OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 09:50:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Friday service  (Read 2236 times) Average Rating: 0
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« on: April 01, 2007, 07:44:02 AM »

Hello! I'm a Romanian Orthodox. I was wondering if the hymn that we call "Prohodul Domnului" - Lord's Funeral Service in a rough English translation exists in other traditions.
It is very long and the Good Friday evening service in the Romanian Orthodox Churches consists mostly of it.

It starts with:

"In mormant, Viata,
Pus ai fost, Hristoase,
Si s-au spaimantat ostirile ingeresti,
Plecaciunea Ta cea multa preamarind."

Rough translation:

In a tomb, oh Life,
They put you, Christ,
And the the angel armies became frightened,
Your great prosternation prasing.

I've found this on goarch.org:

"Good Friday Evening - The Lamentation

(The service is Matins of Saturday morning sung by anticipation Friday evening.)

It consists of psalms, hymns and readings, dealing with the death of Christ, in contrast to His divinity, and in expectation of His Resurrection. One of the hymns relates: "He who holds all things is raised up on the Cross and all creation laments to see Him hang naked on the Tree". The thoughtful, and well-written Odes,, sung by the choir, compare the Compassion of God and the cruelty of man; the Might of God and the moral weakness of man. The Odes picture all Creation trembling when witnessing its Creator hung by His own creatures: "Creation was moved . . . with intense astonishment when it beheld Thee hung in Golgotha". The Odes remind us of the vision of Isaiah, who saw Christ, "the unwaning light of the manifestation", and cried aloud, "The dead indeed shall arise and all those on earth shall rejoice". During this service the Body of Christ is carried in procession around the church. In some parishes the entire flower-bedecked Sepulcher, symbolizing the Tomb, is carried in the procession.

The entire congregation joins in singing the, three parts of the "Hymns of Praise" (there are approximately 300 hymns, but only a few are sung). After these hymns are sung, the priest sprinkles the Sepulcher and the whole congregation with fragrant water. There is a simultaneous praise of both the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ with their purpose of the redemption of man. We no longer lament the sufferings of the Crucified One; we now lament chiefly for our own sins because we are far from God. So these services should have a rather personal meaning of repentance and of strong faith in God."

Is this hymn one of those "Hymns of Praise" or "odes" mentioned on goarch?
Thank you. Have a blessed Holy Week!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 07:46:47 AM by ma2000 » Logged

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
ma2000
Elder

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 08:13:27 AM »

I found it sung in Greek, but I don't know the its' name in Greek...

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 05:44:09 PM »

It appears to be the same as the Lamentations that are mentioned in the Goarch article.  In the Greek practice there are 3 stanzas of the Lamentations (Egomia in Greek), two of which sound more similar, while the third is in a completely different mode and sounds different.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 06:07:48 PM »

It appears to be the same as the Lamentations that are mentioned in the Goarch article.  In the Greek practice there are 3 stanzas of the Lamentations (Egomia in Greek), two of which sound more similar, while the third is in a completely different mode and sounds different.
This is very similar to the Russian practice, as well.  The three stases of Lamentation use Psalm 119 (118 according to the Septuagint) as their structural foundation, so if you read all of the verses of Lamentation, you will also read the majority of this longest of all Psalms.
ma2000
Elder

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 02:41:17 AM »

thanks

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »

This is very similar to the Russian practice, as well.  The three stases of Lamentation use Psalm 119 (118 according to the Septuagint) as their structural foundation, so if you read all of the verses of Lamentation, you will also read the majority of this longest of all Psalms.

We have the Psalm 118 verses with the stases as well, but 95% of the parishes I've been to have told me that they don't use them.  I've only heard of it being done at a monastery (and we did it at school while we were decorating the Kouvouklion).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 06:44:35 PM »

We have the Psalm 118 verses with the stases as well, but 95% of the parishes I've been to have told me that they don't use them.  I've only heard of it being done at a monastery (and we did it at school while we were decorating the Kouvouklion).

We do every other for the first two stases and every verse for the third.  We do them to the Byz melodies according to the HTM booklet.  My priest said the Russian melodies he remembered were so boring that his parish would never do those...and around that same time the HTM book was released.
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 08:22:17 AM »

[Right click>Save Target as]

Lamentations-1st Stanza
Lamentations-2nd Stanza
Lamentations-3rd Stanza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"