OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:00:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Family Friendly Videos, Books and Websites  (Read 5910 times) Average Rating: 0
aurelia
High Elder

« on: March 17, 2006, 09:02:52 AM »

Post your links and suggestions for good books and videos to share with the kids.  If there is an age level share that too.  If there are links to websites that you post, I will copy them up here to the top post for easy reference.

Veggietales/321 Penguins http://bigidea.com/ Fantastic service for online orders, btw.  fast, correct, and delightful packaging.

aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 09:04:15 AM »

To start with, from Ebor, one of my all time favorities, Veggietales!

Videos:

VeggieTales!  They teach good lessons, but are fun and not pedantic.  There are plenty of little jokes and references that the grownups can catch while the children can enjoy them too, so one can stand hearing them over and over and over more times without maybe going straight up the wall.  

The first one our oldest latched onto was "The Toy that Saved Christmas" about a toy named "Buzz Saw Louie" (with a working saw built into his right arm) who realizes that there's more to Christmas then greed, so he escapes from the factory to find out what.  The Silly song is about Larry waiting for Santa while he is visited by a bank robber, a "savage Norseman" and a rep from the IRS.

Others include:  "Where's God when I'm Scared?" about fear  "Minnesota Cuke" about bullying "God Wants me to Forgive them?" - forgiveness  "Madame Blueberry" - envy of others and wanting more more more "Larry Boy and the Rumor Weed" and "Larry Boy and the Fib from Outer Space" Larry the Cucumber as a superhero battling rumors and lies.  "Lord of the Beans" - using ones gifts wisely "King George and the Ducky" - retelling the story of David and Bathsheba for children about coveting others things.  "Duke and the Pie War" - From the book of Ruth on helping others and not giving into to prejudice.  "Rack, Shack and Benny" the three young men in the fiery furnace as taken to Mr. Nebby K. Nezzer's chocolate bunny factory.  "Lyle the Kindly Viking" sharing  and many more.

Many of the videos have "Silly Songs with Larry" that are very funny.  "The Dance of the Cucumber" sung in Spanish by Larry in "authentic  Argentinian Garb" is a favourite,  "Pizza Angel" is a take on 50's rock.  They have a good music crew with a fine sense of parody and humour.

Also from "Big Idea" is "3-2-1 Penguins" that teaches good lessons from the Bible in the context of a small space ship crewed by 4 penguins (is it real or the children's imaginations)?  There are 6 that we have including "The Carnival of Complaining" "Trouble on Planet Wait-your-turn" and "Runaway Pride at Light Station Kilowatt"

Ebor
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 10:37:32 AM »

A series of picture books that are very enjoyable (and again at least in this house the grownups can stand the repetition unlike some books that I could mention):

The "Little Critter" books by Mercer Mayer and his wife Gina Meyer
http://www.littlecritter.com/

The books are papercovered with pleasent drawings and each story covers one idea for example: "Just Me and My Dad" is about going camping.  "Just Shopping with Mom" going to the store with 3 children.
In "Happy Easter, Little Critter" along with baskets and hunting for eggs, the Critter family does go to church. (Sorry, it's not an EO scene, but they *are* in church for Easter).  Mercer Mayer says that his books are drawn from things that happened to him when he was a boy.

Is it OK if I post some other books/series/authors/illustrators that I think would be good for small to medium children?  

Ebor
(So many books, so little time)  Wink

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 02:05:12 PM »

Go for it. Post for any age group.  Right now my 8 and 10 year olds are working through Harry Potter, but also the one got out Winnie The Pooh.  I like Little Critter too.  Wink
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 10:50:20 AM »

Thanks.  We have a large collection of children's books (as part of the general *large* number of books in the house  Cheesy )  You may never be able to stop me now.

Other picture books:

Rosemary Wells has done some wonderful books gentle without being sappy or pedantic and full of humour.  The "Max and Ruby" series such as "Max's Chocolate Chicken" retellings of "Pandora's Box" and "Midas" (Midas is a little bunny boy who does not want to eat his fruits and vegetables.  So he turns things (and his family) into various desserts.)  Other characters who are in a number of her stories are Yoko, a cat who is Japanese but goes to "Hilltop School" with some of Wells' other creations.

A particular favourite here is the "Bunny Planet" set:  3 books about a child (drawn as a rabbit) who has a particularly bad day so they "need a trip to the Bunny Planet"  when they have "the day that should have been". They are "First Tomato" "Moss Pillows" and "The Island Light".

She also wrote a series of books about a small white terrier named "McDuff" that are illustrated by Sn Jeffers what is very nice.

http://www.rosemarywells.com/

Another good one is Tomie de Paola.  His picture books about growing up with his Italian and Irish grandparents such as: "Nana Upstairs & Nana Downstairs" "The Art Lesson" are very good and support love and respect in familes.  "Now One Foot, Now the Other " is about a boy and his grandfather and what happens sometimes when a grandparent gets ill and can't do what they used to do.

He as written and illustrated Irish and Italian folk tales and a number of books on religious themes: Bible Stories, St. Patrick, St. Christopher, St. Mary the Virgin and a good number of others.  He also has illustrated books with religious themes by other authors such as "The Holy Twins: Benedict and ScholasticaTHE HOLY TWINS: BENEDICT AND SCHOLASTICA" by Kathleen Norris.

http://www.tomie.com/books/index.html

Not on a religious idea, but good entertaining fun books for other children:  The "Asterix and Obelix" series.  They're French comic strip style about a village of Gauls during the time of Julius Ceasar.  Lots of fun and nothing 'naughty' that I can think of.

We have a good number of older children's books too.  Our middle child (just turned 10) read the "Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle" books and likes them alot.  

I'll be back with more  Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 04:35:54 PM »

Kevin Henkes picture books like "Chrysanthemum" (a girl/mouse with that name and how she gets teased but it all comes out well in the end.) and "Owen" (being attached to a 'blankie') and other books that are gently funny while looking at some of the problems children can have.  "Julius" is about an older sister's jealousy when a new baby brother is born, for example.

William Joyce books are wonderful and very quirky.  Things like "Dinosaur Bob and his Adventures with the Family Lazardo" and "A Day with Wilber Robinson" (a very eccentric family that loves each other while having an octopus for a butler and playing with trains means a full sized diesel in the house.

I'm trying to straighten out the book shelves, so I should have more titles

Ebor

Tabitha

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 04:42:41 PM »

Can anyone recommend good Orthodox books or stories that are appropriate for children?  I do not have children at this point in time, but was instructed by my spiritual father to start building a library now so when God decides to bless my husband and myself, we will be (fairly) prepared.  Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Turning to the dead body, Peter said, “Tabitha, arise.”  And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up… and it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed on the Lord.
(Acts 9:40-42)
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 05:18:02 PM »

Light and Life have many, many children's books, tapes, DVDs, etc.

So also does the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese's Dept. of Religious Education, which also has a downloadable catalogue.

Regina Orthodox Press also has a children's list.

I'm sure there are others, but these are ones in my parish's bookstore...and my Presbytera is the bookstore manager!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tabitha

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 03:16:56 AM »

Thank you for the suggestion, do you or your wife have any personal recommendations?  I have been assisting in my church's Sunday school for the 5 to 8-year olds (The church is quite small and there is usually no more than ten of us including the main teacher)  and so we have been reading a few stories here and there, I was just wondering if any families had any certain special orthodox books or stories or lives of saints that were particularly close to their hearts?

Turning to the dead body, Peter said, “Tabitha, arise.”  And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up… and it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed on the Lord.
(Acts 9:40-42)
Linnapaw

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: MP

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 12:36:53 PM »

I would recommend "Sophie Scholl: The Final Days", as a great movie, though it's probably appropriate for 14+, not because of any sex or bad language (there isn't any) but because it's a really serious film, and could be quite scary for anybody under that age.  The other thing is that the movie is in German, and unless one speaks the language, it's not dubbed, but subtitled.

That being said, it's a great depiction of a woman with a lot of courage.  Besides that, one of the men that was in her "organization" was Alexander Schmorell, who is being glorified with the New Martyrs of Russia.  (Unfortunately, there's only one scene in this particular film that includes his character.) 

Man is free, to be sure, but without the true God he is defenseless against the principle of evil. He is a like rudderless ship, at the mercy of the storm, an infant without his mother, a cloud dissolving into thin air.
-H. Scholl/A. Schmorell
Clancy Boy

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 01:35:40 AM »

Алёша Попович!

Bonus, he's Orthodox.

And here's the whole movie:
http://smotri.com/video/view/?id=v171810ea6

Yes it's all in Russian, but little kids don't care.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:37:38 AM by Clancy Boy » Logged
Milica

Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »

Post your links and suggestions for good books and videos to share with the kids.  If there is an age level share that too.  If there are links to websites that you post, I will copy them up here to the top post for easy reference.

Veggietales/321 Penguins http://bigidea.com/ Fantastic service for online orders, btw.  fast, correct, and delightful packaging.

When I was 10, I read The Life of St. Sava, it's good for kids who like nonfiction. Smiley

Glory to Thee, O our God, glory to Thee!

O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.

O Lord, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, by the prayers of Thy most pure Mother, and all the saints, have mercy upon us.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 06:17:46 AM »

http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/

Tips for encouraging literacy and numeracy, lots of activity sheets to print, games to play online, and above all, free tablet-friendly ebooks for kids aged 3-11.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 08:12:47 AM »

Алёша Попович!

Bonus, he's Orthodox.

And here's the whole movie:
http://smotri.com/video/view/?id=v171810ea6

Yes it's all in Russian, but little kids don't care.

LOL, gypsies at 10m 35s.  Comin' to steal your stuff.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »

Thought to bump this up with a few suggestions of TV series for very young children. They air periodically on BBC and not all are available on DVD, but YouTube can fill that gap.

Small Potatoes
Little Charley Bear
Tinga Tinga Tales
Octonauts

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags: books 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: