OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:31:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Evil Eye  (Read 1490 times) Average Rating: 0
Intrigued Latin

Toronto, Canada

« on: April 04, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »

Dear Friends,

I thought that I would pose this question as I've had some discussions with my close Orthodox friends regarding the evil eye and mainly the blue talisman that the some faithful wear as a pin or pendant for protection.  

I have read reliable articles about Greek Orthodox priests going on television in Greece urging the faithful not to wear the blue eyed talisman.

In my opinion wearing the blue eye talisman is superstition at best, and dabbling in the occult and the evil one's world at worst.

As Christians we are to refrain from partaking in any folk 'formula' which is equally evil and sinful in the eyes of God.  Why would those faithful need to wear a blue eye for protection if they are observing the fast, making good confessions,  and praying including prostrations.  Above all wouldn't receiving the sacramentals (drinking holy water, receiving Holy Communion and Holy Unction) aid in this protection.

In my opinion, the  cross is defeat and protection against all evil.  Period.  

Superstitious occult practices and talismen are pagan in nature and are harmful to the souls of those who dabble in them.

There is difference between tradition and superstition.   I don't believe that a tradition is beneficial if it is superstitious.

How can I tell my friends that wearing this blue eye is wrong in the eyes of God and their own Church ?

In Christ,

Brad (Latin Catholic)

Christos Anesti,ÂÂ  Alithos Anesti
Christus resurrexit! Resurrexit vere!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 04:09:04 PM »

There is a prayer in the Euchologion (Trebnik for Slavs) that is to ward off the evil eye with God's blessings.  The evil eye is of course jealousy and demonic influence which can have a real effect on others.  At any rate, tell them that since there is a prayer that a priest can say to remove the influence of the evil eye, they should go to the Church and not resort to witchcraft which will simply make their sufferings worse (if there is indeed a real suffering).

Anastasios

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
annaspencer

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:12:25 PM »

Why do you need to tell them its so bad? If they do everything else right, they're not going to go to hell for having bad taste in acessories are they?
Do you remember the story about the guy with the plank in his eye trying to get the speck out of someone else's eye? Maybe you should look for the plank first, then tell them about the speck ...unless you don't have a plank, or a speck. I think everyone has a speck at least, and if you can't see it, there's probably a plank in the way!!! Lips Sealed
 Cheesy
Intrigued Latin

Toronto, Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 04:25:18 PM »

Yes, I see your point but are we not all called to teach and advise of the teaching of the Church (in this case the Greek Orthodox Church).  
The ironic thing is that two of my friends don't wear a cross, but they wear the talisman openly.

Christos Anesti,ÂÂ  Alithos Anesti
Christus resurrexit! Resurrexit vere!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 04:31:24 PM »

Why do you need to tell them its so bad? If they do everything else right, they're not going to go to hell for having bad taste in acessories are they?
Do you remember the story about the guy with the plank in his eye trying to get the speck out of someone else's eye? Maybe you should look for the plank first, then tell them about the speck ...unless you don't have a plank, or a speck. I think everyone has a speck at least, and if you can't see it, there's probably a plank in the way!!! Lips Sealed
 Cheesy

Anna,

This is not the same thing.  We are called to proclaim the truth sometimes in matters of faith.  Wearing the evil eye is not so much a sin as trusting in non-Orthodox things for our salvation, is as such an issue of faith, and it would be uncharitable not to point it out.  They are not fashion accessories but pagan symbols that reject trusting in Christ alone for our salvation.

If the person is aware of the Orthodox teaching and doesn't care, then I agree it would be better to leave them alone and pray for them and ourselves.

Anastasios

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
KostaNY

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:53:06 AM »

My mother used to wear one of these blue eyes. She actually wore one with her cross not knowing the true meaning of the pyramid eye. For a time I actually wanted one before I really knew about it though. Its all superstitious, but I'm sure a lot of people that get them are not actually aware of what they represent. So we should tell others about it and warn them of its pagan background. When I told my mother about it, right away she took it off and threw it away. I'm sure if you told someone who was wearing one and didn't know the true meaninig of it, they would be grateful you let them know. If they know and they still wear it, then thats there choice, just leave it at that. Peace.
Tags: evil eye 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: