OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 11:42:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: first post  (Read 2271 times) Average Rating: 0
wayfarer

« on: April 01, 2006, 02:24:56 AM »

Greetings,

since this is my first post, I thought I'd make an introduction.

I am not a convert to Orthodoxy but ever since my first visit to a Vespers service (Ironically, it was the Saturday evening before the Sunday of the Blind man) I have had a strange gravitational pull to the Orthodox Church. The visit was preceeded by a series of inquirer's classes at another Orthodox congregation (which did not have Saturday Vespers at that time as they were a mission). It has been a couple of years since I last visited an Orthodox church but I find that Orthodoxy is always on the horizon of my thoughts in matters of faith.

I was raised in pentecostal churches and spent the better part of my 20s among the Baptists. I am currently a member of a continuing Anglican congregation that is on the low church, evangelical end of the spectrum (and belive it or not as much as I like our liturgy, WRO doesn't necesarilly interest me all that much). Admittedly, I am at a point where I am standing in the shallows on the west side of the Bosphorus - in just about ankle deep. An Orthodox friend has repeatedly told me that I am orthodox and just don't know it yet - maybe.

Look forward to interacting with you all.

Wayfarer.

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 07:15:08 AM »

Welcome Wayfarer! I look forward to reading your posts.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Kaminetz

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 11:37:38 AM »

Welcome,

I'm glad that instead of looking to the 'east' as in Zen, you're looking to the east as in 'Orthodoxy' Smiley

Vespers is actually a very interesting time to observe an Orthodox service. Much less crowded, more time to be in solitude, on the surface a more 'low key' service yet very mystical. I think I'm going to start suggesting people visit Vespers/All-Night Vigil more often to observe.
StBrigid

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 04:14:49 PM »

Welcome, Wayfarer!  I'm a convert to the Coptic church, and had a long, slow road myself, through Baptist, charismatic and Anglican churches.
Admittedly, I am at a point where I am standing in the shallows on the west side of the Bosphorus - in just about ankle deep. An Orthodox friend has repeatedly told me that I am orthodox and just don't know it yet - maybe.
What an interesting image!  As I was pondering conversion to Catholicism or Orthodoxy, I kept picturing myself as standing outside these beautiful churches and peering in, getting a whiff of incense or a waft of singing, but afraid to step through the door.  At that point I wasn't even in a Protestant church anymore, so I really was out on the doorstep.

Although, having lived in Istanbul, I'll tell you- standing even ankle deep in the real Bosphorus is no place to be.  Smiley
wayfarer

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:08:23 PM »

Welcome, Wayfarer!  I'm a convert to the Coptic church, and had a long, slow road myself, through Baptist, charismatic and Anglican churches.What an interesting image!  As I was pondering conversion to Catholicism or Orthodoxy, I kept picturing myself as standing outside these beautiful churches and peering in, getting a whiff of incense or a waft of singing, but afraid to step through the door.  At that point I wasn't even in a Protestant church anymore, so I really was out on the doorstep.

You and I have a similar background then!

Interesting thing about the incense, even the from the handful of times I've been able to visit, the smell of the incense lingers almost like a childhood memory of cookies in the oven - if you think about it long enough, you can almost smell it again.

I feel that I am a huge paradox. I am very much schooled in protestant (and specifically - Augustinian/Calvinist) doctrine and yet for some reason the Orthodox church doesn't seem all that strange or exotic. I love the fact that the services are sung beginning to end, that (at least where I've visited) there were no pews so it lacked the "going to the movies" feel as in the churches I grew up in.

Look forward to chatting with you folks!

Wayfarer
wayfarer

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 10:15:55 PM »

Welcome,

I'm glad that instead of looking to the 'east' as in Zen, you're looking to the east as in 'Orthodoxy' Smiley

Vespers is actually a very interesting time to observe an Orthodox service. Much less crowded, more time to be in solitude, on the surface a more 'low key' service yet very mystical. I think I'm going to start suggesting people visit Vespers/All-Night Vigil more often to observe.

uh-uh no Zen for me thank you. Spent a number of years in the martial arts so I am familiar with what eastern religions teach (though I never subscribed to them myself).

Vespers was indeed a great first service to visit for the very reasons you mentioned. I hope that time will permit me to visit again sometime.

Wayfarer
Kaminetz

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 12:44:59 PM »

uh-uh no Zen for me thank you. Spent a number of years in the martial arts so I am familiar with what eastern religions teach (though I never subscribed to them myself).

You'd be surprised how many people end up dabbling in it, it's outright scary. It's a common religion for people with a leftist world view, and its popular in the artistic community in particular. One of its great attributes for these people is the lack of a 'judgemental God', you pretty much make up the rules yourself.  
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 08:15:24 PM »

welcome!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
wayfarer

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 02:51:02 PM »

One of its great attributes for these people is the lack of a 'judgemental God', you pretty much make up the rules yourself. ÂÂ

Yup. Have run into lots of these folks. There used to be a group here locally that labeled themselves as "buddhist christians" which basically meant that they stripped Christ of his divinity and pulled him to the level of simply and enlightened human teacher.  Roll Eyes

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  Smiley

Wayfarer
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 04:30:40 PM »

Welcome, Wayfarer! I joined this forum a couple of months ago and I really love it!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: