OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 03:46:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new convert struggles  (Read 1467 times) Average Rating: 0
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« on: April 11, 2006, 05:03:58 PM »

I am really struggling with this new faith.  We are only two years into it, but it's been a whirwind complete with a wedding, 5 baptisms, another birth and another baptism.  I still have a teen that hasn't converted.  It is just Lent? I am not even following the full fast as I have already landed in the doc's office 3 times.  Trying to nurse baby still, homeschool, deal with special needs child AND learn the faith. How do you do it??

We had demonic attacks start when we even looked into the Faith.  My special needs dd stopped speaking altogether at that time.  It's been intense ever since.  The priest we had prayed for healing for her.  When he was out for surgery, the interim priest said she had a curse on her and prayed for that removal.
It's really lonely being in a tiny parish with no other moms and no other kids for mine.  But there are no others.  Such is the price of living in a baptist town.
Does this get any easier?  I feel like I am going it all alone, which is fairly accurate since dh is rarely home AND awake at the same time. (has sleep apnea)  Are there any moms on here?  Suggestions?
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 05:15:02 PM »

We had demonic attacks start when we even looked into the Faith.

wow that sounds interesting, care to explain further?

as for Lent, if you are experiencing health problems, do not feel ashamed to discontinue this year, theres always next year and the year after. God will understand your problems. Yes it can be hectic, perticularily for a convert (whole family?), but things will settle down. Speak about your problems and we willa ttempt to help you out...just relax, things will get better.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 05:16:40 PM by Sloga » Logged

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »

Caligraphqueen,

You are a nursing mother?  Then I have this question for you:  why are you fasting?  Nursing mothers are exempt from the fast!  I agree with Sloga:  Be gentle with yourself.  In conjunction with your spiritual father, just try to do the best you can.  

I know what you mean about being alone.  I've been in situations where I was the only Orthodox Christian for hundreds of miles around, literally!  It's rough.  Make whatever use you can of the internet to find other Orthodox families.  I know that some have posted on the special family board they have on this site now.  I think it's important that you realize that you are not alone and that you make an effort to search out others like you, and ask God to connect them to you!

It's seldom an easy ride as a convert.  You are going through things that many of us have gone through.  Just keep asking God to help you:  Don't stop asking him for help at all times.  That's one thing that I realize our "rugged individualist" western culture doesn't teach us to do, and that's to always call on the Lord for help.  If you need better spiritual advice, ask him for it, and it will come.  If you need relief from certain warfares you will get what you need.  Keep an open heart to Him and ask Him if you are missing something, and if you are, could He please show you what!  He will answer.  Don't despair if you go through periods of real spiritual dryness.  This is normal: we all go through it.  God will not abandon you, even though it feels like it.

But who am I to give you advice?  You have to cope with way more in your life than I do in mine, and I am no spiritual guide.  I admire you and your husband for your perseverance.  

May God bless you in your struggles and grant you your heart's desire!

James Bob

BTW, it couldn't hurt to post a prayer request on this forum.....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 05:37:02 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 03:10:18 AM »

I will include you in my prayers and thoughts. Remember at this time to focus on the Joy of the Resurrection and give in to the services.  if you can not fast as a nursing mother ( and church law does grant you an exception) then offer up prayer for others or alms for the poor as you Lenten discipline.

As a convert it is important that you know that you will not be able to be  the "Perfect" Orthodox Christian, I don't really know of any, but you can become the  "Practicing" Orthodox Christian who does what they can and speaks to a spiritual father or pastor to help guide them to living an Orthodox Lifestyle that will lead them to salvation. Too many converts, myself included, in the first years of our life in the church try to become the "perfect" Orthodox Christian not realizing that this is the goal not the path. I have spoken with numerous holy fathers in the monasteries and pastors who have reiterated this to me that the "way" of Orthodoxy is the living of it on a day-to-day basis rejoicing in the blessings God gives us in our successes and confession of our inabilities to hit the mark when we fail.  I have learned that I have grown more from my failures than from my successes as the failures open me to direction and growth.
May the Lord help you on the Way.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 03:12:55 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 08:28:21 AM »

You have a LOT on your plate, with the kids and the hub and health issues.  Relax! Pravoslavbob is correct, you don't have to adhere to the fast, not with a nursing baby.  Don't feel bad, I'm not either because of health issues.  I'm sending you ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) I have 5 kids myself, and I know how hard that can be, you with 8 (right?) I can't imagine...so my hats off to you!

Also, have you been able to take the daughter with problems to a physician, to rule out anything physiological, or chemical (as in the brain) that could be contributing to her condition?

Post away, and as far as I am concerned, it can be about any family related issues...we moms need each other!
Bishop Paul Andrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 02:44:48 AM »

I am really struggling with this new faith.  We are only two years into it, but it's been a whirwind complete with a wedding, 5 baptisms, another birth and another baptism.  I still have a teen that hasn't converted.  It is just Lent? I am not even following the full fast as I have already landed in the doc's office 3 times.  Trying to nurse baby still, homeschool, deal with special needs child AND learn the faith. How do you do it??

We had demonic attacks start when we even looked into the Faith.  My special needs dd stopped speaking altogether at that time.  It's been intense ever since.  The priest we had prayed for healing for her.  When he was out for surgery, the interim priest said she had a curse on her and prayed for that removal.
It's really lonely being in a tiny parish with no other moms and no other kids for mine.  But there are no others.  Such is the price of living in a baptist town.
Does this get any easier?  I feel like I am going it all alone, which is fairly accurate since dh is rarely home AND awake at the same time. (has sleep apnea)  Are there any moms on here?  Suggestions?

You and your family are in my Prayers. Listen to others that give you answers. Just relax and go with the flow, you as a nursing Mother need not to fast, just stay strong and take care of your baby and family for Christ will be with you through these trying times.
vasilisl

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 07:38:11 PM »

Hello calligraphqueen,

you have strength that is admirable! i Really hope that things are better for you.

I have learned alot from reading about saints like St Nektarios, Elder Paisios and Porfyrios. They where talking about the power of praying. That ANYTHING is possible through praying. All we need to do is have trust in HIM. When these saints had problems, or when they wanted to help someone, they usually went in front of an icon of Mary or another saint and prayed to the Lord for mercy.
So when i am in very tough situations i go in front of an icon of Panayia (Mary) and i speak to her like she is my own mother (And she is Our Mother). I tell her my problems, i ask for help even though i am unworthy of any help, and she is there. And she is there for all of us. Ask for her help and she will be there for you, if she is not already!

My best wishes to you

Ο Σταυρός του Χριστού είναι η ζωή και η σω
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: