OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:12:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Evangelism In Muslim Countries  (Read 1771 times) Average Rating: 0
Linus7
Archon

« on: April 02, 2003, 10:34:54 PM »

Is such evangelism going on?

How successful has it been?

Considering the repressive nature of Islam and the regimes spawned by it, are Orthodox Christians being martyred for their witness in Islamic lands?

What about Bosnia specifically?

Your info and comments are appreciated.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
uturn

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 03:29:21 PM »

Ironically, it is the Orthodox Serbs who are responsible for the revival/renaissance of Slavic Muslim/Ottoman culture and the Islamic faith in Bosnia-Herzogovina, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Montenegro, Thracian Greece, etc.

If Archbishop John Ireland is the "father of American Orthodoxy," then Milosovic can very well be labeled the "father of the Slavic Muslim revival/renaissance in the Balkans and America."

"It follows, therefore, that imagination is a power of the soul such that, by its very nature, it has no capacity for entering the realm of union with God."--Unseen Warfare.

"For this reason the holy fathers call the devil a painter...a br
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 05:02:49 PM »

I am surprised such stresses would spark a revival.

When the ancestors of the present-day Bosnian Muslims were pressured by the Turks, they simply apostatized from Christianity. One would think their descendants might do the same with regard to Islam.

Perhaps Clinton's merciless bombing raids helped this "revival" a bit.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
uturn

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 05:39:34 PM »

I am surprised such stresses would spark a revival.

When the ancestors of the present-day Bosnian Muslims were pressured by the Turks, they simply apostatized from Christianity. One would think their descendants might do the same with regard to Islam.

Perhaps Clinton's merciless bombing raids helped this "revival" a bit.

Actually, the Bosnians saw the Turks as liberators, since the majority of Bosnians were Bogomils and were living under the threat of extermination by the Pope and the Hungarian monarch.

Also, after the defeat of the Serbian armies by the Turks, many of the Serbian and other Slavic nobles, converted to Islam and this fact had a strong influence upon those of the lower classes of Bosnian-Serbian society.

The Muslims also had another advantage: the Muslim missionaries sent to the Balkans were often former Christians from Byzantium and were much better educated and more culturally refined than the Christian clergy of the Balkans.

There has been a strong revival of Islamic culture in the Balkans, with many Slavic Muslims now studying in Turkey and other Islamic countries. Of course, the Turks are assisting the Bosnians in many ways, including the training of a new officer corps for the Bosnian army.

The Serbian bombing of Sarajevo and the loss of 250,000 souls during the Bosnian-Serb war had more to do with the Islamic revival in the Balkans than Clinton's war against the hapless Serbs.

And poor Serbia's problems never cease to end....especially among the thuggish 'leadership,' excuse the expression.

"It follows, therefore, that imagination is a power of the soul such that, by its very nature, it has no capacity for entering the realm of union with God."--Unseen Warfare.

"For this reason the holy fathers call the devil a painter...a br
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 08:42:04 PM »

Actually, the Bosnians saw the Turks as liberators, since the majority of Bosnians were Bogomils and were living under the threat of extermination by the Pope and the Hungarian monarch.

The majority of Bosnians were Bogomils?

That's a new one on me.

It may be true; I'm not saying it's not.

But could I get a source for that info, please?

I think the Turks liberated a lot of people . . .  from their lives and property. That is why they are still so darned popular today! Tongue
« Last Edit: April 03, 2003, 08:53:56 PM by Linus7 » Logged

- Pope St. Hormisdas
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 09:20:12 PM »

The majority of Bosnians were Bogomils?

I think that's true: that during the Middle Ages, pre-Turkish Empire, the Bosnians had their own 'Bosnian Church', which was neither Catholic nor Orthodox - it was Bogomil.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 09:26:04 PM »

Serge -

Thanks.

I knew the Bogomils were present in Bulgaria, but I did not know about Bosnia, too.

So I guess they went from bad to worse when they converted to Islam.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 09:33:28 PM »

Linus,

You're welcome. Basically the Bosnians welcomed the Turks and, having no love for the Catholics (Croats) or the Orthodox (Serbs, Montenegrins and Bulgarians), with whom they apparently fought, they became Muslims with a vengeance, happily adopting the conqueror's religion against their old enemies. Also, Bogomilism and Islam resembled each other enough that it seemed a good fit/easy change.

AFAIK the Serbs, Montenegrins, Croats and Bosnians are really the same ethnicity and speak the same language. It's just that the Orthodox people use the Cyrillic alphabet (slightly different to the Russian version), the others use the Latin alphabet (this one) with accent marks, and as P.J. O'Rourke put it, the Serbs and Montenegrins don't go to Divine Liturgy, the Croats don't go to Mass and I guess the Bosnians don't go to mosque Friday nights.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2003, 09:38:27 PM by Serge » Logged

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2003, 09:42:46 PM »

I guess that was a common reaction for Gnostic/Manichean sects. The Ebionites and Nasoreans did the same thing in the Middle East.

What about attempts to win Muslims for Christ today?

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: