OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:12:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egg Dyeing Tip  (Read 2492 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: April 20, 2006, 05:54:04 AM »

Holy Thursday is also known as "Red Thursday" in the Greek Tradition, because it is the day we dye our Easter Eggs. As we in Australia are almost a day ahead of the US, I thought I'd share my latest discovery.
Today I boiled the eggs separate from the dye, and when they cooled, my Godchildren and I used white wax crayons to write and draw designs on the eggs, then we put them in a warm dye solution. The result was that the dye was repelled by the wax crayon design. When the eggs dried, polishing them with an oiled cloth removed the wax crayon, leaving a white design. So we have beautiful eggs which say "Christ is Risen!" (and in one unfortunate case, "Christ is Resin"- my second Goddaughter's masterpiece!)
It works on the same principle as Ukrainian Pysanky- but much easier!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 05:55:50 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Sarah

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:29:41 AM »

Using brown eggs may help to intensify the red dye.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 08:33:22 AM »

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:47:13 AM »

Yeah, this is really cool.

My kids and I like to write our 'secret messages' in white crayon on the white eggs. When they are dyed the message pops up---greetings from one child to another, misspellings, 'Helloes to Jesus', etc.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 12:02:10 AM »

That's how we dye eggs in our family:
First of all, we wash them in water mixed with some vinegar.
To dye them red we use onion skins, that we boil first, and then, in the red water that results, we boil the eggs. To obtain a lighter colour (orange) you can boil eggs in normal water and then, while they ar still very hot, put them, for a while, in the boiling red water, obtained from the onion skins. To have a whole range of leaf-models on them, you have to fix the leaves on the fresh egg by wrapping the egg very tightly in a piece of cloth obtained  from a pair of  silk or nylon -stockings.
To dye them green, we use green wheat.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 07:30:16 AM »

Ooh, I never thought of using brown eggs!  That makes sense, like painting a wall red, it works better if you don't have a pure white base! Thanks. Smiley

Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 11:59:30 AM »

Yes, it's traditional dye for Russians - onion shells. Eggs look beautiful  and the color is reddish-brown.

There is a trick after coloring. Take vegetable oil and pour a little bit on a cloth. Then wipe eggs with that oily cloth but don't leave eggs oily, they have to shine but not to be greasy.
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 04:34:34 AM »

I ended up giving my Pascha egg to a child, and I think I'll have to boil up a few just for fun. Now that I've eaten meat for a few days, eggs sound more appetizing than they did last week. Wink

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »

When I was a child, the Monastary always had vibrant red eggs for everyone. They used the Ritz dye somehow, but being a kid, I didn't listen to the details.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »

We tried the brown egg trick and it worked very well. But I used red food coloring instead of onion skins or Rit dye (too toxic).

The recipe I used was:

1 (1 oz.) bottle of red food coloring
1/2 cup of white vinegar (intensifies the color)
8 cups of boiling water (but I let the water cool down before placing the eggs in it so they wouldn't crack)
2 dozen eggs (boiled but at room temperature at the time of dyeing)

I also used the trick Galina mentions of oiling the egg. I waited until the eggs were completely dry then I used a soft oily cloth (canola oil) and gently rubbed each egg. I wiped each egg so it wouldn't be oily but it still had a sheen. The oil gives the egg a deeper more lustrous red color. See photo below.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:42:36 PM by Tamara » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »

I have a tip;

Don't leave the bowl of red dye in hand reach of your 11 month old son(put it three times what you think is his hand reach, I put it in double and he has rubber arms or something) or he will tip it over and be red colored for a couple days. And your carpet will take on a lovely Mary Kay pink tinge.  Tongue even after you shampoo it a couple times. laugh

All this occured 40 minutes before the Holy Thursday service. And no one was dressed. So while my husband shampooed the carpet I dressed everyone. We had a choice to freak out or ro laugh, we chose to laugh. Because in retrospect it is really funny.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:10:47 PM by Quinault » Logged
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 03:14:35 PM »

Yeah, now you mention it, ritz probably is dangerous.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »

There is also "greek dye" that works really well.

http://parthenonfoods.com/egg-dye-red-p-1735.html

My eldest daughter's godmother does the egg dying for the parish and she says this stuff works really well.
Tags: Food egg dye Pascha recipe 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: