OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 12:57:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 666  (Read 2259 times) Average Rating: 0
Hypo-Ortho
« on: March 25, 2003, 06:50:49 PM »

I just noticed that my brother, Patriarch Serge, and I have just tied with 666 posts each.  666.  Hmmm.  I hope that doesn't mean that we're both marked with the sign of the Beast!!!!  Roll Eyes

Hypo-Ortho
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 07:00:27 PM »

I just noticed that my brother, Patriarch Serge, and I have just tied with 666 posts each.  666.  Hmmm.  I hope that doesn't mean that we're both marked with the sign of the Beast!!!!  Roll Eyes

Hypo-Ortho

I would not worry about it. I think sometimes Christians can become to obsessed with things such as these at the cost of others such as loving their neighbor as themself.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 07:14:45 PM »

Hypo-Ortho

I would not worry about it. I think sometimes Christians can become to obsessed with things such as these at the cost of others such as loving their neighbor as themself.

This was supposed to be a JOKE, Sinjin!!!  I don't subscribe to the "666" literal nonsense, as I think the JW's do.

Hypo-Ortho
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 07:38:25 PM »

I know it was a joke. I did not mean to specifically direct my comments toward you. I was just remarking how some take it too literally.

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2003, 10:23:23 AM »

I don't think Hypo is joking so much as padding his post count with this thread.

Cheers!

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 11:38:17 AM »

Isn't that clipart inappropriate for Lent?

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 11:44:17 AM »

No, its A&W root beer Sinjin!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 12:42:11 PM »

My priest told me that beer is generally not forbidden during Lent in the Slavic Churches since for many centuries beer was the only drink that was safe to drink! (the local water being oftentimes polluted!)

anastasios
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 12:42:40 PM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 01:43:01 PM »

I don't think Hypo is joking so much as padding his post count with this thread.

Cheers!

Oh, you got me, David!  Grin

Hypo-Ortho
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 02:54:34 PM »

My priest told me that beer is generally not forbidden during Lent in the Slavic Churches since for many centuries beer was the only drink that was safe to drink! (the local water being oftentimes polluted!)

anastasios

I think it basically depends on your priest/spiritual father.  I know two very well who would disagree with each other.  Moderation in all things (except maybe praying, going to church).
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 08:11:38 PM »

Here is an article that helps to make the point I was trying to make.

'Devil's Highway' may be renamed, ending U.S. 666
Associated Press
Mar. 25, 2003 07:45 AM

SANTA FE - New Mexico, Colorado and Utah agree that U.S. 666 should be renamed, New Mexico highway officials announced Monday.

Utah and Colorado joined New Mexico in submitting applications to the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials to change the highway to U.S. 393, according to the New Mexico Highway and Transportation Department.

Gov. Bill Richardson said he wants to fix the highway, as well as the name.

The number has satanic connotations - 666 is the "number of the beast," or Antichrist, in the Bible - and the road is sometimes referred to as the "devil's highway."

"I am very pleased that our friends to the north agree with us that the name change is essential," Richardson said.

The 190-mile highway starts near Gallup, runs through southwestern Colorado and ends in Monticello, Utah.

The association is expected to act on the applications in May or June.

American Indians in northwestern New Mexico have long supported the change because of the satanic connotations, state Rep. Ray Begaye, D-Shiprock, said earlier this year.

In the recent legislative session, Begaye introduced a resolution, which passed both houses unanimously, to change the name of the road to honor state Sen. John Pinto, D-Tohatchi.

According to that resolution, "there are people who refuse to travel the road, not because of the issue of safety, but because of the fear that the devil controls events along (U.S.) 666."

The highway department announced in January it would spend $7.5 million to design improvements to U.S. 666.

Richardson said he would like to expand the two-lane highway to four lanes.

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2003, 01:23:16 PM »

Is an exorcism in the works as well?
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2003, 11:32:50 PM »

I remember years ago as a Protestant teenager I was making a purchase in a "Christian" (i.e., Protestant) bookstore.

As the young girl behind the somewhat old-fashioned cash register rang up the purchase, first one "6" and then another popped up. She gasped until the final digit appeared, and it was a "5."

The girl breathed a sigh of relief and said, "Oh, my! I was afraid it was going to be 666!"

Even then I found the whole incident preposterous.

I firmly believe that if that third digit had been a "6," that girl would have been convinced that I was the Antichrist.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2003, 11:37:35 PM »

I firmly believe that if that third digit had been a "6," that girl would have been convinced that I was the Antichrist.

The people at the ChristianBBS probably think you are.   Cool

(But I don't!)

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2003, 12:01:12 AM »

From Mor Ephrem:
The people at the ChristianBBS probably think you are.  

(But I don't!)

Lol!  Grin

They usually reserve that special honor for the Pope, but I'm sure they regard me as an antichrist, anyway.

It would be funny if it weren't so sad. Those folks actually see themselves as the heirs of historic Christianity.

They just do not have a clue.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: