OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 07:45:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday Fasts  (Read 1589 times) Average Rating: 0
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: March 18, 2006, 10:54:57 PM »

My understanding of the canons is that we are not to fast on Saturdays and yet we are not to eat meat during the Fast(s) even on Saturday and Sundays. Is there a difference between fasting and abstinence in ancient Christianity that is obscured nowadays?
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 12:43:12 AM »

Yes, fasting is about how much you eat and when you eat it...abstinence is something completely different.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 01:49:47 AM »

As I understand this, the "fasting" that is forbidden on Saturdays and Sundays (with the exception of Holy Saturday) is the strict fast of not eating anything until sundown.  (This prohibition of fasting on Saturdays except for Holy Saturday explains why Holy Saturday is the only Saturday for which a Vesperal Divine Liturgy is prescribed.)  Alluding to greekchristian's response, not eating meat or dairy is more the definition of "abstinence," which is still required of us even during the Saturdays and Sundays of Lent.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 09:26:48 AM »

As I understand this, the "fasting" that is forbidden on Saturdays and Sundays (with the exception of Holy Saturday) is the strict fast of not eating anything until sundown.  (This prohibition of fasting on Saturdays except for Holy Saturday explains why Holy Saturday is the only Saturday for which a Vesperal Divine Liturgy is prescribed.)  Alluding to greekchristian's response, not eating meat or dairy is more the definition of "abstinence," which is still required of us even during the Saturdays and Sundays of Lent.

Exactly the way Fr. Dad explained it to me awhile ago.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Cassiel

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 02:05:25 PM »

Sorry - I know this is an old thread I'm ressurecting, but it raises a question for me.  I think I spaced out during the catechism class where fasting was explained, because I missed the part about not fasting on Saturday and Sunday.  I realized while I was at a retreat, weeks ago, that the strict fast must be relaxed on Saturday and Sunday, because they fed us three times and snacks were available (this was at a monastery, too).  I know, I know, I should have run to my spiritual father with this question probably, but is it the case that the fasting rule is relaxed on the weekend while the abstinence rule is not?

More than you should want to know about Cassiel.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »

The abstinence rule is also relaxed in that wine and oil are permitted on Saturdays and Sundays.
Tags: fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: