OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 03:10:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Praying for determination and ambition  (Read 1363 times) Average Rating: 0
ionus

Faith: Romanian Orthodox Christian

« on: April 12, 2006, 07:45:19 PM »

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any Saints that help with learning disabilities or determination to focus?  I heard St.John of Kronstadt was such a Saint, that one could pray to, but I'm not sure...i've been reading his history in some websites, and none of them say anything about this.  

Basically, it's like this, I think i might have ADD, I can never stay focused enough to follow through a Big project to completion, a big project such as deciding what kind of career to have.  But, now, I'm pretty sure I want to enter a particular field (urban planning),and I am motivated now, but if nothing changes within me, this motivation will not last long enough for me to stay determined to follow through.  

Could someone please recommend, as a preliminary step, a certain Saint that could help me with this problem?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks and God bless
Ion
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 09:29:32 PM »

I don't know you from Adam, so this is just a really general thought, but while you might indeed have ADD (or something a bit more acute, like Bipolar), I wouldn't rule out something from the opposite direction. That is to say, it's possible that the concentration issue is just a part of who you are, and that it might point to something great, not something bad, about yourself (e.g., you could consider the excitability paragraphs from this article). I'm sorry that I don't know any saints for this particular issue, but I wish you the best.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 09:10:52 AM »

It would not hurt to ask for the intercession of St. John of Kronstadt who did indeed have problems in attending to his lessons and learning difficult material including  classic languages until he began to pray for assistance.  At the moment, at work, I do not have access to his  book My Life In Christ, But I believe that it might be found  there to which Saint or perhaps the Theotokos he asked interecession from.  Also St John Maximovitch of SanFrancisco might also have some suggestions.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 10:08:37 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
ionus

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 03:46:16 PM »

Thank you guys very much.  I appreciate it.

Asteriktos, thanks, the article helped me to at least think about this problem in a less constrained way.  Though, I don't necessarily believe I am that gifted adult, I do think that learning to cope in my situation, would require that I seek out the friendship of others and not isolate myself.

Thomas, thank you, I knew I heard that it was St.John of Kronstadt who had this problem of learning, and I think it was the Theotokos that he prayed to, I'm glad you reconfirmed that for me.  And thanks for telling about St.John Maximovich, I will seek out his guidance.

God bless you, and pray for me a sinner.
ion
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 10:51:03 PM »

Ion,
For learning progress I would recommend to read akathistos to St. Sergius of Radonezh (40) times. I did use that method myself. This infomation has been recieved by me when I was still in high school from clergy. Honestly, the result was amazing. Seriously, I consider it a miracle of my life. Best of success with your studies!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 11:04:19 PM by Starlight » Logged
ionus

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 01:27:51 AM »

Thank you Starlight...I believe this is what I was looking for, when I thought about this prayer.  I downloaded a biography on Saint Sergius, and will read it after Holy Week.  May you have a blessed Holy Week, and Pascha.  

In Christ,
Ion
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 01:53:10 AM »

Thank you, Ion. Have a blessed Holy Week and a wonderful Pascha as well!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: