OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:49:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If Peter Married Why Can't Bishops  (Read 2037 times) Average Rating: 0
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: February 17, 2008, 08:15:22 AM »

I was reading this book on Orthodox Christianity and in it, it was saying the Peter was Married, therefore this is a proof that priest can marry, if Bishop succeeded Peter in leadership, why can't they marry???
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 04:26:22 PM by Irenaeus07 » Logged
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 08:20:26 AM »

There is no theological impediment to having a married bishop; the prohibition is practical and was instituted to prevent bishops from appropriating Church property for their heirs.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Symeon
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

Radovan Karadzic - Serbian Hero

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 09:11:22 AM »

There is no theological impediment to having a married bishop; the prohibition is practical and was instituted to prevent bishops from appropriating Church property for their heirs.

Interesting. I haven't heard that explanation before. Do you have a source?
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »

I've read it a couple of different places that I don't remember in particular, but I do recall my previous priest specifically saying that in response to a question in catechism (regarding why we have married priests but not married bishops).  It makes sense on its face, however, as it was the same reason why Rome mandated celibacy for bishops and priests alike.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 07:49:48 PM »

I don't have the time now, but there is quite a bit on this (the law codes deal with it for instance). I believe Trullo makes some reference to what was going on in Armenia, where large estates were being handed down.  And on the opposite end, in the Celtic Church there were rules about monestaries etc. passing down through heirs, and if a worthy heir wasn't available, it passed in another family as a trust until an able heir was produced.

Of course, they got around it, and produced nepotism.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 08:15:02 PM »

I believe Trullo makes some reference to what was going on in Armenia, where large estates were being handed down. 

I thought it was Nicea that condemned the hereditary priesthood which existed among the Armenians.  But I could be wrong.

With regard to the Armenians, after King Drtad converted to Christianity and declared his kingdom to be Christian, St. Gregory found he had great opposition from the pagan priests ("moks.")  The moks had a hereditary priesthood and they didn't want to lose that, for the sake of their sons.  So St. Gregory made the Christian priesthood in Armenia hereditary.  In fact, the seminary he established was for the sons of the moks.  With this move, he succeeded in converting most, if not all, of the moks.  With the conversion of the moks, the conversion of the rest of the country was much easier.

The establishment of a hereditary priesthood in Armenia, however, scandalized Church leaders in other parts of the world, and I think it was condemned at Nicea.  Of course what they didn't realize was that this was done to facilitate the conversion of Armenia, and it worked. 

I'm not sure exactly how long this lasted, but I think St. Sahag (early 400's) was the last Catholicos to be descended from St. Gregory.  The concept of a hereditary priesthood probably fell out of use soon after that.

I was told by my priest, in fact, that the reason celibacy for bishops was eventually adopted by the Armenians was to put an end to the hereditary passing down of the office.  So that would support what was said above.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 01:45:22 AM »

I don't have the time now, but there is quite a bit on this (the law codes deal with it for instance). I believe Trullo makes some reference to what was going on in Armenia, where large estates were being handed down.  And on the opposite end, in the Celtic Church there were rules about monestaries etc. passing down through heirs, and if a worthy heir wasn't available, it passed in another family as a trust until an able heir was produced.

Of course, they got around it, and produced nepotism.

In Trullo, I read something perplexing.  I don't think it had anything to do with Armenia, but it was a very strange canon.  It was regarding those priests who had wives and was being considered for the episcopacy.  If a married priest was to be ordained a bishop, he has to be separated from his wife and his wife must enter a convent for the rest of their lives.  I thought to myself, "My God, that sounds harsh."

But ya, in my search for canons.  I found this to be the closest reason to probably an eventually evolved celibacy in episcopacy.  Now this gives reasons for EO's, but I can't find anything on OO's (with obviously the limited resources I have).

God bless.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 01:46:13 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 01:21:37 PM »

About a year ago, this question was posed to our bishop when he visited our parish.  He replied that one reason why bishops aren't married anymore has to do with the iconoclastic controversy. If an iconoclasitic leader wanted to impose his will on the people, he went after the bishops, because whatever the bishop says, the people are going to be influenced to listen to him.  For example, the iconoclasts would tell the married bishop, "We've captured your wife and kids.  Unless you preach to your people that icons are bad, we're going to kill your family."  So because of this, bishops were chosen from the celibate ranks, to prevent them from being influenced to preach heresy when their families were threatened.  A celibate bishop seems to have less to be threatened with than one who has a family.

Granted, this answer was posed to a group of children, so it may be a bit simplistic in its rendering, and of course, there were other factors, such as the one about preventing bishops to passing on property/titles to their sons. 

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 01:26:18 PM »

How very interesting!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 02:16:25 PM »

About a year ago, this question was posed to our bishop when he visited our parish.  He replied that one reason why bishops aren't married anymore has to do with the iconoclastic controversy. If an iconoclasitic leader wanted to impose his will on the people, he went after the bishops, because whatever the bishop says, the people are going to be influenced to listen to him.  For example, the iconoclasts would tell the married bishop, "We've captured your wife and kids.  Unless you preach to your people that icons are bad, we're going to kill your family."  So because of this, bishops were chosen from the celibate ranks, to prevent them from being influenced to preach heresy when their families were threatened.  A celibate bishop seems to have less to be threatened with than one who has a family.

Granted, this answer was posed to a group of children, so it may be a bit simplistic in its rendering, and of course, there were other factors, such as the one about preventing bishops to passing on property/titles to their sons. 

If this is true, it is very, very sad. From what I have read, it seems in many cases the essense of true Christianity was sadly lost. Why would a true Christian threaten to kill someone, merely because they didn't agree with him?  Shocked That seems the antithesis of the Gospel message.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:17:45 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »

Well, the sin of the iconoclasts who threatened these bishops stem from their heresy.  Heresy always brings division and sin, never union and righteousness.

May God have mercy on us through the prayers of those hierarchs who chose to give their lives for their flocks rather than have them consumed by wolves.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 11:00:53 PM »

Well, I think there's a more complicated answer.  It just seems to have evolved that way.  So I agree that the answer is a bit more simplistic, but then again I don't know.  The question of episcopal celibacy to me is most perplexing not just because of how hard it is to find an answer, but because it stretched out to those churches that were not in communion with one another.  EO's, OO's, and Assyrians don't have married bishops (I think Assyrians don't).  We can leave out the Latins since we can pinpoint an official canon for them that not only enforces episcopal celibacy, but also priestly celibacy.

Every answer I find doesn't seem to be satisfactory.  It seems to me episcopal celibacy was simply an "endangered species" for quite a while, and then became completely extinct.

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Mr True Orthodox
Banned

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 12:30:25 PM »

Merged into existing thread - Cleveland, GM
Hello.names Jon, I have been asked to post is web site to you by a Good friend of mine, Have a nice day

http://www.stmaryorthodoxchurch.org/orthodoxy/articles/2007-01-26-marriedbishops.php
 This is the same IP as Fr Alexander. Duplicate accounts are not allowed. If you are not the same person as Fr Alexander but are just using his computer, you will need to contact me privately by private message.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:08:23 PM by cleveland » Logged
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 04:44:40 PM »

Just out of curiosity, would this count as "trolling?"  Smiley

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Tags: marriage bishops celibacy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: