OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 09:52:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hypostasis  (Read 820 times) Average Rating: 0
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« on: April 03, 2006, 11:23:53 PM »

Okay, here is a term that is really throwing me for a loop.  In much of my study of the Patristic fathers, I have been exposed to this word.  Now, I do understand its usage by the Cappadocian Fathers in relation to the Trinity and Christ.  However, when it is developed by later theologians, that's when I get confused.  In addition, when reading (and in lectures) of the Icon contraversty it has been suggested that humans themselves have a hypostasis and this is part of the reason that humans and saints can be depicted in icons.  Thus, for all philosphers (psedo or genuine), how exactly would you explain the Orthodox understanding of hypostasis?  Where does this line of thought extend to?  

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:12:22 AM »

In addition, when reading (and in lectures) of the Icon contraversty it has been suggested that humans themselves have a hypostasis and this is part of the reason that humans and saints can be depicted in icons.

Ofcourse humans have a hypostasis. In fact, any existing thing has a hypostasis. A hypostasis is simply a subsisting actualisation or realisation of abstract realities. For example, the human nature is simply an abstract reality which is peculiar by virtue of certain theoretical properties and attributes that we can assign to it in order to distinguish it from other natures, e.g. the divine. That abstract reality however can be realised in a specific being; the human natural reality is realised in the human being, and that realisation is the hypostasis of that human being.

I believe that it is the possession of personhood (rather than a hypostasis) which is peculiar to humans. A person is a "rational hypostasis"; a hypostasis with consciousness, will, intellect etc. I think this was a thing realised well before any Icon controversey however.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:13:13 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
dantxny
OC.net Mineshaft gap
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 09:48:38 AM »

I think this was a thing realised well before any Icon controversey however.
True, however, this is only when it came up for persons in my studies.   Cool

Anyways, let me chew on this for a sec and then respond.

"If you give the average Frenchman a choice between a reforming president who would plug the country's huge deficit and a good cheese, he would probably opt for the cheese." - Stephen Clarke
I think the French may be on to something here.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: