Author Topic: "We ask these in the name of Jesus"  (Read 422 times)

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
"We ask these in the name of Jesus"
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:20 PM »
In almost all protestant prayers, I noticed that it ends with "We ask these in the name of Jesus" or another variation of it. I am guessing the usage of this in prayer comes from John 14:13 . So I guess the usage is Biblical.

Till I went off to college, I had no exposure to any protestant prayers. I had only attended Orthodox services and eastern-rite (Syro-Malabar) Roman Catholic services till then. I have never heard prayers end that way in Church. Is this because I have not been paying enough attention ? Are there Orthodox prayers that end with "We ask these in the name of Jesus" or a variation of it ? If we don't have Orthodox prayers that end like that; is there a theological reason ?  

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:17:00 PM by dhinuus »
NULL

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: "We ask these in the name of Jesus"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:24:51 PM »
I can't recall any (EO) prayers with anything resembling that ending. It is also worth noting that the use of the name Jesus by itself in hymns and prayers is very rare. Overwhelmingly, Jesus Christ is used, as well as other terms specific to Him, such as God the Word.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • If you don't think, you shouldn't talk!
  • Faith: Alpaca Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 12:45:47 AM »
Former Protestant- we always ended our prayers with "In Jesus' name we pray, Amen."  or just "In Jesus' name, Amen."

Interesting thread.
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:07:50 AM »
Former Protestant- we always ended our prayers with "In Jesus' name we pray, Amen."  or just "In Jesus' name, Amen."

Interesting thread.

Yep.

I remember a radio preacher once emphasizing that Christians are only to pray to the Father, and that Christians merely pray in Jesus' name (or ask things in his name, like the OP) who serves as a mediator. Most Protestants don't go that far in saying prayer is only to the Father and not the Son, but I think the reasoning is similar in affirming Jesus' role as mediator between us and the Father.

Which leads me to realize that much of my prayer experience growing up was oddly subordinationist or binitarian, with its distinct lack of the Holy Spirit or just asking to acquire it as if she's some sort of energy.

Anyway, to the OP - I'm not sure about OO, but I haven't seen it among EO that I can recall. I have, however, seen it among some Latin Catholics.

Offline Severian

• Aspiring Allopathic Ankle Orthodontist
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 02:52:36 AM »
When praying the Lord's prayer in the Coptic Church we end it with "in Christ Jesus our Lord for thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen." Otherwise, we pray to each member of the Trinity individually or all three at the same time.
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

May the 21 new martyrs pray for us all.

Please, remember me in your prayers

Lord, protect Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq.

Online xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Protokentarchos
  • St. John the Merciful
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 09:07:03 AM »
Protestants elevate the name of Christ over that of the rest of the Godhead. Just like the Jehovah's Witnesses do to the Father, and Charismatics do in the name of the Holy Spirit.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (4/6/2015)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

قدوس لله قدوس القوي قدوس الذي لا يموت ارحمنا

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
  • Archon
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:12:41 AM »
Protestants elevate the name of Christ over that of the rest of the Godhead. Just like the Jehovah's Witnesses do to the Father, and Charismatics do in the name of the Holy Spirit.

Well said.  I think it's best to begin and end our prayers with our traditional Trinitarian usage.
“Never confuse the person formed in the image of God, with the evil that is in him; because evil is but a chance misfortune, an illness, a devilish reverie. But the very essence of the person is the image of God, and this remains in him despite every disfigurement.”

St. John of Kronstadt