OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 05:09:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Sort of silly, but what sorts of shoes do you wear for holy week (mainly for the ladies)
heels, duh - 3 (25%)
granny shoes - 5 (41.7%)
start out in heels, end up in granny shoes - 1 (8.3%)
other (pleas explain!) - 3 (25%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shoes for Holy Week  (Read 1706 times) Average Rating: 0
aurelia
High Elder

« on: April 17, 2006, 09:07:09 AM »

I know it is silly, but after two days so far in my heels usually with an extra 30 odd pounds on one hip (cranky child) I am seriously looking for some granny shoes.  Grin

Do you ladies have a comfy pair you break out for Holy Week, or have you found a happy medium somewhere?  Or do you secretly slip them off in the Cry room? (so far i haven't)
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 10:02:55 AM »

'Shoes' has to be reason number 318 why "I'm Glad I'm A Guy And Don't Have to Worry About This Stuff"... Wink

My wife, mother of four with a husband who's usually in the altar and therefore unavailable to help her, definitely breaks out the Comfy Church Shoes from Wednesday onwards, and they may make an appearance in the Bridegroom Services as well, depending on her mood. She has two pair of Comfy Church Shoes, and will alternate their wear, so that she doesn't feel like she has been wearing them too often and then get too self-conscious about it.

No one has ever spoken to my wife about her footwear choices, but I'm certain that if anyone ever did my wife would ask why the questioner is looking at her feet and not up towards the altar.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 11:55:57 AM »

well, i chose "other" because i wouldn't call my regular church shoes "granny shoes" but they are definitely not heels...i have two pairs of black flats, mary-jane style (w/ a lil strap and buckle over the top of my foot) that i alternate for church, and they are basically what i wear all the time, including Holy Week. but if you usually wear heels (something i know i could never do - i commend you greatly for that!), i'd say break out the granny shoes with no qualms at all this week. at some point around friday or so the exhaustion begins to set in, and i bet shoes are the last thing on everyone's mind. Smiley

D

hmmmm...
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 04:11:02 PM »

LOL!  I'm complaining and I only wear like 2" heels at the most...I saw some yesterday I swear were 4", I don't know how that woman did it!  Shin splints are no fun!
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 08:29:54 PM »

I wear flat "mary jane" type shoes too - but not just for Holy Week.  I wear them every Sunday and have hence named them "my Church shoes".  In years past, I am always tempted to wear my knee high boots with heels (at Easter) as they keep my legs warm for midnight mass (it's autumn here in Australia) ... but they're really uncomfortable after 4 hours in Church ... ssssoooo ... this year, I'm resorting to flat shoes.  What does it matter anyway - if the Church is so packed liked sardines - as it always is for Easter midnight mass, no-one will be able to look down at your shoes anyway!  Opt for the flat!!! :-)  

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 08:43:45 PM »

SAS loafers are always comfortable.  Forget about vanity.  Your feet and your back are more important.

http://walking.about.com/od/prshoe/tp/comfortshoes.htm

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 08:50:20 PM »

My wife and I always wear comfortable shoes for church . . . Holy Week or not.  No heels, (I wouldn't be able to stand more than 2 seconds in them anyway) just something that looks good and feels great.

P

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 07:53:10 AM »

I'd love a nice pair of Naturalizers.  They seem so comfy.  But I only have three pairs of shoes, brown and black heels, and a pair of ratty three year old sneakers!  

*I'm sure if I dropped the X pounds I've put on over the last year I would have an easier time of it too. but that's another story!*  Wink
Tsarina

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Anastasia Royal-Martyr

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 03:47:25 PM »

I know it is silly, but after two days so far in my heels usually with an extra 30 odd pounds on one hip (cranky child) I am seriously looking for some granny shoes.  Grin

Do you ladies have a comfy pair you break out for Holy Week, or have you found a happy medium somewhere?  Or do you secretly slip them off in the Cry room? (so far i haven't)

I'm always wearing my stilletoes. I've gotten so used to them that i can stand in them for atleast 3 hours. Anyway, for Pascha i sliped them off when no one was looking. I'm in the Choir and we're standing on the Church balcony where it can be a bit crowded. Let's just say that standing in stilletoes for the whole Paschal Service can be a killer!

"Orthodoxy is life; one cannot talk about it, one must live it."

St. Nectary of Optina
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 12:12:18 AM »

I'm resurrecting this four year old thread because I just found out that SAS Shoes now has a website.  They didn't have one four years ago.  You can easily make it through a church service standing in a pair of these:

http://www.sasshoes.com/main/view_styles_catalog.php?catid=2

Take care of your feet and your back.   Smiley

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 12:53:51 AM »

Clogs, I have VERY native american feet- small and wide (6.5 EEEE)

I have a 9 mth old, 2 year old, 4 year old and 8 year old to chase.

Anything by Keen is also wonderfully comfortable and quite stylish.
http://www.keenfootwear.com/wall/shoes/women/na/16,530
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:57:12 AM by Quinault » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 02:01:45 AM »

I usually wear either stelletos or some sort of heel to Church. The lowest pair of heels I own are 2 1/2". I sing in the choir and stand the entire time. I just feel comfortable in them. I usually buy Enzo Angiolini heels, and find them to be very comfortable, very stylish, and very durable.

(To be fair, I'm single and don't have a baby bouncing on my hip. If I did, the flats would be coming out! lol)

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 02:39:19 AM »

This is so funny.  Someone put a Chuck Norris tag on this thread.  What kind of shoes would he wear to liturgy?

Tags: shoes Chuck Norris 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: