Author Topic: Is it Possible Our Lord Had Aspergers Syndrome?  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
Re: Is it Possible Our Lord Had Aspergers Syndrome?
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »
Because I live with it and accept the fact that in many ways normal society is objective reality we have to adjust to.

It is not. To a person from a collectivistic society (especially if we could meet one from the ancient world), many things about the way we live life in the West are strange. They('d) find us selfish, overly emotional, navel-gazing, disrespectful to our elders, etc.

And they're right.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Bartholomew, 270th Archbishop of Constantinople-New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch, is spiritual leader to 300 million Orthodox Christians throughout the world.

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »
I think Asperger's might be culture-bound in the sense that a person who had the exact same traits and grew up in another culture might fit in perfectly, perhaps even better, than what Americans would call a neurotypical.

People like us stand out in America precisely because American culture values the very things that don't come naturally to us, while devaluing the things that do. American religion (Protestantism, especially of the revivalist/emotionalistic variety) also seems to be uniquely ill-suited to people on the spectrum.

This cartoon by Thomas Nast seems to exemplify the American worldview. Notice how the "nerd" is characterized negatively and the brawny boxer is held up as the ideal man.

But in another country, the shoe might end up on the other foot.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:47:32 PM by Minnesotan »
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • I'm an alpaca, actually
    • A conservative blog for peace
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2015, 08:23:20 PM »
AS is real but you're right, Minnesotan. Thank you.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • I'm an alpaca, actually
    • A conservative blog for peace
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2015, 08:31:33 PM »
American religion (Protestantism, especially of the revivalist/emotionalistic variety) also seems to be uniquely ill-suited to people on the spectrum.

Me five years ago on religion and being on the spectrum. I've rarely met other spergs I've known of; only one I suspect has it too is a traditional Catholic. Actually most such I've seen or met, whom I knew were on the spectrum (at a support-group meeting), were angry goth teenagers or others who had no use for religion, actually a lot like Northern mainstream America now.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog