OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 26, 2014, 01:09:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global warming is definitely happening: no more debate!  (Read 4688 times) Average Rating: 0
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2006, 02:46:03 PM »

I'm a data analyst and statistician

Ditto...sorta....
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2006, 04:01:56 PM »

An excellent article on Global Warming without the psuedo-science bluster.
"Ever since the debate broke out over climate change, the world’s attention has been riveted on computer-driven horror stories and the positively silly idea of establishing global-weather control by actively managing the atmosphere’s greenhouse-gas emissions. This focus has gathered up a lethal coalition of people with diverse motivations for promoting it. I call it a lethal coalition because, for nearly 20 years, this coalition has killed off any attempt to look at climate change through a rational lens, and to look at climate policy in a pragmatic way."
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »

It’s official: 2012 was the warmest year on record in the lower 48 states, as the country experienced blistering spring and summer heat, tinderbox fire weather conditions amid a widespread drought, and one of the worst storms to ever strike the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), 2012 had an average temperature of 55.3°F, which eclipsed 1998, the previous record holder, by 1°F. That was just off Climate Central’s calculation in mid-December, which projected an expected value of 55.34°F, based on historical data.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »

YAWN....

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »

It’s official: 2012 was the warmest year on record in the lower 48 states, as the country experienced blistering spring and summer heat, tinderbox fire weather conditions amid a widespread drought, and one of the worst storms to ever strike the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), 2012 had an average temperature of 55.3°F, which eclipsed 1998, the previous record holder, by 1°F. That was just off Climate Central’s calculation in mid-December, which projected an expected value of 55.34°F, based on historical data.
Unfortunately for us, this just means more rain.  Sad

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 05:33:50 PM »

I would not fret just yet.if one reads this piece carefully it states a record high since 1998;s record. This means that 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 were all LOWER than the previous high. I am not impressed; no need to hoard umbrellas.  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 05:39:29 PM »

I would not fret just yet.if one reads this piece carefully it states a record high since 1998;s record. This means that 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 were all LOWER than the previous high. I am not impressed; no need to hoard umbrellas.  Wink
Do you notice a slight upward trend?  Shocked

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 06:07:16 PM »

Believe me, when you live were I live, there's need.

It's the same in all of Scandinavia.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 10:20:34 PM »

When that graph goes further back, which it originally did as I recall and before NASA removed the earlier data to skew the results, I might admit a trend, probably solar caused...and hope for more. I like warm. Nothing we can really do about it except use it to feed hysteria and soften the chickens little up for more baloney taxes.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 11:00:42 PM »

BTW, on what basis do you make a GLOBAL claim based on a data set from the "Contiguous U.S.", anyway? Hysterics run amok, wild leaps of "logic"...

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2013, 04:30:46 AM »

BTW, on what basis do you make a GLOBAL claim based on a data set from the "Contiguous U.S.", anyway? Hysterics run amok, wild leaps of "logic"...

There might be just a few Australians who would say so .... with record temperatures over the past ten days, 2012 listed as the hottest on record in that country, fires raging in four states and one territory (and Australian states are much larger than American states) as we speak ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/topic/fires

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 06:11:45 AM »

2012 was as cold and rainy as always in the Netherlands, perhaps even more so than in previous years.

"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me"
-Benjamin Disraeli
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »

2012 was as cold and rainy as always in the Netherlands, perhaps even more so than in previous years.

It was the wettest year since records began in England and the second wettest for the UK as a whole - and it certainly wasn't warm,. I'd also note that our Met Office has now revised down their previous predictions for half a degree centigrade of warming by 2017. Apparently, if this new revision is correct, there will have been no appreciable warming for the last 20 years. I don't doubt that climate is changing, I do doubt that those most stridently blowing the 'global warming' trumpets actually know much more than that. It certainly seems that both their predictions of future trends and explanations of cause are far too fragile to warrant the confidence with which they prognosticate.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »

Do you notice a slight upward trend?
So? China had the coldest on record. Whats your point?

If it was so conclusive, why fake data?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 05:57:48 PM »

Show us the data for the years 800 through 1890 please so we can see how it did this before.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 06:22:02 PM »

I'm not all that worried about global warming. I don't disbelieve it's happening. I also don't disbelieve that, according to volcanologists, there are several immense volcanoes ready to blow, all of which have the potential to create global cooling. Maybe it'll all get balanced out.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2013, 06:35:35 PM »

I'm not all that worried about global warming. I don't disbelieve it's happening. I also don't disbelieve that, according to volcanologists, there are several immense volcanoes ready to blow, all of which have the potential to create global cooling. Maybe it'll all get balanced out.

Hurry, if you cannot explain how humans have caused the volcanoes to explode you will be sent to Siber...Alaska on charges of Thoughcrimes.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »

Hurry, if you cannot explain how humans have caused the volcanoes to explode you will be sent to Siber...Alaska on charges of Thoughcrimes.

Great! Snow and Orthodoxy!

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: