OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:34:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of America? (Humor)  (Read 2144 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: March 28, 2003, 01:26:46 AM »

Imagine the possibilities, friends!

anastasios
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 01:27:27 AM by anastasios » Logged

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 03:48:33 AM »

Does the entrance to the Whitehouse face west?
Monkey

Recovering Protestant

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 10:18:43 AM »

Are you guys familiar with this poem by Berkeley? He was speaking of British culture, but we can borrow it.

America or The Muse's Refuge
A Prophecy

The Muse, disgusted at an Age and Clime,
Barren of every glorious Theme,
In distant Lands now waits a better Time,
Producing subjects worthy Fame:

In happy Climes, where from the genial Sun
And virgin Earth such Scenes ensue,
The Force of Art by Nature seems outdone,
And fancied Beauties by the true:

There shall be sung another golden Age,
The rise of Empire and of Arts,
The Good and Great inspiring epic Rage,
The wisest Heads and noblest Hearts.

Not such as Europe breeds in her decay;
Such as she bred when fresh and young,
When heav'nly Flame did animate her Clay,
By future Poets shall be sung.

Westward the Course of Empire takes its Way;
The four first Acts already past,
A fifth shall close the Drama with the Day;
Time's noblest Offspring is the last.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 10:54:46 AM »

Does the entrance to the Whitehouse face west?

The building is the US Capitol. It faces west, more or less towards the Mall.

Forgot to add that the White House faces North to Pennsylvania Avenue and South towards the Ellipse.

Ebor
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 01:54:22 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
uturn

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 10:59:44 AM »

anastasios

What could be more anti-thetical to Americanism than Orthodoxy?

America--for good or ill--is even more rooted in the Enlightenment and Hellenism than in Christianity, and that reality has never been more self-evident than it is today---2003.

Orthodoxy needs to concentrate on rebuilding its house in Russsia, a nation on the brink of self-destructing due to endemic abortion, HIV-AIDS infection, alcoholism, and domestic violence, among other serious social ills.

Don't waste your time on North America, where Orthodoxy remains a foreign and exotic religion transplanted on foreign soil; the religion of choice of ethnics and neurotic converts, who, in the 19th century, would have settled for 'theosophy,' or some other exotic and eastern spiritual adventure.

phzzt!

"It follows, therefore, that imagination is a power of the soul such that, by its very nature, it has no capacity for entering the realm of union with God."--Unseen Warfare.

"For this reason the holy fathers call the devil a painter...a br
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 11:21:22 AM »

anastasios

America--for good or ill--is even more rooted in the Enlightenment and Hellenism than in Christianity, and that reality has never been more self-evident than it is today---2003.

Orthodoxy needs to concentrate on rebuilding its house in Russsia, a nation on the brink of self-destructing due to endemic abortion, HIV-AIDS infection, alcoholism, and domestic violence, among other serious social ills.

Don't waste your time on North America, where Orthodoxy remains a foreign and exotic religion transplanted on foreign soil; the religion of choice of ethnics and neurotic converts, who, in the 19th century, would have settled for 'theosophy,' or some other exotic and eastern spiritual adventure.

phzzt!

Whoa man what a minute. Orthodoxy might remain a foreign and exotic religion on our soil, but that is only because we make it that way. Face it, the future of the world is based in America, not Russia, not Ukraine, not Greece, nor any part of the "Old Country." If Orthodoxy is to survive, it must seep its way into North American culture, or it may well just forever perish. The people who are responsible for this are us Americans.

I agree, there are many neurotic converts to Orthodoxy who have the slightest about what Orthodoxy even teaches. There are also the ethnic types that could care less about their own faith. Frankly, these types irritate me beyond all belief. I have a particular aversion to evangelical turned Orthodox types who exhibit extreme arrogant behavior. Nevertheless, we are all called to holiness and sacrifice.

Bobby
Oblio
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 11:21:39 AM »

How is this unique to Russia ?  Sounds like America to me !

Orthodoxy exists to spead true Christianity, through Christ, for the salvation of the world.

The rest of your response is trolling ...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 11:23:31 AM by Oblio » Logged
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 11:49:06 AM »

anastasios

phzzt!

Based on your comments, I would like to suggest then that the evangelical protestants stay out  of countries like Russia and other former communist states.  It is bad enough we have to put up evangelical charlatanism and histrionics in this country, we don't need to export Americanized self-serving christianity to the rest of the world.   The world does not need more people who think they are saved if they repeat some magical incantation.  We don't need more people believing that if they repeat the sinners prayer that all is well and they don't have to clean up  their act.  Russia does not need big evangelical churches that look more like a shopping mall than a place to worship God.  I agree with you, perhaps Orthodoxy is not for America, but let me tell you this, evangelical neo-gnostic clowns are not for Russia.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
uturn

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 12:31:02 PM »

How is this unique to Russia ?  Sounds like America to me !

Orthodoxy exists to spead true Christianity, through Christ, for the salvation of the world.

The rest of your response is trolling ...

Trolling? That's a good one.
You must be a convert.

Trolling? No! Just forty years of experience.

Ironically, Orthodoxy's 'future' is in the 'past': Orthodoxy in America will only comprise a small--but economically significant--part of world Orthodoxy, while American Orthodoxy will remain but an insignificant part of the American religious and cultural tapestry, exhibiting little--if any--political influence, compared to the minority juggernauts of Mormonism, or even Islam, for example.

The 'future' of Orthodoxy is in the East, certainly not the West.

"It follows, therefore, that imagination is a power of the soul such that, by its very nature, it has no capacity for entering the realm of union with God."--Unseen Warfare.

"For this reason the holy fathers call the devil a painter...a br
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 12:38:45 PM »

Uturn,

Please check your private messages at the upper right hand corner of the page.  Thank you.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2003, 02:03:12 PM »

Dear Friends:

Although Catholicism has become, and remains, the single largest organized Christian denomination in the U.S., the Protestants, as a group of independent ecclesial communities, constitute still the largest Christian constituent of contemporary America.

The fastest growing religious group is Islam, to which African-Americans are converting from their traditional protestant orientation. I think membership in Islam has just surpassed that of Orthodoxy as of the end of 2000.

So to me the humor lies in the impossibility of this dream, UNLESS Orthodoxy wakes up and takes the call to re-evangelize these "barbarian" lands.

AmdG

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2003, 02:35:43 PM »

Geez guys I was only joking around and I stir up trouble! But what a great discussion!

the East Roman (aka Byzantine) Empire was founded on paganism; if it could be transformed into an Orthodox culture, so can America.  We have to pray, fast, and get out in the streets and do the work of spreading the Gospel.

It may very well never happen that a majority of Americans turn Orthodox, but that is ok as long as we try to spread the Gospel and baptise America into Orthodoxy.

anastasios

PS Less than 8% of Greeks go to Church weekly, I am told.  How can there be a future for Orthodoxy there if that is the case?

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2003, 03:12:24 PM »

True.

Orthodoxy needs to concentrate on rebuilding its house in Russia, a nation on the brink of self-destructing due to endemic abortion, HIV-AIDS infection, alcoholism, and domestic violence, among other serious social ills.

See my posting 'The present in Russia' in this folder.

Not as sharply, I've written similar things. Eastern Orthodoxy probably always will be a minority religion in America.

Don't waste your time on North America sounds pretty antithetical to the gospel, though.

Of course there are neurotic converts but not all such are. And I don't think it's fair to lump them, neurotic and not, with the proto-New Agers of the late 1800s. ISTM most are conservative - not the exotica-chasing Shirley MacLaine faddish type at all.

the Protestants, as a group of independent ecclesial communities

Nothing personal, but that expression ecclesial communities (the Vatican adopting patronizing middle-class corporate talk) makes me gag. How about some good English such as groups, sects or denominations? The point is they're not Churches - but the Orthodox are.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 03:15:21 PM by Serge » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: