OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 12:00:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Gospel of Judas' to be published  (Read 1255 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: April 06, 2006, 09:33:58 AM »

'Gospel of Judas' to be published  

Should Christians be respecting Judas?
Judas Iscariot's reputation as one of the most notorious villains in history could be thrown into doubt with the release of an ancient text on Thursday.
The Gospel of Judas, a papyrus document from the 3rd or 4th Century AD, tells the story of Jesus' death from the fallen disciple's point of view.

Alleged to be a copy of an even older text, it casts Judas as a benevolent figure, helping Jesus to save mankind.

The early Christian Church denounced such teachings as heretical.

The 31-page fragile document, written in the Coptic language, was discovered in Egypt in the 1970s.

National Geographic Magazine in the US is to publish the first English translation of the text on Thursday.

Breakaway sect

For 2,000 years Christianity has portrayed Judas as the treacherous apostle who betrayed his divine master with a kiss, leading to his capture and crucifixion.

Gnostics believe Judas helped Jesus save mankind

According to the Bible, Judas received 30 pieces of silver for the act, but died soon afterwards.

But the Gospel of Judas puts Judas in a positive light, identifying him as Christ's favourite disciple and depicting his betrayal as the fulfilment of a divine mission to enable the crucifixion - and thus the foundation of Christianity - to take place.

This view is similar to that held by the Gnostics - members of a 2nd Century AD breakaway Christian sect, who became rivals to the early Church.

They thought that Judas was in fact the most enlightened of the apostles, acting in order that mankind might be redeemed by the death of Christ.

As such they regarded him as deserving gratitude and reverence.

Gnostic writers are believed to have set down their contrasting account of Judas' role in Greek in about 150AD, and some believe that this manuscript may be a copy of that.

Records show that the leaders of the early Christian Church denounced that version as heretical in about 180AD.

The Gospel of Judas was found near Beni Masar in Egypt.

In 2000, the Maecenas Foundation for Ancient Art in Basel Switzerland took possession of the document and translation began soon afterwards.

National Geographic struck a publication deal with the foundation last year, thought to have cost $1m (£570,000).

In addition to the magazine article, the National Geographic TV channel will be running a special two-hour documentary on the manuscript on Sunday 9 April.

================================================

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4882420.stm

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 11:32:17 AM »

I suppose the propogation of the gnostic gospels can be useful in helping to see the culture in which the Church grew, and the challenges it had to face; but as I've said it before, in these days this is a dangerous exercise, because to many people anything that gets published becomes gospel, especially if it runs counter to the establishment.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 12:27:54 PM »

Yeah, true. You will find self-proclaimed "scholars" begin to quote from it as authoritive and take it as a document to counter the real authentic writings authored by the Apostles. You will find another Dan Brown claiming that the fictional facts in his books are "accurate" based on such findings and then church haters, many of them in the Church, actually use such writings to fool the ignorant among the congregation. It is the time of apostacy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 12:46:55 PM by Stavro » Logged

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 01:21:31 PM »

They also seem to forget Romans 6:1-2

"What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?"

Not to mention the fact that if it was God's will to have Judas sin, it is not just Judas that is evil, but God. He cannot be sinless, then, and the crucifixion that is "brought on" has no meaning whatsoever. But I guess that is why they were condemned as heretics!

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 07:55:40 PM »

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 10:10:33 AM »

Folks, I locked this thread because there is an active discussion going on here.  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=8661.0

Please feel free to carry the conversation over to that thread.  Thanks.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: