OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:38:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Study of Fr. Bishoy Kamel by a Western Priest/Theologian  (Read 5297 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: April 01, 2006, 03:12:06 AM »

On the 21st of March, we commemorated the departure of the late and great Fr. Bishoy Kamel. Unfortunately due to time constraints, I have been unable to create an elaborate presentation on this Saint as I did with H.H. Pope St. Kyrillos VI (may Fr. Bishoy forgive me!), but I have decided to create a thread on him in any event, with many valuable resources on his life and person.

For my first of many intended posts in this thread, I would like to refer you all to a very valuable study undertaken by the Rev. Dr. John. H. Watson, titled The Transfigured Cross: A Study of Fr. Bishoy Kamel; it can be downloaded in pdf format here.

From the Editor's Preface:

The Coptic Orthodox Christian might ask the question, why has a Western priest and theologian expressed such an enthusiastic interest in a Coptic priest who spent most of his relatively short life of 47 years working in a parish church in Alexandria?

Readers of the Coptic Church Review in the last two decades will have seen and understood many varied contributions from the Revd. Dr. John Watson and will be aware of his other supplements to Coptic Studies. But he has said that his study of Abouna Bishoi Kamel was written to provide a comprehensive appreciation of what he sees as the most significant gift of modern Coptic life and thought to universal Christian spirituality. Fr. Watson has made three visits to the church of Mar Girgis in Sporting, in December 1989, April 1994 and May 2001, exclusively to study the life of Fr. Bishoi on the ground. In preparation for the CCR text he has recorded several taped interviews with Fr. Bishoi?s widow Tasouni Angel Bassili; numerous direct quotations from these recordings are an essential part of the published text.

In nine short chapters, the author has explored the significance of Abouna Bishoi Kamel?s continuing presence in Coptic Egypt. The longest sections of this study explore the Alexandrian priest?s authentic theologia crucis or Theology of the Cross, which the author sees as the key to Fr. Bishoi?s life. These sections also discuss Fr. Bishoi?s confrontation with cancer and record his historical analysis of a church election. Some Western Theology has focused upon an interpretation in which our knowledge of the Being of God is derived from the study of Christ in his humiliation and suffering. Fr. Watson finds an Orthodox resonance in the teaching of FatherBishoi. Four chapters offer shorter but careful surveys of the Coptic Orthodox priest?s biography,parochial ministry, marriage, theological study and publications. One condensed but perceptive section examines his relations with Islam and Muslims.

The conclusion of Fr. John Watson?s study is that the perfect mutual movement between confession of faith and life, which he finds in Abouna Bishoi Kamel, is evidence of such holiness as to define a saint.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 03:15:01 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:59:44 AM »

The Life of Hegomen Pishoy Kamel, by The Coptic Encyclopedia

Articles written by Fr. Bishoy Kamel:

With Christ in the Resurrection
by Hegomen Pishoy Kamel
What does it mean to live the Resurrection with Christ? Questions and answers on the Resurrection, its scriptural...

The Journey from Jerusalem to Golgotha
by Hegomen Pishoy Kamel
Our Church, inspired by the Holy Spirit, has compiled a marvelous plan for the Passion (Passover) Week, so we may get into...

The Church's Message to Society
by Hegomen Pishoy Kamel
The Church is not a community of gathered believers. Rather, it is individual believers who are members in the One Body of...

Serving Others
by Hegomen Pishoy Kamel
A few contemplations on service for a new start with God and as an aid in our spiritual lives.

How Do I Repent?
by Hegomen Pishoy Kamel
Repentance is the most significant sign of love. Every time the penitent person feels that, by his sins, he has grieved God...

The Dynamism of the Cross
by Hegomen Pishoy Kamel
Have you experienced the dynamism (literally, the vigorous, active energy) of the Cross in our lives? A meditation for the...

The Praises of Kiahk
by Hegomen Pishoy Kamel
The praise of Kiahk (also called "7 and 4") on the Eve of Sunday is the praise of every eve of Sunday all year,...

Journey through Lent with the Prophet Isaiah: Week Two
by Hegomen Pishoy Kamel
The study of the Book of Isaiah for the Second Week of the Great Lent.

God in the Life of Youth
by Hegomen Pishoy Kamel
In this inspirational article of short meditations, Fr. Pishoy reminds us how God's continuous presence in our lives will...

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
StBrigid

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 05:33:14 PM »

EA, thank you so much for posting this information!  I'm looking forward to going back and reading these articles and seeing what else you may have on Abouna Bishoy.
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 06:19:44 AM »

An excellent website dedicated to Fr. Bishoy Kamel (unfortunately, it's all arabic):
http://www.mallawi-demet.org/Arabic/abonabeshoy/

Audio:

Divine Liturgy by Fr. Bishoy Kamel may be downloaded from here:
http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Divine_Liturgies/Father_Bishoy_Kamel,_Liturgy_of_St._Basil.html

Audio Sermons (in Arabic):
http://www.stgeorge-sporting.org/audio/main.htm#frbishoy

Text:

The Journey of the Pure Apostles:
http://mycopticchurch.com/articles/read.asp?f=spiritual/FBKApostles.html

Online books (all are arabic except the very last):
http://www.stgeorge-sporting.org/books/frbishoy.htm

That's the best I can do thus far i'm afraid.

Addai

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 02:35:36 PM »

That's the best I can do thus far i'm afraid.

Thanks, I appreciate the info!

Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: