OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 01:53:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Orthodox Christian College?  (Read 5519 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: April 09, 2006, 03:27:25 AM »

Has anyone heard of Hellenic College? http://www.hellenic.hchc.edu/
I wonder if there are other Orthodox Christians colleges in the United States, perhaps closer to my town.

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 03:41:11 AM »

I wonder if there are other Orthodox Christians colleges in the United States, perhaps closer to my town.

Peace.

Matthew,
Hellenic College (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) is the secular (or maybe I should say non-Divinity school) twin of Holy Cross, the GOA Seminary.  GiS, cleveland and chris attend Holy Cross.  Have you been hiding under a rock?  It has existed for many years.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 03:44:18 AM »

Is it the only Orthodox college in the country?

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 03:45:30 AM »

Is it the only Orthodox college in the country?

Non-seminary?  I think so.  St. Vlad's has a partner college (forget the name) for undergrad and maybe St. Tihkon's and St. Herman's do to.  Not sure though.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 03:48:03 AM »

I bet this college must be expensive. I'm signing up to be in the substance-free dorm at Evergreen. Maybe going there won't be so bad after all. May God protect my soul.  Embarrassed

Peace.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 03:52:37 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 04:47:48 AM »

Peace.
I've had a look at the site, and I can't find any of the subjects that they actually teach. I'm lost. Please help.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 06:33:54 AM »

Hellenic College is the undergraduate institution of Holy Cross (which is a graduate theological school).  It is the only accredited Orthodox undergraduate school in the country.  There are both "religiou" and "non-religious" degrees in Hellenic College (6 total degrees):

Classics, Elementary Education, Human Development, Management & Leadership, Management Information Systems, and Religious Studies (the "A" track is for seminarians, and the "B" track is for non-seminarians, with the difference boiling down to the amount of required Greek and Chant in the program).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 01:07:25 PM »

Mathew, correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to think college is some dark evil place, unless it is a "Christian" or "Orthodox" college.  I know that is probably how it looks in the movies where all they show is frat parties, but there is another side.  It is like the real world; you've got every one from the fundie zelous to the soundly agnostic to the people who are driffting threw life and are only at college because a great-grandfather donated a lot of money.  Don't limit yourself to an Orthodox college if it doesn't offer the degree that you are wanting.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 10:46:35 PM »

Actually I hate to burst your bubble Cleveland but there is another orthodox Undergraduate school that is accredited.  

St. Sava Serbian Orthodox School of Theology which is in Libertyville IL, (north of Chicago) is an undergraduate degree in Divinity.  It's basically a further education school for guys from Serbia, but it is an accredited "college" but actually it's more of a School of Theology than an "undergraduate" school per se

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 11:08:57 PM »

Mathew, correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to think college is some dark evil place, unless it is a "Christian" or "Orthodox" college.  I know that is probably how it looks in the movies where all they show is frat parties, but there is another side.  It is like the real world; you've got every one from the fundie zelous to the soundly agnostic to the people who are driffting threw life and are only at college because a great-grandfather donated a lot of money.  Don't limit yourself to an Orthodox college if it doesn't offer the degree that you are wanting.
Maybe he's not worried about the movie portrayal, but the fact that secularist colleges offer anti-Christian agendas.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 03:08:25 AM »

Mathew, correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to think college is some dark evil place, unless it is a "Christian" or "Orthodox" college.

Usually, I would say that the opposite is true. I consider most private Christian colleges to be elitist and hypocritical. My biggest worry in transferring from a community college to the Evergreen State College is that it really is what people say it is, a haven for illicit drug use and extreme leftism.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 02:18:22 PM »

Hellenic College offers a unique opportunity to be around Orthodox Christians from around the world who can help you form yourself.  We're all struggling, but we have each other and our faith which we ALL share.  It really is a unique opportunity.  I'm in my 4th year there and I really thank God every day that he hit me upside the head and made me come to Hellenic.  

If you want you could PM me and i'll be more than happy to share more of that story with you.  Personal examples always help me put things in perspective.   Smiley

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Justinian

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 03:08:59 PM »

Usually, I would say that the opposite is true. I consider most private Christian colleges to be elitist and hypocritical. My biggest worry in transferring from a community college to the Evergreen State College is that it really is what people say it is, a haven for illicit drug use and extreme leftism.

Peace.

Just spend the extra 2000 a year and go to the University of Washington. Thats where I am, and I have to say for being a state university, its pretty tame, and great professors. Evergreen is just a dump, I couldnt even stand being there on a field trip in 8th grade...........

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 03:38:47 PM »

Evergreen is just a dump, I couldnt even stand being there on a field trip in 8th grade...........

For the most part, Evergreen is a good school. I look forward to going there. I just hope that I get the "substance-free" dorm. Why would someone specifically sign up for this dorm if they are going to drink and smoke pot all the time?

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 09:31:20 PM »

Besides, UW actually has a math requirement while Evergreen does not. Therefore, I'm going to Evergreen.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 11:35:43 AM »

At Hellenic we have only 1 math class that is required.  In this class we start with addition, subtraction.  we move on to multiplication and long devision.  The midterm is on fractions and we end the class with graphing.  That's it.  Then you're done with math for the rest of your life.  

Beat that!  Good ole' seminary requirements... Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
TomS
Banned
Archon

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 12:20:28 PM »

At Hellenic we have only 1 math class that is required.  In this class we start with addition, subtraction.

Because that's all the math you need to know to count the receipts from the Greek Festival and the raffles!  Wink
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 12:24:55 PM »

Don't forget all the $$$ on the side from tips and services (weddings, funerals, baptisms, etc.)

How about the tray at the end of church?   Grin

Sometimes multiplication is good too.  For money laundering...i mean money managing purposes  Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 12:41:21 PM »

Besides, UW actually has a math requirement while Evergreen does not. Therefore, I'm going to Evergreen.

I take it you want a degree rather than an education.  Huh Suit yourself, I suppose.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 01:28:43 PM »

For the most part, Evergreen is a good school. I look forward to going there. I just hope that I get the "substance-free" dorm. Why would someone specifically sign up for this dorm if they are going to drink and smoke pot all the time?

Peace.

I think you need to relax a little. As was mentioned earlier... not every dorm is like animal house and even at the craziest "party schools" you can pretty easily find people to hang out with, if you keep your mind open a bit. Other than that...how about drinking with them on occasion, you may find that they're not all demonic and depraved people.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 02:19:24 PM »

As someone who works in an advising role for a secular university, here is my .02.

There are many PROFESSORS that have an agenda (*ahem* leftist) to push and NOT THE INSTITUTION.  It depends on how many of these professors are collected in one place to create a bigger group that ultimately creates a reputation of a certain institution.

Speaking from experience, you will find druggies and harlots at the most conservative Christian institutions and politically and morally conservative folks at the most "liberal" institutions. Basically, if you are looking for it you will find it.

That said, I suggest you look for the institution that offers the degree program you wish to pursue. Plan a visit to not just the campus, but to the department you wish to study in.    I have seen too many students choose an institution based on Hersey (I went here because I wanted to part-ay or because of a certain professor or this institution has a ______ reputation for being conservative )  or blindly follow their friends.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 02:32:08 PM »

I take it you want a degree rather than an education.  Huh Suit yourself, I suppose.

U.S. News and World Report rated Evergreen as the #1 learning environment in the nation. It's a pretty good school.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 02:45:06 PM »

U.S. News and World Report rated Evergreen as the #1 learning environment in the nation.

"learning environment". That's leftist speak for pinko, commie institutions teaching the "Liberal Arts"
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 02:51:43 PM »

"learning environment". That's leftist speak for pinko, commie institutions teaching the "Liberal Arts"

Posts like this provide a caricature of conservatism. Are you sure you're not the Stephen Colbert of OC.net?

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 03:08:29 PM »

Posts like this provide a caricature of conservatism. Are you sure you're not the Stephen Colbert of OC.net?

Nope. Just your standard, run of the mill, troublemaker.

But more to the point, Am I right?

"The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. "
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:14:08 PM by TomS » Logged
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 03:20:45 PM »

Wouldn't Evergreen's "progressiveness" potentially provide a better education than other institutions?

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 03:24:06 PM »

Wouldn't Evergreen's "progressiveness" potentially provide a better education than other institutions?

It's called POSITIONING. It's simply a label that the college uses to market itself as "different" and "better" than all those other, by implication, "stodgy" institutions.

Does not mean that they ARE better.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:24:39 PM by TomS » Logged
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 03:29:59 PM »

Didn't you just quote a Wikipedia article anyway? Perhaps you should check this out:

"Princeton Review names Evergreen one of America's 'best value' colleges  
sermonta@evergreen.edu
Communications Manager
The Evergreen State College

March 30, 2006

OLYMPIA, Wash. — For the fourth year running, the Princeton Review has named The Evergreen State College one of the nation's "best value" four-year colleges. The New York-based education services company features Evergreen in the 2007 edition of its book, America's Best Value Colleges (Random House/Princeton Review, $18.95.)

"Being selected as one of the nation's best value colleges again this year makes clear our commitment to providing one of the best liberal arts educations in America, along with an equal commitment to remain as accessible as possible to students,” said Thomas L. "Les” Purce, Evergreen's president.

Evergreen joins the University of Washington, Washington State University and the University of Idaho as the only colleges in the Pacific Northwest to be selected. The guide profiles 150 public and private colleges in 40 states with excellent academics, generous financial aid packages and relatively low costs. Editors based their rankings on data obtained from administrators at more than 646 colleges and from surveys of students attending them.

"We considered over 30 factors to rate the colleges in four categories: academics, tuition GPA (the sticker price minus average amount students receive in scholarships and grants), the level of financial aid support and student borrowing,” explains Robert Franek, vice president for publishing at The Princeton Review. According to Franek, the company recommends the 150 schools in the book as America's best college education deals."
http://www.evergreen.edu/news/releases/mar06/princetonreview.htm

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 03:30:51 PM »

U.S. News and World Report rated Evergreen as the #1 learning environment in the nation. It's a pretty good school.

Without a math requirement, I seriously doubt it's a "pretty good school."  "Pretty good" schools don't let you blow off basic components of an education simply because you don't want to take a course in that area.  A "pretty good" school does the opposite and forces you to have at least a minimum exposure to fields other than your own.  It sounds like this school gives you a degree, not an education.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 03:36:30 PM »

A person can become educated without having to compute algebraic equations, especially if one's line of work would never necessitate doing so in the first place.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 03:42:14 PM »

Didn't you just quote a Wikipedia article anyway?

No.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 03:44:54 PM »

A person can become educated without having to compute algebraic equations, especially if one's line of work would never necessitate doing so in the first place.

Sure.  Roll Eyes

Hopefully Keble will stop by and smack this fallacy down, with prejudice.
Justinian

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 03:46:30 PM »

Well, during my field trip, we watched the Evergreen Drama Department act out "Othello". They'd "prepared it for months". They did not have the words memorized, they carried the scripts and read them out loud. Total theatrical abortion it was. Also, Evergreen does not have a foreign language, mathematic, or science requirement like UW does, which makes you wonder how "great of an institution it is" when it has the admission requirements of a Community College. See total dump like I said.

Why would someone specifically sign up for this dorm if they are going to drink and smoke pot all the time?

Peace.

Whats wrong with drinking? How can a person be Orthodox and not drink?

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 03:50:46 PM »

Also, Evergreen does not have a foreign language, mathematic, or science requirement like UW does, which makes you wonder how "great of an institution it is" when it has the admission requirements of a Community College.

The reason for this is that Evergreen allows the student to plan his own program.

Whats wrong with drinking? How can a person be Orthodox and not drink?

I meant to recreationally drink, something which I do not want around me at all in my living environment.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 03:56:16 PM »

The reason for this is that Evergreen allows the student to plan his own program.

And you think THIS is a good idea for someone fresh out of high school? You think they have the knowledge to know what type of skills are required to succeed in the "real" world?

Geez. Like throwing pearls before swine.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 03:56:26 PM »

I meant to recreationally drink, something which I do not want around me at all in my living environment.
Note to self..."M777 never invited over for dinner... the rest of you are... and bring a designated driver!!!"  Shocked

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 04:00:29 PM »

Geez. Like throwing pearls before swine.
Are we no longer quoting scripture? Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »

Note to self..."M777 never invited over for dinner... the rest of you are... and bring a designated driver!!!"  Shocked

Sweet.  Now where's the slivo?!?
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 04:27:38 PM »

No, you can't.  You can become trained for a certain field, certainly, but being educated is something far different.  A true education is comprehensive; it encompasses fields that the student won't necessarily deal with in his particular workplace.  An education that lets you discard mathematics and science entirely (along with their attendant logical rigor) isn't an education at all; it's nothing more than a glorified vocational program.

Justinian

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2006, 04:59:34 PM »

No true Orthodox Christian would sit back and take the nomination to be designated driver and lose out on the fun, this is why God made Taxi Companies. Cheesy

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2006, 06:39:41 PM »

No, you can't.  You can become trained for a certain field, certainly, but being educated is something far different.  A true education is comprehensive; it encompasses fields that the student won't necessarily deal with in his particular workplace.  An education that lets you discard mathematics and science entirely (along with their attendant logical rigor) isn't an education at all; it's nothing more than a glorified vocational program.

Completely concur.  There is so much "dumbing down" and PC crap in (what is considered "higher") education these days just because "math is hard" and we don't insult someone or actually struggle to learn something.
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2006, 10:01:03 PM »

Completely concur.  There is so much "dumbing down" and PC crap in (what is considered "higher") education these days just because "math is hard" and we don't insult someone or actually struggle to learn something.
The more slivo you have at my place, the harder math becomes!  Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2006, 02:20:05 AM »

An education that lets you discard mathematics and science entirely (along with their attendant logical rigor) isn't an education at all; it's nothing more than a glorified vocational program.

I have taken anthropology and geology, am currently in ecology and will probably take either astronomy or chemistry this summer. At Evergreen, I hope to continue taking science classes. But when it comes to math, I'm just not interested in what I cannot use.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2006, 02:21:26 AM »

No true Orthodox Christian would sit back and take the nomination to be designated driver and lose out on the fun, this is why God made Taxi Companies. Cheesy

Both sides of my family are alcoholic and alcoholism is a genetic condition. Your statement, to me, is entirely offensive and asinine.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2006, 02:26:04 AM »

And you think THIS is a good idea for someone fresh out of high school? You think they have the knowledge to know what type of skills are required to succeed in the "real" world?

"Many students ask "Do I really only take one class at Evergreen?"

The answer is yes. We call them programs.

Instead of taking several classes at once, at Evergreen you select an academic program where you will learn how to explore a central idea or theme that's interesting to you.

Faculty members from different subject areas teach in teams, each drawing on several disciplines to help you develop critical tools to navigate the real-world issues that we face today — issues like health care in the United States, the search for oil worldwide, or artistic expression across cultures.

Programs include lectures, labs, readings, seminars, field study, or research projects, and may last one, two or even three quarters, building on themes developed in previous quarters."
http://www.evergreen.edu/freshman/programs.htm

This is the available freshman programs:
http://www.evergreen.edu/freshman/core.htm

It's really not as scary as one would think.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: