Oxford in the 1950s they never conversed; Metropolitan Ware has expressed appreciation for the writings of CS Lewis on Christianity but has no idea how he felt about the Orthodox Church.   CS Lewis and his brother rose early to drive to a small parish church for a said Communion service every Sunday, and would leave immediately after partaking, not remaining for the Gloria or the Benedictio; based on this, it is unknown what he would think of the Orthodox Church where all services are sung.

Regarding Mere Christianity specifically, my main problem is the "Mere" bit; its just a tad too generic for me.  However I dound its discussion of the flaws of dualism the most concise and compelling argument against that error I have seen.  However much of the writings of Lewis do express a more doctrinaire Anglo Catholicism, or at the very least, High Church Anglicanism, and here we see Lewis at his theological best, and indeed it is largely on the basis of writers like CS Lewis and Percy Dearmer that I feel compelled to regard that portion of Anglo Catholicism that was not Anglo Papalist in the mode of Dom Gregory Dox to have been fully Orthodox, and I strongly suspect Continuing Anglican provinces of an Anglo Catholic disposition like the Anglican Province of Christ the King of Orthodoxy.  As for CS Lewis, I hope that hhe might at some point be found to be glorified, and perhaps become a modern day St. Isaac the Syrian, in that while not a member of the Eastern or Oriental Orthodox communion, his weitings have been greatly edifying for the faithful (I myself actually prefer Patriatic writings, like Against Heresies, On the Incarnation, the Philokalia, and so on, and for his part, so did CS Lewis, who regarding theological books stated those older works that passed the test of time ought to be favored over newer works).
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 02:11:20 PM »
I have to confess that while I have much admiration for CS Lewis, especially his theological science fiction (The Space Trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength, I found his most popular theological work, Mere Christianity, to be much less spiritually edifying and nurturing than those works by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, who was a student at Oxford in the 1950s who occasionally passed CS Lewis in the hallways.  This being Oxford in the 1950s they never conversed; Metropolitan Ware has expressed appreciation for the writings of CS Lewis on Christianity but has no idea how he felt about the Orthodox Church.   CS Lewis and his brother rose early to drive to a small parish church for a said Communion service every Sunday, and would leave immediately after partaking, not remaining for the Gloria or the Benedictio; based on this, it is unknown what he would think of the Orthodox Church where all services are sung.

Ok, stop right there.  You're comparing apples and oranges and sound ridiculous.  Well DUH that Met. Kallistos's works would be more spiritually edifying!  They are not comparable.  One is a starting point for Christianity by a fiction writer of another tradition and the other are writings specific to the Orthodox Church by a noted cleric with advanced theological training.  There's no "but" here.  The first is what it is, nothing more, and not intended to be either.

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »
Metropolitan Ware has expressed appreciation for the writings of CS Lewis on Christianity but has no idea how he felt about the Orthodox Church. ..., it is unknown what he would think of the Orthodox Church where all services are sung.

You may find this of interest (I'd imagine the original article by Met. Kallistos is available online)...

http://simplyorthodox.tumblr.com/post/13591976386
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:30:26 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline wgw

• Archon
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »
I guess what Im saying is that I dont understand why some communicant converts to Orthodoxy, not just catechumens, seem to still prefer reading Lewis to the Fathers, when CS Lewis himself preferred the Fathers (he wrote a splendid introduction to On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius the Great).

At the same time, recognizing the excellence of his works in leading people to Orthodoxy, I see in CS Lewis evidence of de facto if not de jure Orthodoxy in the high church Anglican tradition which he, Rev. Percy Dearmer and others are associated with, and hope that he might someday be recognized as a saint in the manner of St. Isaac the Syrian.

By the way, one elephant in the room I auspect Raylight might intend to bring up is the alleged homosexual content in The Dark Tower, an unpublished story from what became the Space Trilogy that seems to have had homosexual themes (I would say in fact if it does its strongly anti homosexual).  i believe this was an early attempt on the part of Lewis to write what would become That Hideous Strength, but that he decided to focus on scientism and totlitarinism rather than homosexuality as the main evils in the revised story, although in both stories the more poisonous aspects of British academia in his time shine through; although Lewis denied it, both stories read like a critique of the sinister aspects of Oxford during that epoch (which my father also encountered, having done graduate work at Oxford in the 1950s before ultimately getting his PhD at Princeton).
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline wgw

• Archon
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 02:39:23 PM »
Metropolitan Ware has expressed appreciation for the writings of CS Lewis on Christianity but has no idea how he felt about the Orthodox Church. ..., it is unknown what he would think of the Orthodox Church where all services are sung.

You may find this of interest (I'd imagine the original article by Met. Kallistos is available online)...

http://simplyorthodox.tumblr.com/post/13591976386

Thrilling! The statement by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware was in fact at a talk he gave if memory serves at Seattle Pacific University which is available on YouTube.  I think Metropolitan Ware would be delighted to know that Ware loved the Orthodox church!

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
  • C.S.Lewis
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 02:43:49 PM »

By the way, one elephant in the room I auspect Raylight might intend to bring up is the alleged homosexual content in The Dark Tower, an unpublished story from what became the Space Trilogy that seems to have had homosexual themes (I would say in fact if it does its strongly anti homosexual).  i believe this was an early attempt on the part of Lewis to write what would become That Hideous Strength, but that he decided to focus on scientism and totlitarinism rather than homosexuality as the main evils in the revised story, although in both stories the more poisonous aspects of British academia in his time shine through; although Lewis denied it, both stories read like a critique of the sinister aspects of Oxford during that epoch (which my father also encountered, having done graduate work at Oxford in the 1950s before ultimately getting his PhD at Princeton).

Why exactly do you think I will bring up anything about homosexuality here ? Anyway, I didn't read all of C.S.Lewis's books. The only fictional book that I read was the Screwtape Letters. I'm not a fan of fiction books at all, except that one, because it is related to everyday struggled a Christian may face, especially a convert.

PS: I hope the thread doesn't turn into discussion about homosexuality.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:44:38 PM by Raylight »

Online seekeroftruth777

• Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »
Anyone likes Chesterton just as much CS Lewis? I use to be a big fan Of Chesterton when I was inquiring about Catholicism.

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Φέρ' ὕδωρ φέρ' οἶνον, ὦ παῖ!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
I'm not a fan of fiction books at all

That's bad. People who only read non-fiction are sour and serious. You need to feed your imagination.
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

νίκας τοῖς Βασιλεῦσι κατὰ βαρβάρων δωρούμενος

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 02:46:32 PM »

That's bad. People who only read non-fiction are sour and serious. You need to feed your imagination.
I can't even remember the last time I read a fiction book.

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
  • C.S.Lewis
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 02:49:39 PM »

I wish. But I always think I'm too realistic that I can't handle fiction. I love reading about politics, religion, history, law, and biographies about political and theological figures. Many times I'm sour and serious. However, oc.net taught me to have some sense of humor.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »

I wish. But I always think I'm too realistic that I can't handle fiction. I love reading about politics, religion, history, law, and biographies about political and theological figures. Many times I'm sour and serious. However, oc.net taught me to have some sense of humor.
Lord, have mercy!

:P

Online seekeroftruth777

• Elder
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 02:52:51 PM »

I'm slowly learning that some people are sarcastic and like to rib a lot, It made me realize how uptight and serious I can be but I'm slowly learning not to take everything serious  :D

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 03:12:59 PM »
I guess what Im saying is that I dont understand why some communicant converts to Orthodoxy, not just catechumens, seem to still prefer reading Lewis to the Fathers, when CS Lewis himself preferred the Fathers (he wrote a splendid introduction to On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius the Great).

At the same time, recognizing the excellence of his works in leading people to Orthodoxy, I see in CS Lewis evidence of de facto if not de jure Orthodoxy in the high church Anglican tradition which he, Rev. Percy Dearmer and others are associated with, and hope that he might someday be recognized as a saint in the manner of St. Isaac the Syrian.

Seriously?  I have NEVER gotten that impression.  It's always been a more like, read his non-fiction too!  It's a good supplement to your Orthodox book list (w/o claiming it's Orthodox per se)!

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 03:25:31 PM »

Seriously?  I have NEVER gotten that impression.  It's always been a more like, read his non-fiction too!  It's a good supplement to your Orthodox book list (w/o claiming it's Orthodox per se)!

Have to agree with Elisha: I would rather read a classical Orthodox author.  Maybe it is a cultural thing: I am a cradle Orthodox & prefer Orthodox writers.

Offline wgw

• Archon
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 05:58:43 PM »

Have to agree with Elisha: I would rather read a classical Orthodox author.  Maybe it is a cultural thing: I am a cradle Orthodox & prefer Orthodox writers.

This is in fact what I was trying to say.  I prefer The Sayings of the Desert Fathers or the Panarion or for that matter The Orthodox Way to most works by non Orthodox, the exception being works of liturgical scholarship like The Oxford Handbook of Christian Worship, The Shape of the Liturgy, and so on, which include Orthodox themes.  But CS Lewis is one of the few de jure non Orthodox writers I spend money on.  Nothing written by, for example, NT Wright, really interests me that much.

I do enjoy reading works on other religions and works by neo Gnostics like Elaine Pagels, as a point of contrast with our faith.  But I use the library for this; I dont want to spend money on heresy.   :)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Hoplitarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 06:21:20 PM »

I'll be honest, I'm only reading fiction because I agreed with my sister that we have a book exchange club.  So I give her something theological and she gives me fiction.  And we discuss what we read.  Otherwise, I would never read fiction
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 06:27:06 PM »
Well, it looks like Cyrillic's point has been proven!  ;D

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
 :-[

:P
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 06:33:02 PM »
I can't imagine my childhood without 'The Lord of the Rings' or 'The Black Cauldron' or things like that. But that's just me.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 07:12:41 PM »

I'll be honest, I'm only reading fiction because I agreed with my sister that we have a book exchange club.  So I give her something theological and she gives me fiction.  And we discuss what we read.  Otherwise, I would never read fiction

What kind of fiction is she making you read? 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline minasoliman

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 07:35:09 PM »

We are beginning with Harry Potter. :P

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 08:05:41 PM »

Maybe you're not quite understanding.  My point is that I don't get the impression people seriously project onto C.S.  Lewis that's Orthodox or any of his Christian/non-fiction writings are seriously Orthodox.  They're just good Christian works to read as far as they apply in allegory, agree with Orthodoxy, etc. 

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 08:43:32 PM »

No wonder you don't like fiction. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 10:10:49 PM »

No wonder you don't like fiction.

We agree!
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 10:33:20 PM »

This is in fact what I was trying to say.  I prefer The Sayings of the Desert Fathers or the Panarion or for that matter The Orthodox Way to most works by non Orthodox, the exception being works of liturgical scholarship like The Oxford Handbook of Christian Worship, The Shape of the Liturgy, and so on, which include Orthodox themes.  But CS Lewis is one of the few de jure non Orthodox writers I spend money on.  Nothing written by, for example, NT Wright, really interests me that much.

I do enjoy reading works on other religions and works by neo Gnostics like Elaine Pagels, as a point of contrast with our faith.  But I use the library for this; I dont want to spend money on heresy.   :)
I think part of the problem is that CS Lewis wrote in English, so very much of his personality, humor, and wit shine through. For both English speaking cradles (I know many [ethnically] Greek Orthodox who enjoy his books]) and converts Lewis is more accessible - as is (for me) Chesterton - simply because we can drink right from the source. Patristics only come to us (at least) once removed (if not more - many patristic writings that have been translated into English were translated from a Latin translation of a Greek text) - it is the rare translator that can give not just a competent translation of the text itself but of the personality behind the text. Indeed, one hopes the translator actually has a sense of humor himself, otherwise he might miss that a joke has been made at all, let alone attempt to render a specific turn of phrase or use of wit into our language.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Online Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 10:34:01 PM »

It's funny you mention N.T. Wright. His writings brought me to Christ. I never got into C.S. Lewis for some reason.
This user doesn't post here enough.

Offline wgw

• Archon
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 10:58:56 PM »

It's funny you mention N.T. Wright. His writings brought me to Christ. I never got into C.S. Lewis for some reason.

Just to be clear I hear nothing but good things about the man from conservative Anglicans who I like, the sort who are very interested in Orthodoxy.  However what he writes on just isnt personally interesting to me.  Among modern authors, I am interested in three groups: liturgical scholars, preferrably moderate ones who love liturgical diversity as opposed to one particular rite, and who arent obsessed with Novus Ordo style "renewal" (such as the RC author Gregory diPippo, who on his website The New Lituegical Movement shows a great love for all the traditional rites, all surviving examples of which which the Roman church happens to now celebrate with varying degrees of success or failure, except, notably, Sarum, thanks to a combination of Eastern Catholicism and the Anglican Ordinariate), and thats the kind of liturgical scholarship I like to read; ,any of my liturgical books focus on a particular rite, but it exacerbates me when the author goes into polemics against other lituegies in such works); well educated heresy enthusiasts like Bishop Stephen Hoeller, whose writings on Gnosticism and lectures are fascinating and help one to approach modern liberal theology from an ancient and more palettable perspective as opposed to reading say, Marcus Borg head-on, and lastly really interesting commentators on Orthodoxy and comparative religion, like Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, Fr. Seraphim Rose and Fr. Andrew Stephen Dammick.  Not everything Metropolitan Kallistos writes is of course comparative, but he does quite frequently use an apophatic approach in describing our view of God and I find this to be the most stimulating.  But these are strictly my personal preferences; they are not right or wrong, and if NT Wright led you to Christ and ultimately to Orthodoxy he has rendered a great work.

I lament the demise of Borders Bookstores and the pauxity of the slection in Barnes and Noble, as it is no longer possible to really go to the bookstore, get an armful of diverse moderate-to-advanced treatments of specific subjects, sit down, read through them, and work out areas of interest to explore.  But one can still do this albeit with more dust and coffee stains at the library, and if one likes older books, online, and Athus I encourage everyone who wants to develop their intellectual knowledge of religion to go to the bookstore and search for their own "personal CS Lewis."

Offline minasoliman

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 11:20:04 PM »
I lament the demise of Borders Bookstores and the pauxity of the slection in Barnes and Noble

The word on the street.  Barnes is OK.  But that Noble is a vindictive...

Online Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 11:27:34 PM »
I lament the demise of Borders Bookstores and the pauxity of the slection in Barnes and Noble

The word on the street.  Barnes is OK.  But that Noble is a vindictive...

The only thing remotely Orthodox (or even Christian) in the Christianity section of my local Barnes and Noble are the works of St. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas.
This user doesn't post here enough.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 11:50:17 AM »
What are these bookstore things you speak of?

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 12:10:31 PM »
I've heard that back in olden days they had these tablets that didn't run on electricity, didn't have apps, and couldn't connect to the net. They were like 3 times or more thicker than modern tablets, and get this--they only held one book! Imagine people spending money on and carrying around such a clunky, near-useless thing! Anyway, there were whole stores that carried these things, cause like I said they weren't connected to the internet, so you'd have to go and buy them wherever they were being stored. It was a crazy scene, man.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:11:48 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline Severian

• Drifter
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 06:45:57 PM »

Nah brah, LotR is where it's at. It's far better written, the lore is much more developed and overall the story-telling is superior.
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" -Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring