OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 10:14:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Orthodox Christian College?  (Read 5525 times) Average Rating: 0
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2006, 10:40:12 AM »

The more slivo you have at my place, the harder math becomes!  Wink

I thought it became easier??  Just the grades became worse??  Wink Wink

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2006, 10:59:56 AM »

I thought it became easier??  Just the grades became worse??  Wink Wink
That explains how I became an attorney (and didn't get a real job)! Grin

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2006, 12:13:57 PM »

You're going to take chemistry but not math?!  Um... I don't know about the chemistry program at Evergreen, but at my university, about half or more of the chemistry class was math.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2006, 12:24:27 PM »

I have taken anthropology and geology, am currently in ecology and will probably take either astronomy or chemistry this summer. At Evergreen, I hope to continue taking science classes. But when it comes to math, I'm just not interested in what I cannot use.

Peace.

Astronomy requires math...even basic astronomy requires a good knowledge of Algebra/Trig.  Even the knowledge of Algebra/Trig among the majority of college students these days is rather poor.  A good knowledge of math up through pre-Calc should be required of all college students (by the end of college).  It will help you in your life no matter what your profession ends up being...a lot more than you may think.  The USA is greatly behind other industrialized nations in this aspect.
Zoe
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2006, 12:29:53 PM »

...which is why I'm an English major.

NI!!!!!!
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2006, 02:45:01 PM »

You're going to take chemistry but not math?!  Um... I don't know about the chemistry program at Evergreen, but at my university, about half or more of the chemistry class was math.

Yeah, same with me. I completed an engineering major with minors in chemistry and mathematics, and really didn't have to take too much additional coursework to get this done. It seemed like maybe only adding 18-21 credits of work (over 4 years, not that hard...)

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2006, 02:56:15 PM »

Astronomy requires math...even basic astronomy requires a good knowledge of Algebra/Trig. ÂÂ

Why isn't there a math prerequisite for the class at SFCC? (Maybe you shouldn't answer that.)

It will help you in your life no matter what your profession ends up being...a lot more than you may think.

I've heard that math helps a person become a better analytical thinker, which is something I could use for journalism, philosophy and theology.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2006, 03:14:32 PM »

Why isn't there a math prerequisite for the class at SFCC? (Maybe you shouldn't answer that.)

Last Astronomy class I took (which happened to be on the Theories of Relativity) required me to use all three semesters of calculus, diff eq, linear algebra, and even group theory from Abstract Algebra, and I have to say that I dont think I could have got my mind around the concepts without upper divison topology and theoretical geometry courses. Sounds like your 'Astronomy' class is nothing more than a joke.

Personally, matthew, I dont think you've ever taken any Mathematics and, accordingly, are in no posistion to judge the value of the field. I'm sorry but the typical three semesters of calculus, diff eq, and linear algebra dont pass for math, when you take a few topology, theoretical geometry, real analysis, number theory, or abstract algebra classes (or gain an equivalent knowlege) let me know, then we can talk...until then you just dont have the experience to present a well informed opinion on the matter.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2006, 03:43:28 PM »

Personally, matthew, I dont think you've ever taken any Mathematics and, accordingly, are in no posistion to judge the value of the field.

I placed into intermediate algebra and doubt that it's necessary for news reporters. I could, however, be mistaken.

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2006, 04:39:28 PM »

I placed into intermediate algebra and doubt that it's necessary for news reporters. I could, however, be mistaken.

Well, sounds like you have a couple years of work before you can get to real mathematics; however, with that said, I really dont know how someone could function in life in this day and age without at least a moderate understanding of algebra.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2006, 06:18:05 PM »

Well, sounds like you have a couple years of work before you can get to real mathematics; however, with that said, I really dont know how someone could function in life in this day and age without at least a moderate understanding of algebra.

Yeah,

x + y = beer
x^2 + y^2 = too much beer

Grin Grin Grin
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2006, 10:23:04 PM »

Yeah,

x + y = beer
x^2 + y^2 = too much beer

Grin Grin Grin

WRONG...'too much beer' does not exist Wink

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2006, 11:16:07 PM »

Matthew777,
I completely agree with others, who have said that we all need education, not just degrees. I cannot agree more. Nevertheless, degrees are needed as a certification of abilities. It is a sad truth that some people can be very smart, but without degrees they would not get better jobs due to the lack of paper.
Unless the college has 50 students only, you will find good friends anyway. I concur with that aspect as well.
And one more thing. Some qualitative programs may seem great, but the number of jobs on these occupations is minimal or pretty much absent. Please try to avoid this danger.
Feel free to PM me if you will have any questions. Best of luck and success with your school! May God help you!
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2006, 11:51:11 PM »

My mom manages to while doing all her own book keeping for her travel agency business and all her and dad's personal finances (and maybe his insurance and financial planning business)...I don't really understand either.  I guess it is just a matter of being REALLY good at balancing one's checkbook.  No rock unturned.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2006, 11:51:58 PM »

Last Astronomy class I took (which happened to be on the Theories of Relativity) required me to use all three semesters of calculus, diff eq, linear algebra, and even group theory from Abstract Algebra, and I have to say that I dont think I could have got my mind around the concepts without upper divison topology and theoretical geometry courses. Sounds like your 'Astronomy' class is nothing more than a joke.

Personally, matthew, I dont think you've ever taken any Mathematics and, accordingly, are in no posistion to judge the value of the field. I'm sorry but the typical three semesters of calculus, diff eq, and linear algebra dont pass for math, when you take a few topology, theoretical geometry, real analysis, number theory, or abstract algebra classes (or gain an equivalent knowlege) let me know, then we can talk...until then you just dont have the experience to present a well informed opinion on the matter.

I will actually agree for the most part, but not go quite that far.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2006, 12:09:21 AM »

Peace.
You BETTER believe it is important!  M777, something you need to understand (and everyone else for that matter) is that written (and visual) media sources (the Newspress being the biggest culprit) is absolutely riddled with poor reporting involving any type of quantifiable analysis.  It ranges from the sciences to history, business, economics, demographics...you name it!  Mistakes include:  false assumptions, faulty reasoning, incorrect understandings of basic economics, misleading numbers and conclusions, bad data and just poor analyses to name just a few!  I just read an article on supposed over/under priced realestate the other day.  The other was trying to show which Metro areas were the most under/overpriced based on some "equilibrium" value he calculated for each area.  The problem was, there was absolutely no reference to HOW this "equilibrium" value was calculated or his methodology (not even a vague idea), no reference to the source of ANY of his data and other questions could be made.  The media frequently seems to think that since they are the media, then what they say is gospel.

Because as GiC said, it is a poor quality class.  In my freshman year at UC Santa Barbara 12 years ago (or maybe it was Soph), I took an Astronomy class as a general science "GE" (General Ed).  I think the math pre-req was at least intermediate/advanced Algebra and Trigonometry.  Mathematically, the class was a joke compared to my Physics classes which required a semester of Calc for the first class and increased the amount of Calc for the other two classes in the sequence.

I've heard that math helps a person become a better analytical thinker, which is something I could use for journalism, philosophy and theology.
It is something that should even be required but isn't!  A classmate of mine in my statistics classes in college was doubling in Stats and Sociology.  The stats course she had to take through the Sociology Dept she said was a joke.  People were misusing stats and using faulty reasoning left and right.  
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2006, 05:19:24 PM »

You BETTER believe it is important!  M777, something you need to understand (and everyone else for that matter) is that written (and visual) media sources (the Newspress being the biggest culprit) is absolutely riddled with poor reporting involving any type of quantifiable analysis.

That's definitely worth considering. The problem is how terribly frustrating math is for me, enough to want to pull my hair out. I actually feel relieved in going to Evergreen.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2006, 06:09:31 PM »

That's definitely worth considering. The problem is how terribly frustrating math is for me, enough to want to pull my hair out. I actually feel relieved in going to Evergreen.

Then take comfort in the fact that you are not the only one...and that it is an educational challenge to overcome. ÂÂ Math used to be something that women were in a sense discriminated against. ÂÂ When they were young, mean spirited or bad teachers would just tell women that they weren't smart or would never learn just because they may not have understood a concept right away.  I didn't really understand this until a (female) classmate in college told me how that she wanted to get a math major (or minor) just because it was a challenge when she was younger, partially because of what I explained above.

As with almost any subject, a teacher can make or break the class for you...both in the textbook/subject matter and how the teacher presents the material.  You can have all 4 combinations of easy/hard teaching with learning/not learning material.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 06:13:39 PM by Elisha » Logged
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2006, 07:18:51 PM »

I don't think I've ever had a particularly good math teacher.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2006, 01:42:17 PM »

I detest math myself, as having had bad protestant math teachers my whole life. I attended private (prot) school and then went to the corresponding university (a misnomer there)  My scholarship got pulled when my father was laid off, and I have yet to go back.  Yet this same college is the only one that has any sort of decent degree by distance.  What real life person has the time to waste sitting in a classroom?  Even if I were single and without children I would not go back in the classical sense.  I think I would CLEP and opt/test out.  Too many young people today sit in classes for years on end and haven't got a lick of sense to show for any of it.  We have 5 colleges in this town, and the attendees are atrocious.
If an Orthodox college were nearby instead of Falwell's, I would jump on the bandwagon.  I can't see paying good money to fill in blanks with doctrine I no longer espouse.  Nor can I see going to a state U with hostile profs.  Orthodoxy needs to catch up to the prots as far as university offerings.
Jeni

OC.net

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2006, 03:17:17 PM »

Matthew, I had never heard of Evergreen, but I like th idea of choosing your  program and going from there.  I also had questions about Hellenic, and had never heard of it until they sent some literature to my son a few months ago.  He goes to University of St.Paul in Ottawa.  He is studying Eastern Christian Theology at Sheptytsky Institute as a freshman undergrad, and he loves it there. BTW, he doesn't thave to take a math, either.  But he may have to learn Ukrainian.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 03:17:45 PM by Jeni » Logged
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2006, 12:50:19 AM »

What real life person has the time to waste sitting in a classroom? ÂÂ
With all the respect, I very strongly disagree. One of the main reasons, why education is valid, is a possibility of a better job. Unless classes are useless, siting in the classroms does make sense. I am not saying it is necessarily easy. Furthermore, circumstances sometimes make study impossible.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 02:36:39 AM by Starlight » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2006, 01:21:04 PM »

With all the respect, I very strongly disagree. One of the main reasons, why education is valid, is a possibility of a better job. Unless classes are useless, siting in the classroms does make sense. I am not saying it is necessarily easy. Furthermore, circumstances sometimes make study impossible.

Well, there are some professional students (i.e., the man with three Bachelors degrees, two Masters degrees, and two Doctorates) who would probably do well to leave school and actually make a life for themselves in the workplace.  Of course, such people often become professors, so I can't knock the professional student too much.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2006, 07:51:12 AM »

Well, there are some professional students (i.e., the man with three Bachelors degrees, two Masters degrees, and two Doctorates) who would probably do well to leave school and actually make a life for themselves in the workplace.  Of course, such people often become professors, so I can't knock the professional student too much.

We have a professor at Hellenic who is purported to hold some sort of record for the number of degrees accumulated; she tells her classes that they should keep going for education, but that they should stop after 1 doctorate - and she admits that all the studying and extra school ruined here sociability.  There just has to be some point when people are forced to go out and apply their education somehow, instead of allowing them to continue to accumulate fancy papers and extra letters after their names.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2006, 12:10:20 AM »

she has 9 doctorates ....fyi

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2006, 12:32:28 AM »

Matthew, I had never heard of Evergreen, but I like th idea of choosing your  program and going from there.

If your son chooses Evergreen, I would have to recommend the substance-free dorm. It's a must.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: