OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 07:37:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Barrett Numbers  (Read 6403 times) Average Rating: 0
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2003, 07:42:56 PM »

Keble -

This is difficult for me, but I must ask your forgiveness.

Regarding this statement I made in the Re:Protestant Forum? thread:

Of course, most of them will skeedaddle quick once their cherished notions are skewered, but the more rabid will stick it out.

I am afraid I offended you early on with that remark, which I deeply regret. It was incredibly stupid and arrogant of me. I will go back and edit it out.

Please forgive me.

Of course, I do not believe I am intellectually superior to any and all Protestants. That is not the case. It was simply a stupid remark.

A second point: you were right when you said I picked up the Barrett citation from an internet web site without actually examining Barrett's Encyclopedia for myself.

That was extremely sloppy scholarship on my part, and I should know better.

In pointing this out you have acted as a friend to me.

Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful (Proverbs 27:6).

You have saved me much embarrassment that I might have experienced were I to continue citing Barrett erroneously and in a less friendly venue.

Thank you.

It is true you have embarrassed me here; but here I am among my brothers, sisters, and friends.

They already know I am a jerk and love me anyway.

I have thought long and hard about this thread and the totality of it.

We disagree on many issues, and I have not changed my mind about them, nor am I likely to.

Yet I should never let my own anger produce a knee-jerk reaction that prevents the Lord from teaching me a good lesson.

Anyway, I hope you can forgive my arrogance and my sloppy scholarship. The latter was not the product of any intentional dishonesty, I assure you. It was the product of laziness, pure and simple.

May God guide you and bless you, and may He forgive me!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2003, 07:45:40 PM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2003, 08:50:29 AM »

Thank you for your most gracious apology. I have re-read what I wrote and find that my language is at times excessively strident and combative, for which I must apologize to you and to all others who frequent this place.

I did not make it to the library yesterday. At the last minute I was moved to stay at my son's concert and purchase one of the last remaining tickets. And a good thing too, as it happened. So I have no more detail on Barrett's analysis to present. Not that I am attempting to further refute you; it just seems to me that the information is interesting in its own right. (And eventually you're run into someone who claims that there are 4 million or more moslems in the USA. There aren't; studies indicate that there are probably no more moslems in the USA than Epsicopalians.)
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2003, 12:31:23 PM »

Keble -

Thanks for your gracious acceptance.

I am afraid I am the cause of any strident or combative language you may have used, so naturally, you are forgiven automatically.

I agree that the Barrett numbers are interesting in their own right, and I look forward to future installments of whatever you can tell us about them.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: