OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 02:11:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO's Easters  (Read 915 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: April 13, 2006, 03:02:06 AM »

I understand that the Indian Orthodox in America, both the Syrian and Independant factions, celebrate Easter at the same time the Catholics do.  What about Armenians?

And should it be a requirement, a necessity that all OO's celebrate Easter the same date?

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 09:46:12 AM »

All Orthodox Indians (and I purposed put the words in that order to include everyone) celebrate Easter according to the Western calculation since the early 1950's.  The Armenians also celebrate on the same date.  

I think it is preferable for all of us to celebrate on one date, but how would we go about making that happen?  If we can figure out how to do that, maybe we can get other stuff done...

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 01:41:52 PM »

All Orthodox Indians (and I purposed put the words in that order to include everyone) celebrate Easter according to the Western calculation since the early 1950's.  The Armenians also celebrate on the same date.  

I think it is preferable for all of us to celebrate on one date, but how would we go about making that happen?  If we can figure out how to do that, maybe we can get other stuff done...

True...if only we can actually get things done Roll Eyes

Has the Armenian Church changed this recently, or centuries back?

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:32:48 PM »

It was sometime after the Genocide, when the surviving Armenians went into diaspora, that the Armenians in the U.S. started celebrating Easter on the Western date.  I know in Jerusalem they still celebrate on the old date.  I don't know about the Armenians in the rest of the world.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »

A blessed Good Friday to all Orthodox Indians and our Armenian Orthodox brothers and sisters.

Lord have mercy.

Mina

Tags: Pascha calendar diversity in practice Armenian Church Indian Orthodox OO calendars 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: