OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 04:07:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "We ask these in the name of Jesus"  (Read 317 times) Average Rating: 0
dhinuus
Elder

« on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:20 PM »

In almost all protestant prayers, I noticed that it ends with "We ask these in the name of Jesus" or another variation of it. I am guessing the usage of this in prayer comes from John 14:13 . So I guess the usage is Biblical.

Till I went off to college, I had no exposure to any protestant prayers. I had only attended Orthodox services and eastern-rite (Syro-Malabar) Roman Catholic services till then. I have never heard prayers end that way in Church. Is this because I have not been paying enough attention ? Are there Orthodox prayers that end with "We ask these in the name of Jesus" or a variation of it ? If we don't have Orthodox prayers that end like that; is there a theological reason ?  

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:17:00 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:24:51 PM »

I can't recall any (EO) prayers with anything resembling that ending. It is also worth noting that the use of the name Jesus by itself in hymns and prayers is very rare. Overwhelmingly, Jesus Christ is used, as well as other terms specific to Him, such as God the Word.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 12:45:47 AM »

Former Protestant- we always ended our prayers with "In Jesus' name we pray, Amen."  or just "In Jesus' name, Amen."

Interesting thread.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:07:50 AM »

Former Protestant- we always ended our prayers with "In Jesus' name we pray, Amen."  or just "In Jesus' name, Amen."

Interesting thread.

Yep.

I remember a radio preacher once emphasizing that Christians are only to pray to the Father, and that Christians merely pray in Jesus' name (or ask things in his name, like the OP) who serves as a mediator. Most Protestants don't go that far in saying prayer is only to the Father and not the Son, but I think the reasoning is similar in affirming Jesus' role as mediator between us and the Father.

Which leads me to realize that much of my prayer experience growing up was oddly subordinationist or binitarian, with its distinct lack of the Holy Spirit or just asking to acquire it as if she's some sort of energy.

Anyway, to the OP - I'm not sure about OO, but I haven't seen it among EO that I can recall. I have, however, seen it among some Latin Catholics.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 02:52:36 AM »

When praying the Lord's prayer in the Coptic Church we end it with "in Christ Jesus our Lord for thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen." Otherwise, we pray to each member of the Trinity individually or all three at the same time.

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 09:07:03 AM »

Protestants elevate the name of Christ over that of the rest of the Godhead. Just like the Jehovah's Witnesses do to the Father, and Charismatics do in the name of the Holy Spirit.

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:12:41 AM »

Protestants elevate the name of Christ over that of the rest of the Godhead. Just like the Jehovah's Witnesses do to the Father, and Charismatics do in the name of the Holy Spirit.

Well said.  I think it's best to begin and end our prayers with our traditional Trinitarian usage.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: