Author Topic: "Love your neighbor as yourself" article  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Bizzlebin

• Theologian
  • High Elder
  • MonkBot, Go Forth!
    • BizzlebinLIVE
"Love your neighbor as yourself" article
« on: March 17, 2006, 12:23:47 AM »
There was a very amazing article, about an Orthodox priest(?) who had a talk with a rabbi on the verse "Love your neighbor as yourself." The rabbi went to talk about how this verse it often butchered and taken to mean "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." He went on to speak in more detail about that.

Now, I cannot find this article after much searching! Does anyone recall this article, and/or have a link to it?
Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: "Love your neighbor as yourself" article
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 03:34:37 PM »
There was a very amazing article, about an Orthodox priest(?) who had a talk with a rabbi on the verse "Love your neighbor as yourself." The rabbi went to talk about how this verse it often butchered and taken to mean "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." He went on to speak in more detail about that.

Now, I cannot find this article after much searching! Does anyone recall this article, and/or have a link to it?

I'm pretty sure my pastor just quoted this article in his Forgiveness Sunday homily.  He gave credit to Fr. Thomas Hopko (OCA) as being the priest in this interview.  My priest also seemed to believe that the interview was conducted back in the mid 1980's.  I'm sorry I can't give you any more information than that.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Bizzlebin

• Theologian
  • High Elder
  • MonkBot, Go Forth!
    • BizzlebinLIVE
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 02:35:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure my pastor just quoted this article in his Forgiveness Sunday homily.  He gave credit to Fr. Thomas Hopko (OCA) as being the priest in this interview.  My priest also seemed to believe that the interview was conducted back in the mid 1980's.  I'm sorry I can't give you any more information than that.

Thanks SOO much! That was the name I needed to narrow down my search and find the article!!

Here is the link to the actual article: http://www.starwire.com/CC/article/0,,PTID88558%7CCHID214340%7CCIID176272,00.html

This, however, is the full text of the interview: http://www.orthodoxnews.netfirms.com/24/Forgiveness%20-%20Breaking%20the%20Chain%20of%20Evil.htm

I won't lose it this time  ;)
Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 03:11:39 AM »
Here is the link to the actual article: http://www.starwire.com/CC/article/0,,PTID88558%7CCHID214340%7CCIID176272,00.html

This, however, is the full text of the interview: http://www.orthodoxnews.netfirms.com/24/Forgiveness%20-%20Breaking%20the%20Chain%20of%20Evil.htm

I won't lose it this time  ;)

Glad I could help you.  Thank you, as well, for making these links accessible to this forum.  I've been wondering what article my pastor quoted in his recent homily.  Now I can read it for myself. :)
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline DavidH

• High Elder
    • Signature Landscape Designs
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 08:31:30 PM »
THAT was an incredibly insightful commentary on the Second Greatest Commandment. Thank you for posting it!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 10:07:24 PM »
That was indeed amazing.  An article all should read.

Thank you.

God bless.

Mina
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.