OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 03:35:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic man who attacked gay flatmate with hammer found guilty of attempted....  (Read 936 times) Average Rating: 0
Raylight
Moderated
OC.net guru

« on: September 09, 2014, 08:06:38 PM »

" A Catholic man who attacked his gay flatmate with a claw hammer while he slept has been found guilty of attempted murder, reports Press Association.
Joseph Williams, 21, was sentenced to 14 years in prison at the Old Bailey yesterday for the "life-altering" injuries he inflicted on Connor Huntley at the flat they shared in Margate, Kent in May last year. "

For more on this awful story...http://www.christiantoday.com/article/catholic.man.who.attacked.gay.flatmate.with.hammer.found.guilty.of.attempted.murder/40420.htm
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »

How is this Christian News?
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »

Sick.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 08:09:28 PM »

Lord have mercy. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »

His Catholicism doesn't seem to have anything to do with the crime.  Just another swipe for swiping's sake. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Raylight
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »

Lord Have Mercy.

This should be a warning to every homophobic person and every clergy man/woman who support and preach homophobia.

Just because you believe that homosexual acts are sinful, DOESN'T give you any right whatsoever to attack people and threat their safety.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »

Lord Have Mercy.

This should be a warning to every homophobic person and every clergy man/woman who support and preach homophobia.

Just because you believe that homosexual acts are sinful, DOESN'T give you any right whatsoever to attack people and threat their safety.
But, outside of the Westboro Baptist Church, who in the clergy is preaching homophobia? How do you even define homophobia?
Raylight
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:17:56 PM »

How is this Christian news you ask ?

The man who committed such awful crime is a Christian and the man who was attacked is a gay man. To me, that is a Christian news. If you feel it is not, then please report me or use your power to move the thread to whatever section you think this thread should be.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:20:49 PM by Raylight » Logged
Raylight
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »

His Catholicism doesn't seem to have anything to do with the crime.  Just another swipe for swiping's sake. 

He seem to have some mental issue, but who knows, maybe a homophobic priest took advantage of that and filled his head with all the homophobic nonsense. Nevertheless,  since the court sentenced this homophobic man to 14 years jail time, is enough to show that his mental issues didn't have that much of affect.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »

This is what happens when you undermine the monarchy of the father by asserting the eternal double procession of the Holy Spirit.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 08:59:19 PM »

His Catholicism doesn't seem to have anything to do with the crime.  Just another swipe for swiping's sake.  

He seem to have some mental issue, but who knows, maybe a homophobic priest took advantage of that and filled his head with all the homophobic nonsense.
That has the appearance of idle speculation that has no support in the article and bears no relevance to this discussion, as far as I can see. I don't think it's fair to the readers of this article to use it as a launching board for a personal crusade against the windmills of your imagination (that is, the preaching of homophobia in our churches). If we know that a priest is preaching homophobia--whatever you mean by that, which you still haven't defined in response to my informal request--then maybe we can address that when the fact is revealed to us.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:01:01 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Raylight
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 09:01:34 PM »

His Catholicism doesn't seem to have anything to do with the crime.  Just another swipe for swiping's sake.  

He seem to have some mental issue, but who knows, maybe a homophobic priest took advantage of that and filled his head with all the homophobic nonsense.
That has the appearance of idle speculation that has no support in the article and bears no relevance to this discussion, as far as I can see. I don't think it's fair to the readers of this article to use it as a launching board for a personal crusade against the windmills of your imagination (that is, the preaching of homophobia in our churches). If we know that a priest is preaching homophobia--whatever you mean by that, which you still haven't defined in response to my informal request--then maybe we can address that when the fact is revealed to us.

Have a nice day Peter.
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from reporting
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

Proverbs 31:13

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 09:02:37 PM »

The man who committed such awful crime is a Christian and the man who was attacked is a gay man. To me, that is a Christian news. If you feel it is not, then please report me or use your power to move the thread to whatever section you think this thread should be.

Most things in the news involve Christians, or people who are at least nominally Christian, but that doesn't make it "Christian news"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:02:48 PM by kelly » Logged

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Raylight
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »

Most things in the news involve Christians, or people who are at least nominally Christian, but that doesn't make it "Christian news"

Then please report me to the moderator if you see that what I did is a violation of the forum rules. Smiley
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »

Then please report me to the moderator if you see that what I did is a violation of the forum rules. Smiley

Neither kelly nor I alleged that you violated any forum rules, so please relax and stop with the defensive attitude. It only inflames this thread more than it already needs to be. Cool
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »

The thread needs a poll. Tongue

Anyway, did the attacker claim he was doing it in the name of Christ? That's far different from a nominal person committing a heinous act, right?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St. Macarius, the Spirit Bearer, Pray for Us!

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 09:45:42 PM »

This is what happens when you undermine the monarchy of the father by asserting the eternal double procession of the Holy Spirit.

I got a good chuckle out of that one haha!

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 09:49:58 PM »

He seem to have some mental issue, but who knows, maybe a homophobic priest took advantage of that and filled his head with all the homophobic nonsense. Nevertheless,  since the court sentenced this homophobic man to 14 years jail time, is enough to show that his mental issues didn't have that much of affect.

Do you have ANY evidence that such a thing happened?  If not, this is nothing more than mindless speculation and, as Mor said, a swipe for swipe's sake.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 10:56:32 PM »

We should be dating on the side.
Porter ODoran
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 01:54:00 AM »

For all you know, you could accurately reword this to say, "The man who committed such awful crime is a straight man and the man who was attacked is a Christian."

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 02:26:29 AM »

"After attacking Huntley, Williams called 999 to report the attack, and said his mental health had "deteriorated"....

Sounds like the guy needs psychiatric help.

Proverbs 22:7
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 02:37:41 AM »

Maybe, but tell me what sane person would attack his roommate with a hammer? I am sick of the stigmatization of the mentally ill via acts like this that are committed by people who are clearly unbalanced (because, again, this is not the act of a sane man), but who through their unwillingness to accept responsibility for their actions feed into the public's fear that mental illness is a precursor or a cause of violence. My best friend during my high school years was diagnosed with schizophrenia at the age of 16 because he had begun having auditory hallucinations, but he was never violent. Incoherent or difficult to reach sometimes, yes, which is plenty scary on its own, but I am very wary of this rush to find a mental defect to explain away what this man or many others like him have done. The Colorado theater shooter comes to mind, and perhaps even the "Twinkie defense" of yore...methinks this is why there is a legal distinction to be made between someone who is mentally unbalanced to the point of not being able to form premeditation on the one hand (so I could see this man getting some kind of reduced sentence on the grounds of reduced mental capacity at the time of the act), and someone who is actually mentally incapable of distinguishing right from wrong (or else every serial killer or other sick person could claim such an exemption from punishment).

Bottom line: The guy himself does not say that his religion motivated the attack, but does want to mitigate what he did with claims about his mental state. Fine. Clearly, he is a sick man. That said, I hope they throw the book at him, or as much of the book as UK law allows.

Porter ODoran
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 02:50:31 AM »

Dzheremi I've got to say, you have a point.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 05:33:43 AM »

I worry too. Two labels stick out in this dreadful story, 'mentally ill' and 'Catholic'. Professionally speaking those with mental illness are far more likely to be victims than perpetrators, yet Media reporting would have you believing the opposite. This not so much news reporting but propaganda in the guise of news reporting. And 'Catholic', what has that to do with ought. Like others, Catholics are sometimes victims and sometimes perpetrators. In this case does this have any more relevance than being left or right handed, short or tall, fat or thin, blue or brown eyed?

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »

LOL!!!  This made me laugh.

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
Misplaced Book
NO LONGER POSTING HERE

Jurisdiction: Constantinople

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 09:59:34 PM »

What is "homophobic nonsense?"
Maybe, but tell me what sane person would attack his roommate with a hammer? I am sick of the stigmatization of the mentally ill via acts like this that are committed by people who are clearly unbalanced (because, again, this is not the act of a sane man), but who through their unwillingness to accept responsibility for their actions feed into the public's fear that mental illness is a precursor or a cause of violence. My best friend during my high school years was diagnosed with schizophrenia at the age of 16 because he had begun having auditory hallucinations, but he was never violent. Incoherent or difficult to reach sometimes, yes, which is plenty scary on its own, but I am very wary of this rush to find a mental defect to explain away what this man or many others like him have done. The Colorado theater shooter comes to mind, and perhaps even the "Twinkie defense" of yore...methinks this is why there is a legal distinction to be made between someone who is mentally unbalanced to the point of not being able to form premeditation on the one hand (so I could see this man getting some kind of reduced sentence on the grounds of reduced mental capacity at the time of the act), and someone who is actually mentally incapable of distinguishing right from wrong (or else every serial killer or other sick person could claim such an exemption from punishment).

Bottom line: The guy himself does not say that his religion motivated the attack, but does want to mitigate what he did with claims about his mental state. Fine. Clearly, he is a sick man. That said, I hope they throw the book at him, or as much of the book as UK law allows.

Great Post.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 10:10:45 PM »

Lord Have Mercy.

But, outside of the Westboro Baptist Church, who in the clergy is preaching homophobia? How do you even define homophobia?

Are you kidding?  Once a week or so I read a story of one pastor or another (usually Baptist) saying something about how gays should be killed, or throne into pits, etc.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 10:14:13 PM »

Lord Have Mercy.

Are you kidding?  Once a week or so I read a story of one pastor or another (usually Baptist) saying something about how gays should be killed, or throne into pits, etc.
Once a week or so, I read a story about how the Roman Catholic Church is an "anti-gay organization" and Christianity is a bigot religion, so I guess their are plenty of wackos on both sides of the fence.

Raylight
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 11:00:10 PM »

Lord Have Mercy.

Are you kidding?  Once a week or so I read a story of one pastor or another (usually Baptist) saying something about how gays should be killed, or throne into pits, etc.

And here is an evidence to prove it...

They are trying to attack a bus with gay activists in it, and you can see Orthodox monks and priests among those who are attacking.

At least Westboro Baptist Church using words only, not going and trying to attack a bus or get a chair and throw it at people.

Nothing against Eastern Orthodoxy, but because some here claimed that only WBC are homophobic, I had to show them that is far from true.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:02:37 PM by Raylight » Logged
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 11:06:46 PM »

Oh dear, now a can of worms has been opened. I'm sure there will be many to discuss that incident, but it will not be me.

Misplaced Book
NO LONGER POSTING HERE

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »

Raylight,

I'd be interested in seeing where you got those pictures and the actual context of what is going on.   There were priests among the Ukraine Protesters, but they weren't there to throw molotov cocktails, but to bring Christ's peace to a volatile situation.   Why are they there?

A.)  To do violence
B.)  To peacefully protest what they view as encroachment of Western Immorality (they wouldn't be totally wrong either)
C.) To be a force for calm in the midst of a potentially violent situation

If it is A, than of course that is wrong and you should know better and know that isn't what the Church is about.    If B or C, than I don't see a problem here.

A picture isn't always worth a thousand words.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:08:32 PM by Misplaced Book » Logged
Raylight
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 11:09:46 PM »

Thousands of anti-gay protesters riot in Georgia: Chaos on streets as Orthodox priests join march and threaten to lash gay pride activists with NETTLES

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2326215/Thousands-anti-gay-protesters-riot-Georgia-Chaos-streets-Orthodox-priests-join-march-threaten-lash-gay-pride-activists-NETTLES.html

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 11:11:24 PM »

Lord Have Mercy.

Are you kidding?  Once a week or so I read a story of one pastor or another (usually Baptist) saying something about how gays should be killed, or throne into pits, etc.

And here is an evidence to prove it...

They are trying to attack a bus with gay activists in it, and you can see Orthodox monks and priests among those who are attacking.

At least Westboro Baptist Church using words only, not going and trying to attack a bus or get a chair and throw it at people.

Nothing against Eastern Orthodoxy, but because some here claimed that only WBC are homophobic, I had to show them that is far from true.
Except that no one claimed that only the Westboro Baptist Church is homophobic. You seem to think that the majority of the clergy in the Orthodox Church are preaching homophobia, so I wanted you to prove it. One isolated case doesn't prove it.
Misplaced Book
NO LONGER POSTING HERE

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 12:08:46 AM »

Except that no one claimed that only the Westboro Baptist Church is homophobic. You seem to think that the majority of the clergy in the Orthodox Church are preaching homophobia, so I wanted you to prove it. One isolated case doesn't prove it.

Indeed.

Violence is deplorable, no matter who is doing it.   Violence is not the answer to the agenda of Homosexual activists.   The Gospel is the answer.

What is your agenda, Raylight?   Your inner Spiritual conflict has messily played out on this board, and people have been trying to help you.   

What are you trying to accomplish?
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 12:57:53 AM »

I want a vest like that.  Georgian has such a lovely alphabet. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 01:18:19 AM »

It's pretty, alright...but what most people don't realize is that there are at least 37 consonants on the back of that vest alone.

DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 02:01:39 AM »

You -really- want to walk around in a vest that says POLICE on it?

you could at least try for something slightly better, like 'King of the Universe'
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 02:08:31 AM »

You -really- want to walk around in a vest that says POLICE on it?

you could at least try for something slightly better, like 'King of the Universe'

მეფე სამყაროს

Gonna need a bigger vest...

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: