OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:15:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm tired of being lukewarm...  (Read 1607 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: April 24, 2006, 03:52:16 AM »

Revelation 3
13 He who has ears, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
14 And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These things says the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot; it is better to be either cold or hot.
16 So then because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue you out of my mouth.
17 You say, I am rich and my wealth has increased and I need nothing; and you do not know that you are miserable and a wanderer and poor and blind and naked.
18 I advise you to buy of me gold refined in the fire, that you may become rich; and white raiment, that you may be clothed, so that the shame of your nakedness may not be seen; and anoint your eyes with salve, that you may see.
19 I rebuke and chastise all those whom I love; be zealous, therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with me on my throne, even as I also overcame and have sat down with my Father on his throne.
22 He who has ears, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

I hope that you are hotter than lukewarm, I hope that we all are. You are a warrior fighting for your soul, don't give up the battle.

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 07:50:35 AM »

Revelation 3
13 He who has ears, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
14 And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These things says the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot; it is better to be either cold or hot.
16 So then because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue you out of my mouth.
17 You say, I am rich and my wealth has increased and I need nothing; and you do not know that you are miserable and a wanderer and poor and blind and naked.
18 I advise you to buy of me gold refined in the fire, that you may become rich; and white raiment, that you may be clothed, so that the shame of your nakedness may not be seen; and anoint your eyes with salve, that you may see.
19 I rebuke and chastise all those whom I love; be zealous, therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with me on my throne, even as I also overcame and have sat down with my Father on his throne.
22 He who has ears, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

I hope that you are hotter than lukewarm, I hope that we all are. You are a warrior fighting for your soul, don't give up the battle.

Peace.
Some people don't appreciate having convictions. I think it's part of the post-modern world where we're meant to question everything, deconstruct it and find no real and absolute truths anywhere. And then a system that claims any truth is attractive - for some Islam is this (steadfastly clinging to its sense of mission), for others even scientific truths take on new weight - even though these may change over time.

But to have conviction in Christian beliefs, "For shame!", they cry! We're reminded about all the evils that  have been performed in the name of Christianity; slavery, misogyny, racism, going against progress, etc.

Someone who has convictions is deemed thick/pig-headed, a 'fundamentalist', etc. Someone to be despised.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 08:31:16 AM »

be zealous, therefore, and repent.
Interesting. I've just noticed something.
What Our Lord calls "being zealous" goes hand in hand with repentance. So often these days, what many people seem to call "being zealous" has little to do with repentance.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 06:40:26 AM »

Interesting. I've just noticed something.
What Our Lord calls "being zealous" goes hand in hand with repentance. So often these days, what many people seem to call "being zealous" has little to do with repentance.
One should do both. Personally though I don't agree with people putting in their signatures something along the lines of "Please forgive me", especially when they attack in their posts. It belittles their prayer; one can't seek forgiveness without repenting, so one doesn't attack someone whilst praying for forgiveness for attacking.

Matthew 6:5 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 06:41:35 AM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 07:02:57 AM »

Look! A sunset!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 07:56:14 AM »

Look! A sunset!
Great. Huh

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Tags: