Author Topic: Saturday Fasts  (Read 1845 times)

Offline DavidH

• High Elder
    • Signature Landscape Designs
Saturday Fasts
« on: March 18, 2006, 10:54:57 PM »
My understanding of the canons is that we are not to fast on Saturdays and yet we are not to eat meat during the Fast(s) even on Saturday and Sundays. Is there a difference between fasting and abstinence in ancient Christianity that is obscured nowadays?

Offline GiC

• Resident Atheist
  • Site Supporter
  • Merarches
Re: Saturday Fasts
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 12:43:12 AM »
Yes, fasting is about how much you eat and when you eat it...abstinence is something completely different.
"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 01:49:47 AM »
As I understand this, the "fasting" that is forbidden on Saturdays and Sundays (with the exception of Holy Saturday) is the strict fast of not eating anything until sundown.  (This prohibition of fasting on Saturdays except for Holy Saturday explains why Holy Saturday is the only Saturday for which a Vesperal Divine Liturgy is prescribed.)  Alluding to greekchristian's response, not eating meat or dairy is more the definition of "abstinence," which is still required of us even during the Saturdays and Sundays of Lent.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 09:26:48 AM »
As I understand this, the "fasting" that is forbidden on Saturdays and Sundays (with the exception of Holy Saturday) is the strict fast of not eating anything until sundown.  (This prohibition of fasting on Saturdays except for Holy Saturday explains why Holy Saturday is the only Saturday for which a Vesperal Divine Liturgy is prescribed.)  Alluding to greekchristian's response, not eating meat or dairy is more the definition of "abstinence," which is still required of us even during the Saturdays and Sundays of Lent.

Exactly the way Fr. Dad explained it to me awhile ago.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Cassiel

• More than you should want to know about me - Annichka.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 02:05:25 PM »
Sorry - I know this is an old thread I'm ressurecting, but it raises a question for me.  I think I spaced out during the catechism class where fasting was explained, because I missed the part about not fasting on Saturday and Sunday.  I realized while I was at a retreat, weeks ago, that the strict fast must be relaxed on Saturday and Sunday, because they fed us three times and snacks were available (this was at a monastery, too).  I know, I know, I should have run to my spiritual father with this question probably, but is it the case that the fasting rule is relaxed on the weekend while the abstinence rule is not?
More than you should want to know about Cassiel.

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »
The abstinence rule is also relaxed in that wine and oil are permitted on Saturdays and Sundays.