OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 08:33:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Spiritual/Liturgical Hymns in English (relevant to Pascha Week)  (Read 4040 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: March 21, 2006, 09:02:16 AM »

I am creating this thread as a reference thread for those interested in listening to spiritual songs or liturgical hymns of the Coptic Church relevant to Pascha Week, in the english language. I am currently working with Deacons from my Church to record most of the popular one's in english (e.g. Thok Te Ti Gom ("To You is the Power"), Golgotha, the 6th Hour Psalm & Gospel etc.), and should hopefully be able to upload them one by one, hopefully starting this week, but if not, then next week. For now I leave you all with the famous spiritual song known as Wa Habibi ("O Beloved"):
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 09:30:49 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 09:02:39 AM »

Audio (download):

http://www.copticheritage.org/parameters/copticheritage/spiritual_songs/Obeloved.mp3 (right click and press save target as)

Lyrics:

O Beloved, O Beloved,
Nailed unto the Cross for me.
O what sin hast Thou committed?
Thou Who calleth all to be.
O Beloved, wish that I could,
Spend the rest of life with Thee,
Worshipping Thine holy Passion,
Crucifying the flesh for Thee.

Daughter of Zion behold me,
Stricken and smitten for thee.
Friend and kin, me have forsaken,
There is none to comfort me.
All alone I’ll tread the winepress,
All alone I’ll drink the cup,
Shedding my Blood for thee to ransom,
And my Flesh for thee to sup.

I was bound, and I was smitten,
And they did spit in my face.
I was stripped, and I was scoured,
I was condemned in your place.
Your sins became my crown of thorns,
O that you would understand,
Every time you sin a new,
It’s one more nail in My hand.

Like a lamb brought to the slaughter,
Like a dumb sheep to be sheered.
King, Creator, Lord and Master,
By His creatures, mocked and jeered.
Despised, rejected, with grief acquainted,
And of men was not esteemed.
Bruised, and wounded, sore afflicted,
Yet with His stripes we were healed.

Lord create in us a fountain,
That with tears will ever flow.
And a heart contrite and broken,
And the Spirit within renew.
O that we could shed the tears,
Over Thy feet pierced and bruised.
O that we could always remember,
For our sins Thou wert abused.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 09:03:15 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 07:07:48 AM »

The Holy Great Lent
February 27 - April 14
The Prayer of the Sixth Hour CD

As we are approaching the Holy Week of Pascha, St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church of Washington, DC is proud to present its latest CD, The Prayer of the Sixth Hour of the Agpeya. The sixth hour commemorates the crucifixion of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. At this hour of the day, the nails were hammered into His hands and feet and He tasted the vinegar and myrrh. There is no better time to contemplate on the cross of our Lord than now. This CD is chanted in English and also includes some Holy Week hymns and for the first-time ever a recording of “Fai etafenf” in English. To hear a sample of a few tracks from the CD, please click here. This item can be purchased at this price for a limited time only.

https://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/product.details.aspx?ProductID=1833

« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 07:13:18 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 02:40:25 PM »

Interesting "O Beloved" I learned that song in catholic school and its originally a French Catholic meoldy but we learned the text of "God of mercy and Compassion".
You can find a midi music of it and the words here:
http://romaaeterna.web.infoseek.co.jp/romanhmn/rh216.html
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 04:42:17 PM »

Interesting. It may have had something to do with the early French occupation of Egypt. Nonetheless I believe that our Church is at least responsible for the lyrics. I should also make the point that 'O Beloved' is not a liturgical hymn; it's just a very popular spiritual song that the Church has simply become accustomed to singing every Good Friday, since God knows how long.

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 09:29:11 AM »

Unfortunately, due to time constraints, I was unable to record the head cantor of our parish as I had planned to, so we have decided to postpone the job for next year in order that it may be done as professionally and properly as possible for release before Palm Sunday.

I don't have much compensation to offer, except for the following two english Pascha chants. The first is a recording of myself, poorly attempting the first hour Gospel of Tuesday Eve, and the second is the Judas Betrayal hymn as recorded by St. Verena's Coptic parish in the States.

1) 1st Hour Gospel of Tuesday Eve:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W6T4KMLY

2) Judas Betrayal Hymn:
http://www.saintverena.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Audio&file=index&q=f&f=%2F19+-+Holy+Pascha%2FThe+Holy+Week+of+Pascha+CD+-+Saint+Verena+-+Anaheim

Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 10:17:22 AM »

Thanks for providing these treasures.

I have many Coptic chants on cd. I buy them whenever I see them English, Arabic or Coptic it does not matter to me they are all treasures of Orthodoxy and can be appreciated be anyone who loves the Orthodox life.

For the first time in my life I spent Holy Week with the Coptic Church near my home (St. MIna). I spent all the Sundays of the fast with a Coptic parish in the past as well as this year but never Holy Week since I am so acustomed to my home church traditions (Ethiopian). But I wanted to do it this year.

It was a blessing.

I am learning to read Coptic now.

Please let me know where I can get Coptic Chants in English (Coptic as well).

Christ Has Risen!!!

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 08:18:03 AM »

For the first time in my life I spent Holy Week with the Coptic Church near my home (St. MIna). I spent all the Sundays of the fast with a Coptic parish in the past as well as this year but never Holy Week since I am so acustomed to my home church traditions (Ethiopian). But I wanted to do it this year.

It was a blessing.

I'm glad you had a blessed Pascha at the COC Smiley. I plan to broaden my Orthodox experience by visiting any existing local Ethiopian, Syrian, Armenian, or Indian Orthodox churches when I get the chance. I promised myself I would get around to it sometime this year, but unfortunately procrastinating is a hobby of mine. Would you happen to know of any Ethiopian Orthodox churches in Sydney, Australia?

I am learning to read Coptic now.

Nice! If you want any learning material PM me. I have quite a few great (and free) online books and programs bookmarked. ÂÂ

Please let me know where I can get Coptic Chants in English (Coptic as well).

As for great English recordings, unfortunately, I don't believe they exist as of yet. There are a few deacons at my parish with incredible voices, and I had planned to professionally record them chanting the Pascha hymns in english before this year's Pascha week, but we had organisational and timing issues (and unfortunately, an issue with one deacon who was very reluctant about chanting any Pascha hymn in english). However, God willing, by the start of Pascha next year, a CD should be produced. For now, I recommend anything produced by St Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church in Washington D.C. - they're the probably the best english recordings we've got as of yet. You can find there CD's here:

https://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/products.aspx?genreid=7&subgenre=27

Note, not all the CD's at the above link are english recordings from St Mark's in D.C. Each CD has product details however which outline the language the recordings are in, and who they are produced by.

Note also that some of the CD's above which contain hymns chanted strictly in Coptic, are in fact available online for free. For example, you will find many CD's at the above link by Ibrahim Ayad. He is the head deacon of St Mark's Cathedral in Cairo (where the Patriatrch resides). You can find all his recorded Resurrection hymns here:

Part 1: Resurrection Hymns for Matins.
Part 2: Resurrection Hymns for the Liturgy.

Part 3: Resurrection Hymns for Vespers.

Christ Has Risen!!!

Indeed, He is Risen!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 08:19:38 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

Tags: music Orthodox Music Oriental Orthodox Music Coptic music Pascha Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: