OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 02:10:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox victims of 9/11  (Read 1949 times) Average Rating: 0
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« on: March 21, 2006, 01:20:53 AM »

Does anyone know if there is a list of the names of Orthodox Christians anywhere who died on 9/11?  I thought it would be appropriate to remember them on Saturday of Souls and on the anniversary of the attack.
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 11:40:02 PM »

try contacting the GOA headquarters.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 11:53:23 PM »

try contacting the GOA headquarters.

I did about a year and a half ago and they had nothing.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 12:03:54 AM »

maybe offer
remember, O Lord, those who have departed this life, all Orthodox Christians who died in the multiple terrorist attacks on 9-11, along with all who died in the hope of the resurrection in the multiple terrorist attacks
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 12:04:35 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 12:07:55 AM »

In 2001, I believe all parishes in the GOA were instructed to have a 40-day memorial for the 9/11 victims, and the Orthodox names were read aloud in this service.

Hopefully a parish priest would have the record of this memo. If not, try to PM me; I recently was visiting a Manhatten parish and the community hall had been named for one of their parishioners, who was a victim of the attack. Possibly the priestthere may be able to help you with this.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 12:08:26 AM by chris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 01:19:09 AM »

Psalti, I apologize if that is not appropriate to come up just with one name here. But would you please include Alan in this list. He worked at WTC and was a parishioner of OCA. Young professional, early 30's, father of (2) kids. I did not know him personally, but I heard very nice things about him.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 01:25:29 AM »

Psalti, I apologize if that is not appropriate to come up just with one name here. But would you please include Alan in this list. He worked at WTC and was a parishioner of OCA. Young professional, early 30's, father of (2) kids. I did not know him personally, but I heard very nice things about him.

Yes I will.  If you have his last name, please PM it to me.  I may set up a memorial website for them.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 01:43:42 AM »

Yes, I just did so. The memorial web site is a wonderful idea. Thank you.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 01:47:49 AM »

I just emailed the GOA inquiring about a list.
nikolaos

Macedonia birthplace of Greek civilization

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 03:02:13 AM »

Creating a memorial webside for the orthodox victims of 11/8 is a very nice thought Smiley!.Although i am not American citizen from what i have heard from TV reports Archbishop Demetrius and several other priests from GOA have repeatedly refeared to the GOA victims of 11/8 which indicates that probably must have some catalogue at least for these victims that were members of some GOA parish.Presumably  the other jurisdictions must have similar information.In any case it is a wonderful idea.My warmest congratulations
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 11:09:03 AM »

Creating a memorial webside for the orthodox victims of 11/8 is a very nice thought Smiley!.Although i am not American citizen from what i have heard from TV reports Archbishop Demetrius and several other priests from GOA have repeatedly refeared to the GOA victims of 11/8 which indicates that probably must have some catalogue at least for these victims that were members of some GOA parish.Presumably  the other jurisdictions must have similar information.In any case it is a wonderful idea.My warmest congratulations

11/8??   Something else terrible happen on November 8 that I forgot about??

I went to GOA only they seem to always take the lead on major Orthodox events, as well as their leadership role in SCOBA.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 11:47:58 AM »

9/11
11/8
oh no another calendar debate!
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 11:59:15 AM »

9/11
11/8
oh no another calendar debate!
Maybe he meant 11/9 and (logically) switched the month and day, as Europe does (and other countries?).  Having day/month/year makes more sense anyways, as the scope is going in a logical progression.  We're just used to month/day/year.
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »

Maybe he meant 11/9 and (logically) switched the month and day, as Europe does (and other countries?).  Having day/month/year makes more sense anyways, as the scope is going in a logical progression.  We're just used to month/day/year.

Yeah, you're probably right.

I was worried that my memory was going faster than I knew it was.

nikolaos

Macedonia birthplace of Greek civilization

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 01:51:36 AM »

11/8??   Something else terrible happen on November 8 that I forgot about??

I am really sorry i was meant 9/11! Lips Sealed! I hope that i did not cause any major problem.  Smiley
I am not a native English speaker and i do verbal mistakes very often but to be perfectly honest i do the same mistakes in Greek as well Cheesy.
 i would like to apologize myself for any mess that i caused and my deep gratitude for those who tryed  to interpret my baffled mind Grin.I hope that my minor mistake will not trigger an other calendar debate. Grin
  In any case the idea to create a wedside for the victims of 9/11 is wonderfull  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 01:53:51 AM by nikolaos » Logged
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 06:06:22 AM »

I am really sorry i was meant 9/11! Lips Sealed! I hope that i did not cause any major problem.  Smiley
I am not a native English speaker and i do verbal mistakes very often but to be perfectly honest i do the same mistakes in Greek as well Cheesy.
 i would like to apologize myself for any mess that i caused and my deep gratitude for those who tryed ÂÂ to interpret my baffled mind Grin.I hope that my minor mistake will not trigger an other calendar debate. Grin
 ÃƒÆ’‚ In any case the idea to create a wedside for the victims of 9/11 is wonderfull  Smiley

You didn't cause any problem.  I just found an opportunity to poke fun at my own shortcoming . . . the absence of of the good memory that I once had.  Aahhh, it's wonderful getting old.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 09:16:31 AM »

likewise, I was poking fun at us all, collectively, as Orthodox, saying oh no another calendar debate. I certainly wasn't poking fun at you.
God bless you and grant you many years!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 09:17:45 AM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: