OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:36:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What would best describe your beliefs about how the universe and man came to be?
Young Earth Creationism (e.g., earth is less than 10,000 years old) - 12 (14.6%)
Other Creationism (e.g., the "days" in Genesis could each signify very long periods) - 19 (23.2%)
Theistic Intelligent Design (e.g., we were created by a God, and I *know* which God) - 6 (7.3%)
Deistic Intelligent Design (e.g., the universe was created by God, though I'm not sure which version of God most accurately describes Him) - 0 (0%)
Vanilla Intelligent Design (e.g., there was some type of designer, though I don't know if it was a supernatural entity) - 1 (1.2%)
Neo-Darwinian Gradualistic Evolution - 8 (9.8%)
Other Evolutionary Theories - 0 (0%)
None of These - 2 (2.4%)
A Mixture of These - 8 (9.8%)
Theistic Evolution - 20 (24.4%)
Not Sure - 6 (7.3%)
Total Voters: 82

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evolutionist, ID, or Creationist? Cast Your Vote!  (Read 20457 times) Average Rating: 0
jaderook

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #225 on: December 25, 2006, 11:25:21 PM »

Awww, no choice for I could care less? Wink

Anastasios

I'm right there with ya.  I used to promote and debate my preferred view against others, but it certainly didn't help me out spiritually (or anyone else for that matter). 
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #226 on: December 25, 2006, 11:44:44 PM »

I guess it all depends. I would say that the evolution issue played an important part in my "spiritual" (ie. despiritualizing) journey. It'd be impossible to quantify exactly how much of an effect it had, but if I had to put a number on it I'd say that it was probably 10% of the reason I became disillusioned with Christianity. I should add though that it wasn't just the evolution vs. creation debate by itself, but also the anthropological beliefs (in the Scriptures and Church Fathers) that seemed to be based primarily on the Genesis text.
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #227 on: December 25, 2006, 11:53:15 PM »

Could someone direct me to a forum where practicing Orthodox Christians weigh in on such subjects?

Thank you so much!
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #228 on: December 26, 2006, 12:04:31 AM »

Euphrosynoscafe.com. You'll fit in well there. Tell them Justin sent ya.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #229 on: December 26, 2006, 08:07:03 PM »

Euphrosynoscafe.com. You'll fit in well there. Tell them Justin sent ya.

That's a forum not for Orthodox Christians, but Old Calendarist fringe groups.

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #230 on: December 26, 2006, 08:09:32 PM »

But your argument is a red herring, not to mention an appeal to authority (2 fallacies).

I don't see where in Darwin's theory one could find support for atheism.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #231 on: December 26, 2006, 09:21:05 PM »

That's a forum not for Orthodox Christians, but Old Calendarist fringe groups.

Asteriktos was having a bit of fun with BoredMeeting.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2007, 09:42:42 AM »

I don't understand this at all. Why don't we all start discussing our "beliefs" about how moving cars came to be? Smiley Or these shining light bulbs... what's the best way to characterize my "beliefs" about why they shine?

I believe in God. I believe that God is the author of all things. But when I think or talk or write about biological evolution, I - a biology teacher - simply know that there is no room for theology there, just like there is no room and no necessity in any theology when a person talks or thinks or writes about the work of the internal combustion engine or of an electric circuit. We know facts. Or... we don't. And in this case, we are not "creationists" or, say, "light-bulb-shines-due-to-the-invisible-hand-of-God-ists," but, er,... ignoramuses.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:43:13 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2007, 12:24:06 AM »

I don't understand this at all. Why don't we all start discussing our "beliefs" about how moving cars came to be? Smiley Or these shining light bulbs... what's the best way to characterize my "beliefs" about why they shine?

I believe in God. I believe that God is the author of all things. But when I think or talk or write about biological evolution, I - a biology teacher - simply know that there is no room for theology there, just like there is no room and no necessity in any theology when a person talks or thinks or writes about the work of the internal combustion engine or of an electric circuit. We know facts. Or... we don't. And in this case, we are not "creationists" or, say, "light-bulb-shines-due-to-the-invisible-hand-of-God-ists," but, er,... ignoramuses.  Embarrassed
George,

I don't object to a belief in evolution, for I see evidence for it's validity as a scientific theory.  Though I do have a problem with many of the humanist philosophies that have been built on evolutionary theory--that's a topic totally separate from the science of evolution--I don't see evolutionary theory and Orthodox Christian faith in the creative work of God as diametrically opposed to each other. 

That with which I do take issue is your insistence that evolution is a fact.  AISI, evolutionary theory is just that, a theory.  A theory that is the best, most scientific explanation of the origins of life based on the evidence we have before us.  But to be scientifically honest, I just don't think we can call evolution an established fact.  Who knows?  Scientists may discover something ten, twenty, thirty, or even a hundred years from now that shakes our belief in evolution to the very core.  This potential falsifiability is what makes evolutionary theory truly scientific; calling evolution a fact does not--it just makes you dogmatic, and dogma is not falsifiable.

That said, I can't stand creationists, either.  Too much ignorant fear-mongering...  Our God is certainly big enough to withstand the scrutiny of modern science, and I would hope our faith is, too.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:24:39 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2007, 12:32:30 AM »

Hear, Hear! Thanks for the dose of common sense.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2007, 12:41:50 AM »

That with which I do take issue is your insistence that evolution is a fact.  AISI, evolutionary theory is just that, a theory.  A theory that is the best, most scientific explanation of the origins of life based on the evidence we have before us.  But to be scientifically honest, I just don't think we can call evolution an established fact.  Who knows?  Scientists may discover something ten, twenty, thirty, or even a hundred years from now that shakes our belief in evolution to the very core.  This potential falsifiability is what makes evolutionary theory truly scientific; calling evolution a fact does not--it just makes you dogmatic, and dogma is not falsifiable.

Science openly admits that it lacks a complete and total understanding of the evolutionary mechanisms that created life and the cosmological forces that created the universe. But it knows that in these theories are the basis of truth, the basis of fact...it is merely the details that have yet to be worked out.

As for creationism, it is merely mythology...there is not in it even a glimmer of fact (whether there is truth is dependent on your personal convictions, but it is utterly devoid of fact). I guess in the end, I should avoid this 'debate', because I cannot honestly take creationists seriously...I'd just laugh in their face. Undecided

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #236 on: August 28, 2007, 07:50:36 AM »

George,

I don't object to a belief in evolution, for I see evidence for it's validity as a scientific theory.  Though I do have a problem with many of the humanist philosophies that have been built on evolutionary theory--that's a topic totally separate from the science of evolution--I don't see evolutionary theory and Orthodox Christian faith in the creative work of God as diametrically opposed to each other. 

That said, I can't stand creationists, either.  Too much ignorant fear-mongering...  Our God is certainly big enough to withstand the scrutiny of modern science, and I would hope our faith is, too.

Peter,

Thank you for your reply. What I was trying to say, though, is that evolution - if defined as the change in the genetic makeup of populations, - is a fact. You can objectively measure frequencies of alleles in populations, and objectively verify that they, indeed, change. You can also tie this change to factors such as mutations, natural selection, genetic drift, migrations, and non-stochastic sexual replication (mating preferences). This real, factual, verifiable evolution may or may not be followed by speciation (depending on the degree of isolation of the two independently evolving populations).

The THEORY is not that evolution exists or not (it does) but that life on our planet, in its totality, is being constantly diversified by the above described process of evolution (change in the genetic makeup of populations). That, indeed, is a theory (of course). But there are many other similarly valid, serious, productive theories in science - for example, the atomic-molecular theory of the structure of matter (yes, a theory!), the theory of electromagnetic field, the theory of gravity, the cellular theory in biology, the clonal selection theory in immunology, the so-called "danger theory" in the present day "postmodernist" immunology (my field), and other.

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: