OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 09:31:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books introducing the Orthodox Faith  (Read 1288 times) Average Rating: 0
Silas

Faith: Roman Catholic

« on: March 24, 2006, 12:13:18 AM »

Hello everyone! May the peace and blessings of Our Lord Jesus Christ be with you! This is seems to be a nice forum you have here. Wink

Well, I'm quite interested in acquiring some good authoritative books regarding the Orthodox Faith. I was wondering if any of you brothers or sisters could recommend me some. I read on another thread someone talking about The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Vladimir Lossky or The Orthodox Way (or Faith) by Bp. Kallistos Ware, I think. I've been investigating other books about Orthodoxy in other websites but I don't want to rush into things and I want to make a good decision about on which to buy, so I'll rely on your experience.

I'd appretiate any help! Thanks in advance for your time and patience.

Jesus saith to him, «I am the way, and the truth, and the life, no one doth come unto the Father, if not through me» (John 14:6)
KATHXOYMENOC

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 12:41:49 AM »

One of my favorites was THE MOUNTAIN OF SILENCE by K. Markides. It's the author's conversations with a monk on various Orthodox topics, so it has a "personal" feel to it that straight "doctrine" books don't.

My wife keeps reading COMMON GROUND by J. Bajis. Even though he's apparently not Orthodox (it seems like he used to be, but now he pastors a quasi-Orthodox church), Light and Life still publishes his book and considers it one of the best books on Orthodoxy for non-Orthodox to read.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 12:44:13 AM by KATHXOUMENOC » Logged

KYPIOCIHCOYCXPICTOC
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 01:42:46 AM »

For a whimsical, wonderful, humorous, and respectful introduction to Orthodoxy, read At The Corner of East and Now, by Frederica Mathewes-Green. It's the book that converted me!
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 02:30:12 AM »

I would highly recommend The Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 10:33:57 AM »

If you are looking for a quick reference to compare Orthodox Catholicity with other Christian faiths & the theological differences, I highly recommend Dance, O Issiah.  It can be obtained through Light-n-Life publishing and ordered right from the internet.  Price is reasonable- $11.75.  I use it all the time and its an easy read and quick reference -

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=DANC275

Dance, O Isaiah: Questions and Answers on Some of the Differences Between Eastern Orthodox and Other Faiths
by Constantine Platis

Format: Soft Bound

Description:
Each page is separated into two columns: one column states the Protestant or Roman Catholic question and the second column provides the Orthodox Christian answer. Example: Why do you honor saints' relics? is followed by the Orthodox answer. Hundreds of questions with insightful answers. 160 pages.
ÂÂ
==============

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 10:23:54 PM »

Another good book by Bishop Kallistos Ware is The Orthodox Way.
Tsarina

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

St. Anastasia Royal-Martyr

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 02:40:02 PM »

Another great one is called, "The Orthodox Church" By Timothy Ware [now known as, Bishop Kallistos Ware]. I can read that book over and over again. Awesome stuff!

"Orthodoxy is life; one cannot talk about it, one must live it."

St. Nectary of Optina
cradle east

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 03:20:16 PM »

Introducing the Orthodox Church: Its Faith and Life by Fr. Anthony Coniaris - I highly recommend it to anyone exploring the Orthodox Church.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: