OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:29:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Two Towers" soprano chosen after composer hears her sing Armenian hymns  (Read 1918 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« on: April 02, 2003, 11:08:13 PM »

I just came across this on TheOneRing.net about Isabel Bayrakdarian who sings "Evenstar" in "The Two Towers".

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1049333757

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 01:41:51 AM »

Very interesting article, Ebor, thanks for sharing.

It is too bad that Emiliana Torrini doesn't have any Orthodox roots.  I really enjoyed her rendition of Gollum's Song.  

I must admit though I was a bit dissapointed in general with the Two Towers score.  I didn't think the fiddle melody was fitting for Rohan, it should have had something more norse with horns.  But I digress....

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 02:15:45 PM »

Very interesting article, Ebor, thanks for sharing.

It is too bad that Emiliana Torrini doesn't have any Orthodox roots.  I really enjoyed her rendition of Gollum's Song.  

I must admit though I was a bit dissapointed in general with the Two Towers score.  I didn't think the fiddle melody was fitting for Rohan, it should have had something more norse with horns.  But I digress....

I'm glad you liked the article and that it was appropriate to post here.  Torrini and "Gollum's Song" were very good indeed.  

Well, with music YMMV  Grin  I quite liked the Rohan theme on the Hardinger Fiddle ( a Norwegian instrument). It has a melancholy and sense of being alone that fits both Eowyn and the earlier scenes in Edoras. It is given a different flavour with horn instrumentation later in the movie. Using the cembalon for Gollum was excellent too.  Howard Shore uses unusual instruments very well and can write for a variety of voices and ranges.  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 07:05:33 PM »

Actually, I think this is quite off-topic....if anyone complains I'll move it to the Other Board but if I don't get any complaints I'll leave it here.

Ebor are you familiar with Glass Hammer and/or The Tolkien Ensemble?  Both write excellent Middle-Earth themed music.  The Tolkien Ensemble has permission from the estate of JRR Tolkien to use the text of The Lord of the Rings for their songs.  A popular cd of theirs is A Night in Rivendell.

Glass Hammer is a folk group that has a cd of songs inspired by the writings of Tolkien called The Middle Earth Album.  I've only heard two of their songs so far, but both of those two were very good. (The Old Troll and the Maiden, The Man in the Wood)  They have an audience in the background of the songs so it's almost like you're at the Prancing Pony.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 08:57:53 PM »

Yes I saw her in a programme where she sung with Placido Domingo and an Italian tenor, she also won a contest she sings great and she so beautiful. I'll try to get the liturgical albun though I think it'll never get here. Huh
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 09:11:29 PM »

If I mutter this quietly, maybe no one will complain to you. Smiley

We have a 2 CD set of The Tolkien Ensemble and hope to get their latest At Dawn in Rivendell which was just released in the US last month.  They are excellent.  The Danish singers are very good and their slightly accented English makes the lyrics more rounded and fitting.  I have not heard Glass Hammer, though I've heard good things about them. Thanks for the recommendation. So little time, so much music... Smiley

On "Sound and Spirit" in November was a program with LotR as the theme.  The host played a couple songs by a Dutch group, The Hobbitons. I've visited their website and plan to send them $20 for their CD.

There is also symphonic music based on Tolkien.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 09:12:45 PM »

Did she sing any of the Armenian Hymns when you heard her, Snoopy?

Ebor

Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2003, 03:54:35 AM »

no she just sung opera arias, I wish I had heard her singing Armenian
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: