OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 11:35:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bad Time of Year for Atheists  (Read 428 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: January 04, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »

NEW YORK—This is a bad time of year for atheists. So much so, they are showing signs of desperation. In the cesspool that is Uncle Sam’s capital, an unusual Christmas message began appearing last week on the sides of buses and trains: “NO GOD?…NO PROBLEM!” Two hundred and seventy of these ads have gone up, paid for by secular groups in cities around the country. Similar signs are being placed on buses and billboards in New York, Las Vegas, Chicago, and Los Angeles, as well as foreign Sodoms and Gomorrahs such as London, Toronto, and Montreal. I say so what? Sometimes I think the anti-Christian forces take Christ more seriously than do most nominal Christians. Atheists are jealous of the Christmas season. While we have Jesus and the Jews have the prophets, what do they have? Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Sam Harris—as motley a group as those who voted for Qatar in exchange for three million pieces of silver.

Once upon a time, religion was equated with ignorance and superstition, which eventually gave way to science, fact, and reason. Secular elites banged the drum loudly, exhorting us to acknowledge that the world was better off without Christ and God. Unfortunately, they got it the other way around. At the turn of the millennium it was pretty hard not to notice that the 20th century, when these buggers prevailed among the pseudo-elites who rule over us, was the worst one yet for death and destruction and out-and-out state murder. Denouncing God and in turn Jesus has turned us into savages, which in turn has made for a spiritual quest by most decent people in the Western world.

“The West’s success, including the rise of science, rested entirely on religious foundations, and the people who brought it about were devout Christians.”

Mind you, the natural reaction to Christ is to reject him. He said so. He later predicted his own death and told his followers they must expect persecution. His bitterest enemies weren’t atheists, however: They were the most religious men of his age, the Pharisees. (Today’s Pharisees worship Wall Street and Big Oil.) Paul Johnson once wrote in these here pages that “No wise man and no great artist leaves out God.” The all-knowing Paul wrote that it is far more difficult to prove that God doesn’t exist rather than that he does. All the poor little Greek boy knows is that whenever I’ve met scientists who had something to do with space, they all say that the more knowledge they acquired, the more they believed in a higher being. The same goes for some great musicians I’ve known. The awe over Schubert’s great works goes hand-in-hand with the kind of gift only God can bestow. His last three piano sonatas, which he wrote while terminally ill at age 31, are proof that this was a command coming from the top, at least according to Maestro Dimitri Mitropoulos.

What I find ironic about resisting Jesus is that it’s nothing new. When Jesus began to preach, he accompanied his words with miracles. The blind saw, the deaf heard, and lepers were healed. His enemies could not dispute his miracles—too many witnesses—so they disputed his words. They do so to this day. I say let them. When I come across atheist scum, I do not reach for my gun, nor do I reach for the crucifix around my neck. Someone better than the little Greek boy will take care of them later on, or perhaps sooner than they think.

The West’s success, including the rise of science, rested entirely on religious foundations, and the people who brought it about were devout Christians. So says Rodney Stark in his The Victory of Reason. According to Stark, Christianity alone among the world’s religions conceived a coherent world which worked through applying reason and logic. Nothing new, says the great religious scholar Taki. In their mistaken idealism, even the Ancient Greeks accorded their genius to gods, however human they made them out to be. Once Jesus was revealed, it all made sense.

A godless Christmas seems to me a very sad and morbid occasion. For strutting atheists, it is a very bad time. And it’s getting worse. The war on Christmas has failed as stores, schools, and public places have had enough of the secular bullies. Christmas trees are again called Christmas trees rather than holiday trees, and it’s fine to wish someone a happy Christmas without being called an anti-Semite or a bigot. As always, the bad guys overplayed their hand.

Which I did, too. Too many Christmas parties have left me looking like Peter Lorre after Bogie got through with him in The Maltese Falcon. The Big Bagel knows how to celebrate Christmas. Everyone gives parties, and at times it seems everyone invited the poor little Greek boy to shorten the time until he meets his maker. It started on December 2nd, on my son’s birthday party in his Brooklyn flat, where I met a beautiful 24-year-old named Flora from Edinburgh University. Of course, nothing can compare with my Low Life colleague’s meetings with the “Cow Girl.” My English friends who came over for a brief visit couldn’t wait to read the next installment. “What about High Life?” I asked them. “Don’t you find it fun anymore?” “Oh, yes, it’s OK, but I literally can’t wait to read what happens next with old Jeremy,” said his onetime host Tim Hoare as he finished the third bottle of very expensive vino.

Oh well, Jeremy Clarke is more fun to read and less preachy, but that’s because he’s 20 years younger. To all of you, a very happy Christmas and New Year.
http://takimag.com/article/a_bad_time_of_year_for_atheists1

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:15:01 PM »

This reads like a parody.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »

This reads like a parody.
Grin

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: