OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 07:39:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally, some type of intelligence in Hollywood  (Read 1343 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: March 19, 2006, 06:56:15 PM »

"I'm pretty much for nonviolence," Portman says, "but I also understand the impossibility of nonviolence in a violent world. You can only be nonviolent when your neighbor is not violent. Otherwise you cease to exist, which becomes a sort of violence against yourself."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 01:07:25 AM »

"I'm pretty much for nonviolence," Portman says, "but I also understand the impossibility of nonviolence in a violent world. You can only be nonviolent when your neighbor is not violent. Otherwise you cease to exist, which becomes a sort of violence against yourself."

Which is why I'm not a pacifist...
czzham
...at work in the sonic Monastery...

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

...in pursuit of Divine Mystery...

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 04:00:21 AM »

I like the Portman quote. Who is/was he/she? What context was the quote taken from? This one's interesting... Cool!

Non-liturgical lyrics are wasted space between solos.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 08:22:45 AM »

Natalie Portman played Queen Amidala/Padme in the second star wars trio (I say second for reasons of my own. But that is a eparate debate!).
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 08:40:43 AM »

Wow.  I didn't know she had it in her!  Thanks for the post Tom.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 09:31:22 AM »

I thought she was an ultra-liberal pacifist? I do remember hearing one time that she was born in Israel though, so it might be the conflicts in that region that she had in mind?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:26:23 AM »

I thought she was an ultra-liberal pacifist? I do remember hearing one time that she was born in Israel though, so it might be the conflicts in that region that she had in mind?

Well, for all the negative things I can say about them, there is one positive thing that has to be said about the Jews, they know how to take care of things. None of this unnecessary diplomacy, sanctions, or prolonged discussion BS; they get in, do what needs to be done, and get out...if you get in their way you're screwed. I do believe the US could learn a thing or two about war, diplomacy, and foreign relations from Israel...as well as how to occupy a country, which we used to be good at but seem to have lost our edge, perhaps we should get advisors from Israel to tell us how to deal with the Iraqis.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 10:27:46 AM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 11:18:03 AM »

Yes, she was born in Jerusalem, an Israeli Citizen.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000204/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalie_Portman

Thanks, Hadel

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 04:53:05 PM »

I suspect that this quote is drawn from Ms. Portman's work in the new movie "V for Vendetta"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434409/

Britain is a totalitarian country. "V" is a masked man who was experimented on in a concentration camp and is dedicated to taking down the leaders and the government.  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
czzham
...at work in the sonic Monastery...

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

...in pursuit of Divine Mystery...

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 03:26:34 AM »

Well, for all the negative things I can say about them, there is one positive thing that has to be said about the Jews, they know how to take care of things. None of this unnecessary diplomacy, sanctions, or prolonged discussion BS; they get in, do what needs to be done, and get out...if you get in their way you're screwed. I do believe the US could learn a thing or two about war, diplomacy, and foreign relations from Israel...as well as how to occupy a country, which we used to be good at but seem to have lost our edge, perhaps we should get advisors from Israel to tell us how to deal with the Iraqis.

Sounds good to me! any suggestions as to getting it done? Wink

Non-liturgical lyrics are wasted space between solos.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: