Author Topic: Decisions, Decisions ohh boy! well Decision is made folks  (Read 341 times)

Offline seekeroftruth777

• High Elder
  • O Most Holy Theotokos save us!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH but my heart belongs to the JP
Decisions, Decisions ohh boy! well Decision is made folks
« on: August 18, 2015, 02:44:06 PM »
      Well anyone that knows my situation knows that I have been attending a Greek Orthodox Church, A ROCOR Parish and a Coptic Orthodox Church. I met many wonderful people who love the lord and their traditions in all 3 places. After much Prayer and thinking about it I decided I will be attending the Greek Orthodox Church for quiet a few reasons. last week I emailed the Russian Priest if it's ok to attend The Greek Orthodox Church and he gave me the nod and while the tone felt he would miss me he understood my situation. While I love the Church Slavonic, the Traditionalism concerning pews and head coverings, and the reverence for the Eucharist in the ROCOR parish plus the Priest being a stand up guy I don't understand Slavonic at all and I feel like a fool prostrating, doing the sign of the cross, and bowing all at the wrong times. While the Priest is a good guy at the ROCOR parish the Laity except for a few kind hearted folks seem stand offish to say the least if your not Russian. Now the Coptic Church is beautiful and Most people I met there are lovely folks, Arabs in general seem like such good hosts :). However my problem is in little small ways through there Bible study classes, there Bible conferences with Protestants, there Evangelical like marketing I get the feeling this Coptic Church is heading down that path of embracing elements of the Evangelicalism that many of our Coptic brothers and sisters fear. Plus people showing up 15 minutes before Liturgy ends at the Coptic Church(mostly younger kids) talking on their cellphones and chatting away while lining up to receive the Eucharist rubs me the wrong way like they don't revere Holy Communion why don't the priest who at least seem like a good guy say anything?

Okay now the Reasons I decided to keep attending the Greek Church is a few. One is that the priest who is actually Romanian is actually a very humble priest who drives over a hour and a half to serve the community down here and even slept in the church at times overnight sacrificing his family and all that to serve GOD and his Church that touched me a lot. Plus he is always is willing to loan someone money like when I told him about my boss being sick and I was low on pay he loaned me a small amount of money so I can keep going to church. This priest also gives me bread to take home to my family he seem really down to earth like he hasn't let the ego of being a authority figure get to his head also I must he gets it that it is more important to be Orthodox then a ethnic nationality he even reminded the laity this past Sunday that is just as important to be Orthodox Christians and not just Greek and to remember that with the Greek festival coming up soon so that we all act like Christians to our neighbors, strangers and friends at the festival. Another reason I decided to keep attending the Greek Church is everyone in the laity there is so down to earth from the oldest lady who only knows Greek to the youngest who pretty much Americanized they all have the faith in common and want to share it with people who are inquirers. I was attending the Greek Church a lot during the whole lead up to Dormition and it like GOD through what the priest calls the church summer Pascha was showing me his church I learned a lot just by attending as many services as possible. Also another reason is the reverence for Holy Communion and the Eucharist. Lastly two other reasons are travel convenience and it close to my grandma house and since my Grandmother will be out of a job by next year since the VFW she bar tends at is closing after Church I will be able to visit her more which I should she not getting younger.

Anyways Thanks everyone for your prayers and thanks for moral support. I'm glad  I found a Church for now Thanks everyone who prayed and offered support. I would prefer the Church I visited a couple weeks back that is  hour and a half away from home which is under the Jerusalem Patriarchate since it just felt holy, was very traditional and was very welcoming but again Arabs are great hosts :) but it is what it is for right now until I get a working vehicle. I'm not converting too quick I want to study more and work my way into the Church more then when the moment right attend Catachumen  classes plus I don't want to rush too fast, become a hyperdox jerk who eventually burns out and alienate my hosts. To the Coptic Brothers and Sisters here I will continue to pray for you guys and I still believe we are closer than say any of us are with Catholics or Protestants If there was other Coptic Churches no longer than a hour away I would give it a try I respect you all. Thanks everyone again for your support.
pray for the persecuted Christians in Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Syria, Occupied Palestine, Nigeria, Pakistan, Eriteria & Kosovo.

Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have Mercy on me a Sinner!

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Archon
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: My spleen is on lease to Sinai.
Re: Decisions, Decisions ohh boy! well Decision is made folks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 07:55:11 AM »
Sounds prudent to me.  Comgratulations!   :)
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline qawe

• Elder
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »
However my problem is in little small ways through there Bible study classes, there Bible conferences with Protestants, there Evangelical like marketing I get the feeling this Coptic Church is heading down that path of embracing elements of the Evangelicalism that many of our Coptic brothers and sisters fear. Plus people showing up 15 minutes before Liturgy ends at the Coptic Church(mostly younger kids) talking on their cellphones and chatting away while lining up to receive the Eucharist rubs me the wrong way like they don't revere Holy Communion why don't the priest who at least seem like a good guy say anything?

But that's how we make Jesus REAL, RELEVANT and REWARDING to ordinary Americans.  Your sort of convert is not welcome at our "ministry of love, integration and outreach... a place where no-one stands alone".

(Oh, and several of our ultra-rich Coptic guitarists have threatened to transfer to another parish if we don't out-Protestantise them).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:42:52 AM by qawe »
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:30:14 AM »
However my problem is in little small ways through there Bible study classes, there Bible conferences with Protestants, there Evangelical like marketing I get the feeling this Coptic Church is heading down that path of embracing elements of the Evangelicalism that many of our Coptic brothers and sisters fear. Plus people showing up 15 minutes before Liturgy ends at the Coptic Church(mostly younger kids) talking on their cellphones and chatting away while lining up to receive the Eucharist rubs me the wrong way like they don't revere Holy Communion why don't the priest who at least seem like a good guy say anything?

That stuff is intended to attract converts, not repel them.  It's how we make Jesus REAL, RELEVANT and REWARDING to ordinary Americans.  Your sort of convert is not welcome in our welcoming parish.

(Oh, and several of our ultra-rich Coptic guitarists have threatened to transfer to another parish if we don't out-Protestantise them).

It is fine to want to attract converts but if you just turn in to their old church are they truly converting?  A church should not fundamentally change just to make other people feel more comfortable... the RC did that and it has been nothing but bad.
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline byhisgrace

• High Elder
  • Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 08:31:45 AM »
Congrats, seekeroftruth!
Not posting. Will be back on October 1st.

Offline qawe

• Elder
    • Return to Orthodoxy
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 08:39:06 AM »

That stuff is intended to attract converts, not repel them.  It's how we make Jesus REAL, RELEVANT and REWARDING to ordinary Americans.  Your sort of convert is not welcome in our welcoming parish.

It is fine to want to attract converts but if you just turn in to their old church are they truly converting?  A church should not fundamentally change just to make other people feel more comfortable... the RC did that and it has been nothing but bad.

Tell that to the most popular Coptic priest outside Egypt.  And to one of the official channels of the Coptic Church that decided to broadcast this drivel, despite the fact that it is plagiarised word-for-word from an Evangelical Protestant megachurch's sermon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiEnarqVckI
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:42:16 AM by qawe »
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 09:04:47 AM »

Tell that to the most popular Coptic priest outside Egypt.  And to one of the official channels of the Coptic Church that decided to broadcast this drivel, despite the fact that it is plagiarised word-for-word from an Evangelical Protestant megachurch's sermon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiEnarqVckI

So I take it your original post was sarcastic.. I actually missed that and apologize.  For some reason I always have this idea of OOs all being staunchly traditional (as in anti-modern) clearly I have much to learn.
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »
Wonderful news, seeker! May God grant you many years and bless you in your catechumate!  :)
Praise to be kelly the all-benificent for granting me permission to change my sig line.

Obligatory: "It's a mystery! Ask your priest/spiritual father. Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future. Marital fasting."

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »

But that's how we make Jesus REAL, RELEVANT and REWARDING to ordinary Americans.  Your sort of convert is not welcome at our "ministry of love, integration and outreach... a place where no-one stands alone".

If I hear the word RELEVANT in one more religious dialogue, I'm afraid I am going to have to beat someone with a baseball bat in a very purpose-driven kind of way.
Praise to be kelly the all-benificent for granting me permission to change my sig line.

Obligatory: "It's a mystery! Ask your priest/spiritual father. Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future. Marital fasting."

Offline seekeroftruth777

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 09:34:49 AM »

If I hear the word RELEVANT in one more religious dialogue, I'm afraid I am going to have to beat someone with a baseball bat in a very purpose-driven kind of way.

You can start a new Charismatic movement with that bat that will catch on quick "The Swing and Hit" Gospel  ;D
pray for the persecuted Christians in Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Syria, Occupied Palestine, Nigeria, Pakistan, Eriteria & Kosovo.

Offline qawe

• Elder
    • Return to Orthodoxy
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »

http://franthony.com/about-me/
http://stsachurch.org/who-we-are/about-our-priest/

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 07:03:47 PM »
seeker, God be with you!  You made the right decision for the right reasons.

qawe, you are a prince among men, sir.  A prince.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

Offline wgw

• Archon
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 08:39:47 PM »
I find these self promotion websites by Coptic priests frightening.

The current abbot at St. Anthonys, or acting hegumen while Fr. Anastasi is on assignment somewhere, Fr. Moussa, refuses to even admit to being abbot!  He says he is there "to help the other monks."  He has a rather superb sense of humor, joking about how the webmaster is persecuting him by having the site say he is only in charge of baptisms.

It would be more appropriate for all Coptic parishes to follow standard practice and just post a list of clergy including any deacons and the leading readers and church trustees, as well as the bishop, with up to date phone numbers.  I really wish the Pope would do something to reign in these egomaniacs.

By the way, ia it just me or are most of these offenders in the extradiocesan areas?  I think more episcopal supervision would really help.  Recall the impact putting Anba Abanoub at Musqatam had. We need to drag a few more highly annoyed, very holy monks out of their cells and crown them with an emma, and hand them a crosier, amd then let them take out their annoyance at being dragged into the world from the angelic life on these worldy, decadent priests who have no humility.  The megachurch atmosphere these priests have created lends itself well to a bishop shouting in Arabic denouncing it, before it is promptly ripped up and replaced by a traditional Coptic layout.
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• High Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 08:47:51 PM »
I find these self promotion websites by Coptic priests frightening.

The current abbot at St. Anthonys, or acting hegumen while Fr. Anastasi is on assignment somewhere, Fr. Moussa, refuses to even admit to being abbot!  He says he is there "to help the other monks."  He has a rather superb sense of humor, joking about how the webmaster is persecuting him by having the site say he is only in charge of baptisms.

It would be more appropriate for all Coptic parishes to follow standard practice and just post a list of clergy including any deacons and the leading readers and church trustees, as well as the bishop, with up to date phone numbers.  I really wish the Pope would do something to reign in these egomaniacs.

By the way, ia it just me or are most of these offenders in the extradiocesan areas?  I think more episcopal supervision would really help.  Recall the impact putting Anba Abanoub at Musqatam had. We need to drag a few more highly annoyed, very holy monks out of their cells and crown them with an emma, and hand them a crosier, amd then let them take out their annoyance at being dragged into the world from the angelic life on these worldy, decadent priests who have no humility.  The megachurch atmosphere these priests have created lends itself well to a bishop shouting in Arabic denouncing it, before it is promptly ripped up and replaced by a traditional Coptic layout.

and you know these mega churches in the Coptic Church don't attract converts and push away traditional Copts it so sad and wrong. WGW your educated about the syriac Orthodox do they have any of these problems brother?

Offline qawe

• Elder
    • Return to Orthodoxy
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 09:11:43 PM »
It would be more appropriate for all Coptic parishes to follow standard practice and just post a list of clergy including any deacons and the leading readers and church trustees, as well as the bishop, with up to date phone numbers.

Nothing wrong with having a website with useful resources.  As long as what's on there is Orthodox in ethos.

Anba Raphael tried: http://returntoorthodoxy.com/pope-tawadros-takes-stand-for-orthodoxy/ and http://anbamichael.net/main/what-about-the-recent-letter-dated-may-1st-2014-from-his-hh-pope-tawadros-ii/

It didn't work: http://anbamichael.net/main/8-what-is-the-survey-outcome-to-the-popes-may-1st-letter/

In Mukattam they are all poor so it is easy to force an Orthodox bishop on them, but that is not the case for the rich Virginians who demand Protestant seminars on how to grow their immense wealth or else: http://stsachurch.org/fpu/

and you know these mega churches in the Coptic Church don't attract converts and push away traditional Copts it so sad and wrong.

It's for the YOOOUUUUUUUTHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!  The emphasis on evangelism and converts is just there to make the (parents of the) youth feel more "culturally integrated" and to give the youth something more exciting to do than tasbeha.

Note that anyone Orthodox is automatically disqualified from the category "youth", regardless of age.

Offline wgw

• Archon
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 09:31:52 PM »
It says something about the charity of the Coptic Church that it did not simply excommunicate the Virginians.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 09:32:43 PM »

In Mukattam they are all poor so it is easy to force an Orthodox bishop on them, but that is not the case for the rich Virginians who demand Protestant seminars on how to grow their immense wealth or else: http://stsachurch.org/fpu/

No. Just no. This should never happen. Ever.

WWSAD

What Would St. Athanasius Do?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:32:55 PM by TheTrisagion »

Offline qawe

• Elder
    • Return to Orthodoxy
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 11:34:29 PM »

No. Just no. This should never happen. Ever.

WWSAD

What Would St. Athanasius Do?

He is untouchable.  And he knows it.  That's why the link still hasn't been taken down, despite the fact that the event occurred over 2 months ago.  What breathtaking arrogance!  Bishop Suriel of Melbourne, the one bishop who ever had the guts to publicly criticise his methods (on Facebook and Twitter) eventually had to delete his comments for fear of backlash.  Meanwhile sermons plagiarised word-for-word from Evangelical megachurches and delivered in typical revivalistic style are still hosted on the youtube channel of one of the official satellite channels of the Coptic Church.

It says something about the charity of the Coptic Church that it did not simply excommunicate the Virginians.

I think it says more about the Coptic Church's need for the Virginians' charity. ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:54:01 PM by qawe »

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 12:07:31 AM »

I think it says more about the Coptic Church's need for the Virginians' charity. ;)

Maybe you guys should set up a fund in escrow, to be distributed to the Coptic Church only once those problems have all been dealt with. If you can raise more money than the Virginians can, you'll be home free.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:07:46 AM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.