OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 06:28:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer of St Ephraim  (Read 1115 times) Average Rating: 0
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: April 05, 2006, 12:22:46 AM »

Hello everyone.  I have only been a convert in the Orthodox Church now for 4 years, and am learning new and blessed things every day.  I have a question about the Prayer of St Ephraim which is said during Lent.

I was visiting a convent on the weekend, and on Monday morning's service the nuns fully prostrated themselves about three times, then did numerous half prostrations.  I assumed they were praying the prayer of St Ephraim.  Please excuse me for this basic question, but 1) are they doing the full prostrations when praying this prayer, 2) and how many prostrations do they do, 3) and how many half prostrations do they do, and 4) what are they praying when doing half prostrations?

I felt like a bit of a nut just standing there not quite knowing what to do, or what I was doing (as the prayers are in slavonic, and I don't understand much).

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate your answers and help.
In Christ!
QuoVadis

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 02:37:22 AM »

I was visiting a convent on the weekend, and on Monday morning's service the nuns fully prostrated themselves about three times, then did numerous half prostrations.  I assumed they were praying the prayer of St Ephraim.  Please excuse me for this basic question, but 1) are they doing the full prostrations when praying this prayer, 2) and how many prostrations do they do, 3) and how many half prostrations do they do, and 4) what are they praying when doing half prostrations?

Excellent questions you ask (as Yoda would say).

The practice prescribed for the Prayer of St. Ephraim is as such:

• Read the prayer once, making a full prostration after each section of the prayer for a total of 3.

The following two items are prescribed only for weekdays of Lent, not for Sunday Vespers.
  • Make 12 bows (half-prostrations), each time reciting this prayer: "O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me."
  • Read the prayer of St. Ephraim again, this time making only one prostration at the end.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 02:44:38 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 07:24:35 PM »

Ah ...  Smiley ... I understand!  Thank you for that explanation.  Next time, I won't look like a sore thumb sticking out!

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Tsarina

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Anastasia Royal-Martyr

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:38:25 AM »

Never feel like a nut. We're not born with the ability to just 'know', but to learn. I bet there are a lot of things that you know that we may not.

I'm also a new convert, and many things are new to be, and it's been a great blessing to be apart of all of these beautiful Orthodox teachings.

They're more things in our journey, let's be patient and prepared for them.  Smiley

God bless.

"Orthodoxy is life; one cannot talk about it, one must live it."

St. Nectary of Optina
Tags: prayer Lent 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: