OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 08:32:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A prayer for Dave Gilmour?  (Read 1196 times) Average Rating: 0
Kaminetz

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: April 07, 2006, 10:08:39 PM »

Well, maybe this is just ridiculous and forgive me if it is, as this prayer request isn't nearly as important as for the many Orthodox out there, but I figured why shouldn't I give it a go?

David Gilmour, the lead guitarist of Pink Floyd, said in his latest interview something to the extent of: "I'm an atheist. But I would prefer if I was of faith. In my early years I tried to force myself to believe but I just couldn't do it." He goes on to explain how he is terrified of his forthcoming mortality, how he is having such a hard time dealing with it even though he is not facing a deadly sickness of any kind right now. To me this shows that this man is in some way searching for God, he just doesn't know where to go. Too bad we can't tell him where!

I've always liked Dave Gilmour. He seems like a decently modest fellow in comparison with other rock musicians. His lyrics were never anti-Christian in my view (he hardly writes his own, btw). Maybe if we say a prayer for him you never know, he might just bump into Bp. Kallistos Ware  as both live in England Smiley There's no reason why a celebrity like him could not be affected by our prayers, and I'm sure there are many Orthodox who have enjoyed his music and been touched by it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 10:09:19 PM by Kaminetz » Logged
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 10:20:04 PM »

No surprise at all that he is frightened of death. (CF:  Words muttered in the background of one of the songs on Dark Side of the Moon:  "I am not frightened of dying.  Why should I be frightened of dying?"  Not to mention so many other Floyd lyrics that are so despairing of the emptiness to be found in modern life.)  I'm  I'm glad that he's so transparent about it, that's a very good sign about his honesty.  I've always found Pink Floyd way too negative to listen to for any length of time.  But I digress.  You are absolutely right.  You never know what prayer can accomplish.  Lord, have mercy.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 10:45:01 PM »

Lord have mercy.

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 11:06:08 PM »

Jarhad Barham!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 11:54:10 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 11:56:16 PM »

I will say a prayer for David Gilmour also.  I always thought the line from Breathe "...hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way. Time is gone, the song is over; thought I'd something more to say." very sad indeed.  Belief in God for some may seem logical but for others it is sooooo hard in world steeped in banality and tragedy.  However, we are not totally helpless in that we can cry out to the One who truly loves all mankind.  We need to give up the idea that we have all the answers and are the masters....and admit our weakness.  Ask and you shall receive!

Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on us.   ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  Juliana
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 12:21:33 AM »

Yes indeed.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 08:36:29 AM »

So many musicians have been raised either culturally cut off from Christianity or wounded by a very bad brand of it. Some have been rather like rebellious teenagers through their music. But others have engaged in intelligent music that speaks honestly from where they are in life spiritually.

May God awaken belief in them and, if not, may He judge them mercifully.

We each have our favorite musicians. Offering up a prayer for one of them from time to time is a good thing to do. They have blessed us, or at least touched us with thier music. We can bless them and hopefully touch them with the love of God through our prayers.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 04:06:11 PM »

Actually I like Pink Floyd. Kaminetz, great that you brought this issue up. When people need help, and when they are attempting to see the Truth, that is the case, when it is not so relevant are they Orthodox, or not (not yet). It is not ridiculous at all, it just shows that you have a strong faith indeed, Kaminetz. As Bob said:
You never know what prayer can accomplish.  
Juliana and Brother Aidan, very good comments as well. And other comments as "Lord, have mercy" are very good!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: