OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:30:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fishy business leads to blockade of Mt Athos  (Read 907 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: April 20, 2006, 12:00:42 PM »

Fishy business leads to blockade of Mt Athos

The collapse of talks between Mount Athos monks and Halkidiki fishermen yesterday resulted in the anglers’ decision to block access to the monastic community today in a move which could upset the plans of up to 10,000 Easter worshippers.

The two sides could not reach agreement over fishing rights in the waters of the peninsula on which the semi-autonomous monastic republic rests.

The anglers believe they should be free to fish in those waters. But the law bans any vessel, apart from boats carrying monks or visitors, from approaching within 500 meters of the coast around Mount Athos.

The monks agreed to issue licenses to a few hard-up fishermen but their union is not satisfied. It labeled the current law “unethical and illegal.” In protest, the fishermen will block access to the monasteries from the sea.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 01:56:48 PM »

Wow - pressing ahead with these tough negotiations, in between Gospel readings this week, eh?

It's nice to see the fishermen and followers of The Fisher of Men getting along so well....

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 02:18:18 PM »

It's nice to see the fishermen and followers of The Fisher of Men getting along so well....

Grin Clever boy!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:18:40 PM by TomS » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 04:54:50 PM »

eh, it was a momentary lapse from the lunacy on this end...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: