Author Topic: Lives of the Saints  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Psalti Boy

• High Elder
Lives of the Saints
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a weebsite or book(s) with a comprehensive and complete list of the lives of the saints?

Thanks,

P

Offline Arystarcus

• High Elder
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:22:02 PM by Arystarcus »

Offline The Wolf

Re: Lives of the Saints
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 05:53:41 PM »
Do the Eastern Orthodox have anything similar to Butlers, lives of the Father, Martyrs and other Saint?
Hamlet: 2. 2.Use every man after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?

Euripides: Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

Offline Timos

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 08:46:48 PM »
theres also abbamoses.com which is an EO lives of saints divided by month with some nice patristic articles.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 09:12:57 PM »
Do the Eastern Orthodox have anything similar to Butlers, lives of the Father, Martyrs and other Saint

Orthodoxy has quite a few such sets. The two most popular in English are probably the Prologue from Ochrid compiled by St. Nikolai of Serbia, which is published in four volumes and is about $100 (this is also available online in a number of places), and the Synaxarion (Lives of the Saints) which is in 6 or more volumes and is more complete, but usually runs  $250 or more. Then there are, of course, other books which deal with specific types of saints (e.g., fools for Christ, Greek Popes of Rome, married saints, etc.), and also multiple-volume sets dealing with various types of saints (e.g., Monastery Builders). The most complete online list of saints (it's just a list though, no information) that I am aware of can be found here.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 09:13:32 PM by Asteriktos »
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 10:20:23 PM »
I almost gave you a source that only exists in Serbian.  I'm officially too tired people!   ;D

There are several translations of the "synaxarion" that are out there.  It depends on what you like/want.  Did you have something specific in mind?  
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline Tsarina

• St. Anastasia Royal-Martyr
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 03:12:53 PM »
A book that you may want to look at is called, "Prologue of Ohrid" By: St. Nickolai Velimirovic.

This book comes in two volumes and has a great list of saints, stories about the lives of these saints, Hymns, Reflections and Homilies for every day of the year.
"Orthodoxy is life; one cannot talk about it, one must live it."

St. Nectary of Optina